Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki/How-To/FAQ: Start here if this is your first time visiting this thread
If you have done this trip please help improve the wiki!

Why would a DL SkyPesos member do this now that RDMs are earned on ticket cost?

Either for the MQMs, or to actually visit SIN FWIW there are posts in the thread about similar itineraries on AA.

How do I search for dates/prices?

One way is to use ITA Matrix. Click on "Advanced routing codes" and enter something along the lines of:
  • outbound: dl+ dtw nrt
  • inbound: dl+ nrt dtw

NOTE: Basic Economy (E) fares have been spotted on this route and come with heavy restrictions. If you want to exclude E fares from your search you can add f ~bc=e in the separate "extension codes" box

See post 1329 for some screenshots (which are now out of date, the routing codes and extension code have been split into two separate input boxes)

You may wish to experiment with things like dtw,atl or x or even x+. Read the advanced routing codes help for more ideas. (DL no longer flies JFK-NRT nonstop)

I found an itinerary that works for me, how do I book it?
  • you can try a multi-city booking on Kayak or Google Flights and click through to Delta (you can save some effort by omitting the implicit/forced connection through NRT for example)
  • if you are comfortable installing add-ons etc. you can use the ITA userscript (see the wiki at the top of that thread)
  • for the less technically-inclined there is also the Book with Matrix helper site (and its related FT thread)
  • call in if none of the above methods work or e.g. you want to add a stopover

Do I need a visa?

No visa is needed for transits (or in fact for visiting up to 90 days, subject to qualifications)
You can get your boarding passes for your Delta return flight at Transit Lounge D, which opens 3 hours before departure.

What are the best seats?

Assuming you're stuck in Y (no GUCs etc.)
Picking a seat (Delta One, Boeing 777)
Master A330-300 (A333) Best Seats Thread

Will there be wifi on the international legs?

DL now touts International Wi-Fi is available on 100% of all wide body, long-haul aircraft providing near global coverage. Given "long-haul" this may not apply to NRT-SIN.

777s should all have wifi: thread #1, thread #2; although it is still subject to coverage/availability, seems to drop out in the far northern parts of the route, and coming down the Russian coast it seemed like http was slow but working and anything else like https took forever and/or was blocked

Delta doesn't seem to sell the Gogo global day pass on their web site but you can buy it directly from Gogo. You can use the same pass on both domestic and international flights in any order as long as it is within 24 hours.

FlexPerks VISA single-flight passes can NOT be used on international flights (they do not appear as a redemption choice when you sign in to Gogo in flight)

Other related threads:

Delta 763 International Wifi Installation Progress (especially posts #7 and #9)

Delta to add Gogo WiFi to international fleet

SIN airport facilities

If you are doing a quick turn, you can remain airside the whole time. There are a number of 24-hour food outlets in the transit mall areas (center of each terminal)

Each of the 3 terminals has their Transit Hotel on Level 3. Prices are similar for all:
-Terminal 1 - Plaza Premium Lounge recently opened Aerotel. Book at: Aerotel Terminal 1
-Terminal 2 and 3 - Harilela Hospitality runs an Ambassador Transit Hotel in each Terminal, above the Orchid Garden and Movie Theater, respectively. Book at: Ambassador Transit Hotels

Note that you can actually stay in either of the 3, regardless of which Terminal you arrive in. However, when leaving the airport, you need to exit through the same Terminal as that you arrived in.

FT thread on Singapore Airport Lounges

Airport website links:
NOTE: even though the DNATA Sky View lounge lists "Delta Airlines" on the airport web page and appears on a skyteam.com lounge search, it is considered by Delta to be third-party-operated, thus if you are STE+ in Y you will not have access. People have reported gaining access on an upgrade to J but YMMV.

There is free wifi either by receiving a text message code, or by scanning your passport. Previous posts mention just giving an email address, maybe try at the info desks. There are also free Internet stations.

NOTE for U.S. and other ~110V travelers: Singapore uses 230V/50Hz. There are plenty of USB charging ports in the seating areas, and most wall adapters for electronics these days are dual voltage (look for writing on the plug like "Input: 100V-240V") but if not or if you need to plug something else in, bring plug and voltage adapters to be safe.

Things to do in SIN

In descriptions of things to see/do airside, when you see "garden" read "smoking area" especially if you won't be there during daylight, the only other main reason people go there is to smoke.

