Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki/How-To/FAQ: Start here if this is your first time visiting this thread
If you have done this trip please help improve the wiki!

Why would a DL SkyPesos member do this now that RDMs are earned on ticket cost?

Either for the MQMs, or to actually visit SIN FWIW there are posts in the thread about similar itineraries on AA.

How do I search for dates/prices?

One way is to use ITA Matrix. Click on "Advanced routing codes" and enter something along the lines of:
  • outbound: dl+ dtw nrt
  • inbound: dl+ nrt dtw

NOTE: Basic Economy (E) fares have been spotted on this route and come with heavy restrictions. If you want to exclude E fares from your search you can add f ~bc=e in the separate "extension codes" box

See post 1329 for some screenshots (which are now out of date, the routing codes and extension code have been split into two separate input boxes)

You may wish to experiment with things like dtw,atl or x or even x+. Read the advanced routing codes help for more ideas. (DL no longer flies JFK-NRT nonstop)

I found an itinerary that works for me, how do I book it?
  • you can try a multi-city booking on Kayak or Google Flights and click through to Delta (you can save some effort by omitting the implicit/forced connection through NRT for example)
  • if you are comfortable installing add-ons etc. you can use the ITA userscript (see the wiki at the top of that thread)
  • for the less technically-inclined there is also the Book with Matrix helper site (and its related FT thread)
  • call in if none of the above methods work or e.g. you want to add a stopover

Do I need a visa?

No visa is needed for transits (or in fact for visiting up to 90 days, subject to qualifications)
You can get your boarding passes for your Delta return flight at Transit Lounge D, which opens 3 hours before departure.

What are the best seats?

Assuming you're stuck in Y (no GUCs etc.)
Picking a seat (Delta One, Boeing 777)
Master A330-300 (A333) Best Seats Thread

Will there be wifi on the international legs?

DL now touts International Wi-Fi is available on 100% of all wide body, long-haul aircraft providing near global coverage. Given "long-haul" this may not apply to NRT-SIN.

777s should all have wifi: thread #1, thread #2; although it is still subject to coverage/availability, seems to drop out in the far northern parts of the route, and coming down the Russian coast it seemed like http was slow but working and anything else like https took forever and/or was blocked

Delta doesn't seem to sell the Gogo global day pass on their web site but you can buy it directly from Gogo. You can use the same pass on both domestic and international flights in any order as long as it is within 24 hours.

FlexPerks VISA single-flight passes can NOT be used on international flights (they do not appear as a redemption choice when you sign in to Gogo in flight)

Other related threads:

Delta 763 International Wifi Installation Progress (especially posts #7 and #9)

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

SIN airport facilities

If you are doing a quick turn, you can remain airside the whole time. There are a number of 24-hour food outlets in the transit mall areas (center of each terminal)

Each of the 3 terminals has their Transit Hotel on Level 3. Prices are similar for all:
-Terminal 1 - Plaza Premium Lounge recently opened Aerotel. Book at: Aerotel Terminal 1
-Terminal 2 and 3 - Harilela Hospitality runs an Ambassador Transit Hotel in each Terminal, above the Orchid Garden and Movie Theater, respectively. Book at: Ambassador Transit Hotels

Note that you can actually stay in either of the 3, regardless of which Terminal you arrive in. However, when leaving the airport, you need to exit through the same Terminal as that you arrived in.

FT thread on Singapore Airport Lounges

Airport website links:
NOTE: even though the DNATA Sky View lounge lists "Delta Airlines" on the airport web page and appears on a skyteam.com lounge search, it is considered by Delta to be third-party-operated, thus if you are STE+ in Y you will not have access. People have reported gaining access on an upgrade to J but YMMV.

There is free wifi either by receiving a text message code, or by scanning your passport. Previous posts mention just giving an email address, maybe try at the info desks. There are also free Internet stations.

NOTE for U.S. and other ~110V travelers: Singapore uses 230V/50Hz. There are plenty of USB charging ports in the seating areas, and most wall adapters for electronics these days are dual voltage (look for writing on the plug like "Input: 100V-240V") but if not or if you need to plug something else in, bring plug and voltage adapters to be safe.

Things to do in SIN

In descriptions of things to see/do airside, when you see "garden" read "smoking area" especially if you won't be there during daylight, the only other main reason people go there is to smoke.

SkyTrain between terminals runs from 5am-2:30am but you can always walk between any of the terminals as well.

