Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki/How-To/FAQ: Start here if this is your first time visiting this thread
If you have done this trip please help improve the wiki!

Why would a DL SkyPesos member do this now that RDMs are earned on ticket cost?

Either for the MQMs, or to actually visit SIN FWIW there are posts in the thread about similar itineraries on AA.

How do I search for dates/prices?

One way is to use ITA Matrix. Click on "Advanced routing codes" and enter something along the lines of:
  • outbound: dl+ dtw nrt
  • inbound: dl+ nrt dtw

NOTE: Basic Economy (E) fares have been spotted on this route and come with heavy restrictions. If you want to exclude E fares from your search you can add f ~bc=e in the separate "extension codes" box

See post 1329 for some screenshots (which are now out of date, the routing codes and extension code have been split into two separate input boxes)

You may wish to experiment with things like dtw,atl or x or even x+. Read the advanced routing codes help for more ideas. (DL no longer flies JFK-NRT nonstop)

I found an itinerary that works for me, how do I book it?
  • you can try a multi-city booking on Kayak or Google Flights and click through to Delta (you can save some effort by omitting the implicit/forced connection through NRT for example)
  • if you are comfortable installing add-ons etc. you can use the ITA userscript (see the wiki at the top of that thread)
  • for the less technically-inclined there is also the Book with Matrix helper site (and its related FT thread)
  • call in if none of the above methods work or e.g. you want to add a stopover

Do I need a visa?

No visa is needed for transits (or in fact for visiting up to 90 days, subject to qualifications)
You can get your boarding passes for your Delta return flight at Transit Lounge D, which opens 3 hours before departure.

What are the best seats?

Assuming you're stuck in Y (no GUCs etc.)
Picking a seat (Delta One, Boeing 777)
Master A330-300 (A333) Best Seats Thread

Will there be wifi on the international legs?

DL now touts International Wi-Fi is available on 100% of all wide body, long-haul aircraft providing near global coverage. Given "long-haul" this may not apply to NRT-SIN.

777s should all have wifi: thread #1, thread #2; although it is still subject to coverage/availability, seems to drop out in the far northern parts of the route, and coming down the Russian coast it seemed like http was slow but working and anything else like https took forever and/or was blocked

Delta doesn't seem to sell the Gogo global day pass on their web site but you can buy it directly from Gogo. You can use the same pass on both domestic and international flights in any order as long as it is within 24 hours.

FlexPerks VISA single-flight passes can NOT be used on international flights (they do not appear as a redemption choice when you sign in to Gogo in flight)

Other related threads:

Delta 763 International Wifi Installation Progress (especially posts #7 and #9)

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

SIN airport facilities

If you are doing a quick turn, you can remain airside the whole time. There are a number of 24-hour food outlets in the transit mall areas (center of each terminal)

Each of the 3 terminals has their Transit Hotel on Level 3. Prices are similar for all:
-Terminal 1 - Plaza Premium Lounge recently opened Aerotel. Book at: Aerotel Terminal 1
-Terminal 2 and 3 - Harilela Hospitality runs an Ambassador Transit Hotel in each Terminal, above the Orchid Garden and Movie Theater, respectively. Book at: Ambassador Transit Hotels

Note that you can actually stay in either of the 3, regardless of which Terminal you arrive in. However, when leaving the airport, you need to exit through the same Terminal as that you arrived in.

FT thread on Singapore Airport Lounges

Airport website links:
NOTE: even though the DNATA Sky View lounge lists "Delta Airlines" on the airport web page and appears on a skyteam.com lounge search, it is considered by Delta to be third-party-operated, thus if you are STE+ in Y you will not have access. People have reported gaining access on an upgrade to J but YMMV.

There is free wifi either by receiving a text message code, or by scanning your passport. Previous posts mention just giving an email address, maybe try at the info desks. There are also free Internet stations.

NOTE for U.S. and other ~110V travelers: Singapore uses 230V/50Hz. There are plenty of USB charging ports in the seating areas, and most wall adapters for electronics these days are dual voltage (look for writing on the plug like "Input: 100V-240V") but if not or if you need to plug something else in, bring plug and voltage adapters to be safe.

Things to do in SIN

In descriptions of things to see/do airside, when you see "garden" read "smoking area" especially if you won't be there during daylight, the only other main reason people go there is to smoke.

SkyTrain between terminals runs from 5am-2:30am but you can always walk between any of the terminals as well.

Little More than 24 Hours in Singapore especially post #5 in that thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25605453-post1047.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24452870-post836.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24064053-post794.html
Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN
3 perfect days in Singapore
Singapore's MRT (Mass Rapid Transit)
Destinations > Asia > Singapore FT forum
cheap transportation to Marina Bay Sands (or any hotel) for S$9

Things to do on a long connection through NRT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24426838-post835.html

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

There is free wifi in NRT.

Returning to the US

Even if you don't have Global Entry, CBP has a Mobile Passport Control app -- see program info and app website for d/l and list of participating airports which includes ATL (but not DTW)

You will have to pick up checked bags if any, and then everyone has to go through TSA security. International connections usually have their own checkpoint but it may not have PreCheck or CLEAR. If you want to take advantage of either of these, see airport-specific info below.