SkyTrain between terminals runs from 5am-2:30am but you can always walk between any of the terminals as well.

Little More than 24 Hours in Singapore especially post #5 in that thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25605453-post1047.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24452870-post836.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24064053-post794.html
Best practices for ~5 hour turnaround at SIN
3 perfect days in Singapore
Singapore's MRT (Mass Rapid Transit)
Destinations > Asia > Singapore FT forum
cheap transportation to Marina Bay Sands (or any hotel) for S$9

Things to do on a long connection through NRT:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24426838-post835.html

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

There is free wifi in NRT.

Returning to the US

Even if you don't have Global Entry, CBP has a Mobile Passport Control app -- see program info and app website for d/l and list of participating airports which includes ATL (but not DTW)

You will have to pick up checked bags if any, and then everyone has to go through TSA security. International connections usually have their own checkpoint but it may not have PreCheck or CLEAR. If you want to take advantage of either of these, see airport-specific info below.

Through Delta's partnership CLEAR is free for DM, $79 for other Medallions, and $99 for General Members. Click here for more info on the partnership or to sign up.

Relevant FT threads:
Returning via ATL:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

CLEAR is now open in ATL but only at the domestic end.

For PreCheck, if you arrive in F, when you exit the hallway from customs there is a ticket desk in front of you. Normally the belt for re-checking bags on the left, and TSA screening beyond that. For PreCheck turn instead to the right (away from the drop-off luggage belt) and exit into the arrivals area, go up the escalators, and then you use the regular F terminal security checkpoint.

(It seems like NRT-ATL usually lands in E though... anyone have info to share?)

Returning via DTW:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

When you exit customs normally you are directed to the right for rescreening. For PreCheck or CLEAR exit to the left as if you are an local Detroit arriving passenger and you will see some escalators in front of you. Go up 3 sets of escalators (there is a security checkpoint after the 2nd set but it does not have PreCheck). There is also an elevator.

The configuration as of Jan 2017 was, CLEAR without PreCheck was near the top of the escalators. If you have both CLEAR and PreCheck, there is a separate CLEAR lane on the right.

Duty Free Liquids

This post from 2014 says liquor etc must be checked as they cannot pass through screening in NRT/TSA. However this may have changed since then, and duty-free purchases in a Sealed Tamper-Evident Bag (STEB) might be permitted:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/secu...ection_ss.html

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

FT: Bringing Duty-Free Liquids into USA with a Connecting Flight

If you have any experience with this, please share!

IRROPS handling:

Good at least for one DM: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21923836-post7.html

Trip Reports/Tips:

2016: Dec, Nov, Oct #1, Oct #2, Oct #3, Sep, Apr, Feb

2015: Nov #1, Nov #2, Oct, Sep

2014: Dec, Nov #1, Nov #2, Nov #3, Nov #4, Nov #5, Oct, Sep #1, Sep #2

2013: Oct
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2.6 MM
Thanks for your info on purchasing

If you want to cancel an award flight be sure to do it more than 72 hrs before the scheduled flight and you get your miles back along with your $5.60 for OW or $11.20 for RT award tickets. Am able to do SMF LAX for 11,000 SM for RT or 5,500 OW if you book flights a month in advance. 12,500 ATL LAX OW is a very good fare. I often use SM for trips in US and with $ saved do MR to get MQM. Mike, thanks for sharing! Enjoy your MR! Blessings!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Csfing1
If you want to cancel an award flight be sure to do it more than 72 hrs before the scheduled flight and you get your miles back along with your $5.60 for OW or $11.20 for RT award tickets. Am able to do SMF LAX for 11,000 SM for RT or 5,500 OW if you book flights a month in advance. 12,500 ATL LAX OW is a very good fare. I often use SM for trips in US and with $ saved do MR to get MQM. Mike, thanks for sharing! Enjoy your MR! Blessings!
One thing we've been doing more lately as an alternative to award tickets for positioning flights is PWM. For example, the predominant rt DL fare for SMF-LAX right now is $151-$161. The cost is a little higher - 15K miles vs. 11K, but you earn 1000 MQMs for the positioning flights.

ATL-LAX is running about $257 rt, so 25K miles + $7.00 - the same cost in miles, cheaper cash component and you will earn ~3900 MQMs vs. zero for an award ticket.