Little More than 24 Hours in Singapore especially post #5 in that thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25605453-post1047.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24452870-post836.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24064053-post794.html
Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN
3 perfect days in Singapore
Singapore's MRT (Mass Rapid Transit)
Destinations > Asia > Singapore FT forum
cheap transportation to Marina Bay Sands (or any hotel) for S$9

Things to do on a long connection through NRT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24426838-post835.html

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

There is free wifi in NRT.

Returning to the US

Even if you don't have Global Entry, CBP has a Mobile Passport Control app -- see program info and app website for d/l and list of participating airports which includes ATL (but not DTW)

You will have to pick up checked bags if any, and then everyone has to go through TSA security. International connections usually have their own checkpoint but it may not have PreCheck or CLEAR. If you want to take advantage of either of these, see airport-specific info below.

Through Delta's partnership CLEAR is free for DM, $79 for other Medallions, and $99 for General Members. Click here for more info on the partnership or to sign up.

Relevant FT threads:
Returning via ATL:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

CLEAR is now open in ATL but only at the domestic end.

For PreCheck, if you arrive in F, when you exit the hallway from customs there is a ticket desk in front of you. Normally the belt for re-checking bags on the left, and TSA screening beyond that. For PreCheck turn instead to the right (away from the drop-off luggage belt) and exit into the arrivals area, go up the escalators, and then you use the regular F terminal security checkpoint.

(It seems like NRT-ATL usually lands in E though... anyone have info to share?)

Returning via DTW:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

When you exit customs normally you are directed to the right for rescreening. For PreCheck or CLEAR exit to the left as if you are an local Detroit arriving passenger and you will see some escalators in front of you. Go up 3 sets of escalators (there is a security checkpoint after the 2nd set but it does not have PreCheck). There is also an elevator.

The configuration as of Jan 2017 was, CLEAR without PreCheck was near the top of the escalators. If you have both CLEAR and PreCheck, there is a separate CLEAR lane on the right.

Duty Free Liquids

This post from 2014 says liquor etc must be checked as they cannot pass through screening in NRT/TSA. However this may have changed since then, and duty-free purchases in a Sealed Tamper-Evident Bag (STEB) might be permitted:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/secu...ection_ss.html

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

FT: Bringing Duty-Free Liquids into USA with a Connecting Flight

If you have any experience with this, please share!

IRROPS handling:

Good at least for one DM: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21923836-post7.html

Trip Reports/Tips:

2016: Dec, Nov, Oct #1, Oct #2, Oct #3, Sep, Apr, Feb

2015: Nov #1, Nov #2, Oct, Sep

2014: Dec, Nov #1, Nov #2, Nov #3, Nov #4, Nov #5, Oct, Sep #1, Sep #2

2013: Oct
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2.6 MM
Prices on Aug 23

Prices the same as on Aug 12

A little less than last week, should go down in next two weeks, we will see!

LAX Departures
$1245.70 ai 25,096 MQM 4.96 cpm LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX

for Nov 11-14, 25-28, Jan 20-23, 27-30, higher on other dates.

SFO Departures
$1294.70ai 25,318 MQM 5.11 cpm SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO

for Nov 25-28, Jan 20-23, 27-30, 2014, other dates fare higher!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Prices on Aug 25. Prices lower for SMF and SFO departures than last week!

LAX Departures

for Nov 11-14, 25-28, Jan 20-23, 27-30, 2014, higher on other dates.

SFO Departures
$1219.70 ai 25,318 MQM 4.82 cpm SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO

for Nov 11-14, 25-28, Jan 20-23, 27-30, 2014, other dates fare higher!

SMF Departures
$1185.70 ai 24,542 MQM 4.83 cpm SMF ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL SMF

for Oct 7-10, Nov 18-21, Jan 27-30, 2014. Other dates are higher!

Will see if prices go any lower in next week, sure hope so!
Keep checking. Cheers!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Thanks for the update Csfing!

I would expect the fare to go down, as we are seeing very cheap fares to China recently...

2 questions:

Does the fare rule allow stopping over in NRT? I would like to visit SIN, but I think I only need a day or 2 there (small country!), and would rather spend 1-2 weeks in Japan for vacation.