Through Delta's partnership CLEAR is free for DM, $79 for other Medallions, and $99 for General Members. Click here for more info on the partnership or to sign up.

Relevant FT threads:
Returning via ATL:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

CLEAR is now open in ATL but only at the domestic end.

For PreCheck, if you arrive in F, when you exit the hallway from customs there is a ticket desk in front of you. Normally the belt for re-checking bags on the left, and TSA screening beyond that. For PreCheck turn instead to the right (away from the drop-off luggage belt) and exit into the arrivals area, go up the escalators, and then you use the regular F terminal security checkpoint.

(It seems like NRT-ATL usually lands in E though... anyone have info to share?)

Returning via DTW:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

When you exit customs normally you are directed to the right for rescreening. For PreCheck or CLEAR exit to the left as if you are an local Detroit arriving passenger and you will see some escalators in front of you. Go up 3 sets of escalators (there is a security checkpoint after the 2nd set but it does not have PreCheck). There is also an elevator.

The configuration as of Jan 2017 was, CLEAR without PreCheck was near the top of the escalators. If you have both CLEAR and PreCheck, there is a separate CLEAR lane on the right.

Duty Free Liquids

This post from 2014 says liquor etc must be checked as they cannot pass through screening in NRT/TSA. However this may have changed since then, and duty-free purchases in a Sealed Tamper-Evident Bag (STEB) might be permitted:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/secu...ection_ss.html

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

FT: Bringing Duty-Free Liquids into USA with a Connecting Flight

If you have any experience with this, please share!

IRROPS handling:

Good at least for one DM: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21923836-post7.html

Trip Reports/Tips:

2016: Dec, Nov, Oct #1, Oct #2, Oct #3, Sep, Apr, Feb

2015: Nov #1, Nov #2, Oct, Sep

2014: Dec, Nov #1, Nov #2, Nov #3, Nov #4, Nov #5, Oct, Sep #1, Sep #2

2013: Oct
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:51 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by creasekeeper
That is GREAT to know! I've run a few extra legs at times since I was worried my entire itinerary would be canceled due to missing a segment.

Thanks so much for the reply, and Happy Running!
Your entire itinerary *will* be canceled if you no-show for a segment. Just that, if it's the last segment, then you don't really care

There are lots of threads about hidden city ticketing/skipping the last leg on FT and in the Delta forum in particular.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by Csfing1
. Nichelle, thank you for your posts and helping answer questions that readers ask. To all MRers please post your reports and comments and anyone with questions or comments please post and especially if you have lower fares! Have a wonderful day and great Week! Blessings!
You're welcome! I've learned so much from others here that I am more than happy to help. Unless some crazy awesome airfare pops up, I'm done with MR's for the year. But if I can help someone with creative routing, just ask.

Originally Posted by creasekeeper
Maybe a noob question, but I have read horror stories of people MRing, jumping off a leg early to reposition home, and losing all mileage credit for the preceding legs....Maybe this is only with certain airlines? Figured I would mention it just in case....Cheers!
I've skipped the last leg and have never had an issue. I don't do it frequently. But I've certainly done it before.

Ditto to what Zorak said

Thanks for mentioning it, though. You never know what tip or question can help avoid issues.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
To rephrase more accurately, if you no-show a segment, they will cancel the rest of your itinerary from that point onward. You should still get credit for anything you've flown up until that point.

These sorts of discussions usually include warnings that the T&C of FF programs forbid this as an intentional practice. OTOH it seems like if you don't abuse it they don't really take any other action (besides what's stated above). But YMMV.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Unfortunately it appears one of these may be in my future if I intend to make PM or DM this year. I'm already well on my way to PM MQDs, but my MQMs aren't keeping pace and will probably die out around 60K by EOY
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Unfortunately it appears one of these may be in my future if I intend to make PM or DM this year. I'm already well on my way to PM MQDs, but my MQMs aren't keeping pace and will probably die out around 60K by EOY
Ditto I don't mind the flight times, I just wish there was more availability of these as weekend/3 day weekend runs. Vs Monday-Thursday. Will easily be between PM/DM in the next month or two, just wanna push over that last hump to secure DM
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2.6 MM
Weekend MR