Also, does this fare work anywhere else other than SFO/LAX? I'm based in DTW, so I would prefer a more local run (JFK/ATL/MSP/etc...). Also, I was lucky enough to get the double-asia promotion, but the double-mile only apply to the USA-ASIA segment, not total, so the SFO-ATL/JFK doesn't gain me very much...
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta Plat, USAirways Platinum, Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Excited to see the prices are slowing coming down. Which tool do you use to track this? I am based in Seattle and interested to follow similar itin but start ad end in Seattle.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wwkdes
Excited to see the prices are slowing coming down. Which tool do you use to track this? I am based in Seattle and interested to follow similar itin but start ad end in Seattle.
I use Delta.com and select flight by schedule rather than price, usually look for out and back so flights I have selected are for max MQM and lowest cpm. Have one for Nov 11-14 that gives a cost of 3.1 cpm when they had low fares several months ago. Look for a flight from SEA JFK or SEA ATL whichever will give you most miles at lowest cost and return via same route. Try and see what works best. Happy travels and if you schedule for Nov 11-14, let me know as my route is LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX. Am looking for one more in Oct or Nov but waiting for prices to go down if they will.

Happy travels, let me know what works out! Cheers
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Csfing1
I use Delta.com and select flight by schedule rather than price, usually look for out and back so flights I have selected are for max MQM and lowest cpm. Have one for Nov 11-14 that gives a cost of 3.1 cpm when they had low fares several months ago. Look for a flight from SEA JFK or SEA ATL whichever will give you most miles at lowest cost and return via same route. Try and see what works best. Happy travels and if you schedule for Nov 11-14, let me know as my route is LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX. Am looking for one more in Oct or Nov but waiting for prices to go down if they will.

Happy travels, let me know what works out! Cheers
Thanks for keeping up on this! Good fare and my schedule haven't coincided yet, but I keep watching.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

MR Asia or domestic

Originally Posted by chunky649
Thanks for the update Csfing!

I would expect the fare to go down, as we are seeing very cheap fares to China recently...

2 questions:

Does the fare rule allow stopping over in NRT? I would like to visit SIN, but I think I only need a day or 2 there (small country!), and would rather spend 1-2 weeks in Japan for vacation.

Also, does this fare work anywhere else other than SFO/LAX? I'm based in DTW, so I would prefer a more local run (JFK/ATL/MSP/etc...). Also, I was lucky enough to get the double-asia promotion, but the double-mile only apply to the USA-ASIA segment, not total, so the SFO-ATL/JFK doesn't gain me very much...
There have been some fares recently to ANC and also LIM that you might be able to use for MR, as you can see from the posts but if you want to go to Asia and make the stops, use a multi city ticket but the prices aren't as good. It was interesting that yesterday I could get a lower price from LAX to SIN thru JFK than a roundtrip from JFK SIN. Prices very from day to day depending on how many seats have been sold. That is why those prices are only good for a few weeks, haven't bothered with Sun or weekends as they are usually higher and I try to avoid travel during those times. You may need to take a repositioning flight but that will increase your cpm cost.

Am doing a MR tonight SMF ATL CVG LGA ATL LAX SMF for 6300 MQM but have been upgraded for all but final one hr leg from LAX SMF but might even get that at gate as there are two seats left but in that aircraft it doesn't make that much difference for one hour.

Let me know what works out for you and Happy Travels! Cheers
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Prices Aug 28

LAX Departures -Unchanged

for Nov 10-13, 11-14, 25-28, Jan 20-23, 27-30, 2014, higher on other dates.

SFO Departures
$1194.90 ai 25,318 MQM 4.72 cpm SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO

SMF Departures
$1161.70 ai 24,542 MQM 4.73 cpm SMF ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL SMF

for Oct 6-9, 7-10, 21-24, Nov 17-20, 18-21, 24-27, Jan 27-30, 2014. Other dates are higher!

MR completed last night SMF ATL CVG LGA ATL LAX SMF for 6766 MQM in 24 hrs was UG for all 6 segments the last one was at the gate at LAX, was 2nd on list and there were 2 seats left!

Will see if prices go any lower next week, sure hope so!
Keep checking. Cheers!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

LAX Departures - $35.70 higher
$1281,40 ai 25,096 MQM 5.11 cpm LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX

for Nov 10-13, 11-14, 17-20, Jan 20-23, 27-30, 2014, higher on other dates.

SFO Departures - $15.50 higher
$1210.40 ai 25,318 MQM 4.78 cpm SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO

SMF Departures $35.70 higher
$1197.40 ai 24,542 MQM 4.9 cpm SMF ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL SMF

for Oct 6-9, 7-10, 21-24, Nov 17-20, 18-21, 24-27, Jan 27-30, 2014. Other dates are higher!