They are available but usually at a higher price and that is why the M-Th times are used to get the lowest possible price. When you see a low price try other dates near that time including weekend dates and see what the price is. Prices are all about load factors and as seats are filled prices go up. There are usually more open seats on M-Th dates giving lower prices. Thanks for your comments.
Have a Great Day and Blessings to All!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Ditto I don't mind the flight times, I just wish there was more availability of these as weekend/3 day weekend runs. Vs Monday-Thursday. Will easily be between PM/DM in the next month or two, just wanna push over that last hump to secure DM
I am doing Wednesday-Monday, but I could have done Thursday-Monday FYI. ^
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
There are definitely weekends available. In fact, almost all of my SIN trips over the years have been over long weekends. For example, there were flights out of LAS over Memorial Day weekend for $700.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by nichelle
There are definitely weekends available. In fact, almost all of my SIN trips over the years have been over long weekends. For example, there were flights out of LAS over Memorial Day weekend for $700.
^+1....Great point Nichelle, currently just over $100 more expensive than I paid a few weeks back, but at a little over $0.03 per mile, still a very respectable price for a touch short of 23k miles....Throw in any re-positioning tacked onto that, and it becomes even more desirable at $811....
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by AdamY
I am doing Wednesday-Monday, but I could have done Thursday-Monday FYI. ^
Suppose I should clarify, finding ways to do weekend runs (thurs evening/friday-Sunday night) is difficult from MSP. I need to position for everything. So even doing just a NYC-SIN turn, the late return into NY misses the last flight home sunday, so id have to take monday as well.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Suppose I should clarify, finding ways to do weekend runs (thurs evening/friday-Sunday night) is difficult from MSP. I need to position for everything. So even doing just a NYC-SIN turn, the late return into NY misses the last flight home sunday, so id have to take monday as well.
<---------- MSP based as well

Now I understand. Mine have been over long weekends. You're right that it involves taking a day or two off depending upon the routing. Or if you are willing to skip the last leg, that can work as well. I've done a run out of NYC, but skipped the last DTW to NYC leg. Instead, I returned home from Detroit to MSP in order to get home on Sunday night. I hope I'm making sense.

edit: That one sounds a bit risky but it worked out fine.

Last edited by nichelle; Mar 30, 2017 at 6:18 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Positioning flights

Make sure they are booked separately and not linked if you are going to skip the last leg of your MR. Also for positioning flights if you are doing all the segs you may want to link in case your flights are delayed. Sometimes for my MR if they are from LAX will use miles as if I book 6 weeks or more in advance can usually get a flight SMF LAX for 11,000 SM and $11.20, if from SFO will drive to SFO. Haven't tried yet from LAS but will keep that in mind since Nichelle has mentioned it. Am looking at one in Sep and need to stay in SIN 5-7 days for work, will probably have to wait till Jul or Aug before prices will come down. For our trip to India leaving from LAX vs SMF the fare was $300-$400 less, that is often the case for SIN as well. Have a Great Day and Weekend! Please keep posting comments, lower prices and trip reports. Blessings to all!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:55 pm

For quasi-weekend trips, I see < $800 from MDW on Google Flights.

Most of these are Fri-Sun or Sat-Mon:

Aug 25-27, 26-28
Sep 1-3, 3-5 (Labor Day weekend), 22-24
Oct 13-15, 27-29, 28-30
Nov 3-5, 10-12, 23-25, 25-27 (Thanksgiving)

Note, I'm just going by the results calendar, haven't really tried to book these. A few come up as "call travel agent" so you may have to call in to book and/or might be cached inventory etc. so the price may jump at booking. But worth looking into. MDW-DTW-NRT-SIN RT is 21,528 MQMs based on milecalc. Some results may go through ATL for a bit more.

Under $600 Monday May 22-24, Tues 23-25, other $600+s in May
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:44 pm

<---------- MSP based as well

Now I understand. Mine have been over long weekends. You're right that it involves taking a day or two off depending upon the routing. Or if you are willing to skip the last leg, that can work as well. I've done a run out of NYC, but skipped the last DTW to NYC leg. Instead, I returned home from Detroit to MSP in order to get home on Sunday night. I hope I'm making sense.

edit: That one sounds a bit risky but it worked out fine.
Yea I try to avoid missing a leg at all costs, not only because I want the miles....but it can be risky. I've done it once before on a absurd run with 2 legs back to back and the 3rd leg like a month later in another country.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Important Lesson Emphasized

Found some really good fares LAX SIN coming back thru PDX yesterday am on DL.com for $375-$415 with v class fare with almost 18,000 MQM at 2.08 cpm. This was during the Labor Day time Sep 3-11. Prices were present for a few hours and when checked again 3-4 hrs later they were gone and in the $850+ range. Lesson - if you ever find a really good fare for a MR and there is any possibility you can do that MR book first and ask questions later as you always have 24 hrs to cancel without any loss of funds. Have never seen fares that low for that itinerary. My usual preference is LAX ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL LAX with routing thru DTW if it can be arranged without any significant change in price. Prices are high now even for fall and will usually come down in July and Aug for the fall months and than you will get some reasonable prices for Sep thru early Dec. Keep flying and support your favorite airline.
Happy Travels! Comments always welcome, post lower prices and trip reports. Blessings to all. 3 weeks from now will be in AMS enroute to India SMF LAX DTW AMS DEL ATQ DEL AMS LAX SMF. That trip will give about 19,000 MQM. Have a great weekend!
Thanks to Zorak, nichelle, xolinlevh, John Delta, all readers, and MRers and those who have posted questions or comments. Without them this thread would have ended a long time ago! Keep them coming!

Last edited by Csfing1; Apr 6, 2017 at 1:30 pm Reason: Add comments

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.