If you find any better fares let me know, have tried some Sun out and Wed back and found a few dates when the Mon out and Wed back was high; basically when they get a certain number of fares at their price, the fares go up! If you want to stay over sometimes Sun out Thr back may cost $10 more. SIN is a great place to visit.

Will be conducting a NEWSTART Wellness Program there Dec 8-11, if anyone is interested, send me a personal message and information can be forwarded via email. Hope you had a great holiday, I had work, am glad to work as that pays bills and allows me to travel. Next trip to HNL for vacation and then a MR to where else - SIN. If you have FlexPerks points can make your MR to SIN for 70,000 points and end up with 24,000+ MQM at 00 cpm, did one last year and will probably do one more this year.

One other bonus for those with a FlexPerks account, if you make any charitable donations and use your card, you get triple points, a $10,000 donation is worth 30,000 points.

Happy Travels! Cheers
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA G
Nice, this works on AA, too. SFO-ORD-NRT-SIN-NRT-ORD-SFO, $1,201 on AA to NRT and JL to/from SIN.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unavaca
Nice, this works on AA, too. SFO-ORD-NRT-SIN-NRT-ORD-SFO, $1,201 on AA to NRT and JL to/from SIN.
Thanks for the post and information!

Cheers!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Fares on Sep 4

LAX Departures - all fares too high for MR

SFO Departures - same
$1210.40 ai 25,318 MQM 4.78 cpm SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO

for Nov 10-13, 11-14, 17-20, 24-27, 25-28, Jan 20-23, 27-30, 2014, other dates fare higher!

SMF Departures all fares too high for MR
SMF ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL SMF

Only good MR for this routing are from SFO at this time!
Happy Travels, may not last long! Cheers!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Smile Fares on Sep 8, prices going up, DL "sale" for Asia till Sep 16

LAX Departures
$1275.40 ai 25,096 MQM 5.2 cpm LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX

for Nov 10-13, 11-14, 17-20, Jan 20-23, 2014, higher on other dates.

SFO Departures
$1318.40 ai 25,318 MQM 5.2 cpm SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO

for Nov 10-13, 11-14, 17-20, 24-27, Jan 20-23, 2014, other dates fare higher!

SMF Departures
$1287.40 ai 24,542 MQM 5.25 cpm SMF ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL SMF

for Nov 11-14, 18-21, 24-27. Other dates are higher!

Prices have started up. Did get a MR from SMF ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL SMF for 70,000 FlexPerks points for Nov 24-27 which will give 24,542 MQM at 00 cpm. My only cost for that trip will be airport parking and total SM for trip will be 55,219 SM. have a great week. DL is having a "sale" for Asia when you book by Sep 16. Happy travels! Cheers
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Prices on Fr Sep 13

Prices essentially the same, only change is + $.10, there are a few more dates. Have checked basically Sun-Wed, Mon-Thr, out and back runs, don't have time to check everything! These are all x fares, anything higher raise prices and you will get your MQM.

Next year you also have a MQD unless you spend enough on your DL AMX card.

LAX Departures
$1275.50 ai 25,096 MQM 5.08 cpm LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX

for Nov 10-13, 11-14, 17-20, Jan 20-23, 2014, higher on other dates.

SFO Departures
$1318.50 ai 25,318 MQM 5.2 cpm SFO JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK SFO

for Nov 10-13, 11-14, 17-20, 24-27, Jan 20-23, 27-30, 2014, other dates fare higher!

SMF Departures
$1287.50 ai 24,542 MQM 5.25 cpm SMF ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL SMF

for Nov 10-13, 11-14, 17-20, 24-27, Jan 19-22, 2014 Other dates are higher!

Have a great weekend. Hope someone will join me on a MR Nov 11-14 LAX JFK NRT SIN NRT JFK LAX. Will be an awesome run! Happy travels! Cheers!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Prices essentially the same, but if you live in SMF area go to this thread as Coke and Taco posted this thread and it is a great price, go a MR after reading his thread 5958 MQM $191.40 ai 3.21 cpm, got tickets for Oct 6-7 SMF LAX DTW CAK DTW LAX SMF, Great buy!

Thread Posted by Coke and Taco. DL CAK SJC SMF ONT SAN PHX OAK $184 ai

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...ing-184ai.html

Happy Travels! Cheers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.