Anyway, food for thought .
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions

Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
One thing we've been doing more lately as an alternative to award tickets for positioning flights is PWM. For example, the predominant rt DL fare for SMF-LAX right now is $151-$161. The cost is a little higher - 15K miles vs. 11K, but you earn 1000 MQMs for the positioning flights.

ATL-LAX is running about $257 rt, so 25K miles + $7.00 - the same cost in miles, cheaper cash component and you will earn ~3900 MQMs vs. zero for an award ticket.

Anyway, food for thought .
Great suggestion, I have found the SM very useful on 4-$500 fares when I can get same for 25,000 SM and the other advantage for some people who keep changing their mind is they can be cancelled up to 72 hrs before dep but will have to give serious thought to PWM 15,000 + $7 and a 1000 MQM some serious consideration. At present I still like a 72 hr MR for 24-25,000 MQM at <3 cpm for ~$700 if you can do it when those fares are available as the are sometimes in Sep and Oct. Keep the comments coming that's how we learn.
Happy Travels! Blessings!

Last edited by Csfing1; Aug 25, 2016 at 7:02 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
This is my situation exactly.... my company could very well dispatch me to LA.. so i'm there the day of my flight already.. the award ticket gives me the option to cancel the "There" ticket and redeposit.. 6 days before as soon as i am dispatched.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Great suggestion, I have found the SM very useful on 4-$500 fares when I can get same for 25,000 SM and the other advantage for some people who keep changing their mind is they can be cancelled up to 72 hrs before dep but will have to give serious thought to PWM 15,000 + $7 and a 1000 MQM some serious consideration. At present I still like a 72 hr MR for 24-25,000 MQM at <3 cpm for ~$700 if you can do it when those fares are available as the are sometimes in Sep and Oct. Keep the comments coming that's how we learn.
Definitely agree that the flexibility of an award ticket has a lot of advantages. And when fares are running well above 1cent per comparable award ticket mile, it is often the better economic decision. Even then, though, I will grab an award ticket and convert to a PWM ticket later if prices come down.

I don't have the luxury of someone else paying for my travel, much less paying for me to go to the exact positioning city I need. That's wonderful if you can get it, and another good reason for award tickets as mlavelle3 points out.

My point in this thread is that, in 100% of the cases where we book some variant of this mileage run, it is a non-refundable ticket. When I book the MR, I am committed and flexibility isn't relevant anymore.

So an award ticket for the positioning flights is only valuable (for me) when the cost in miles for a PWM ticket - after taking into consideration the value of the MQMs earned - is noticeably higher than a comparable award ticket. Otherwise, I have the opportunity to turn a 25K MR into 30-32K MQMs by earning on the commute - and without spending any more cash to do it.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:42 pm

.... Is anyone going to join us going out Sep 19 LAX ATL DTW NRT SIN or coming back Sep 28 SIN NRT JFK LAX, if so please let us know and if anyone will be in SIN Sep 22-27 let us know we would like to meet you. [/B]
been away from this thread for a bit, but looks like I will just miss ya both ways Csfing. Leaving in a couple weeks (17-18-19 Sep SFO ATL DTW NRT SIN, 21 Sep SIN NRT DTW ATL SFO) Have scored UD via GUC on the return leg, but looks not looking good at all for the outbound on Sunday, 18 Sep. :~( Wishin' now I was a day or so later. As of this evening only 10 seats available upfront, 4 weeks ago there was something like 38 or 40 available. Seems like every day Delta sells another seat on this Sunday departure out of DTW. Looking at other weeks, they all have more availability. Well, just have to wait and see and go with the flow. At least I will be on the upper deck on way back. good luck all on your MR trips.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Smile Choosing your seats

Originally Posted by kxc262
I'll PM more details about my seats when the dates get closer. Hoping for a C+ upgrade . Will only be in SIN for 6 hours overnight. I might do another one in October to really visit SIN.
Another suggestion, as it gets close to the date of your flight see how many rows are empty especially a few hours before, if you can get an aisle seat as in C and A and B are empty it may be easier to sleep or you can try the other side of the plane or take the middle seat in the center section and put things in the aisle seats. It often works but not always and there are many variables and things that can happen but the most important factor is how many empty seats on that flight. I wish you success if you try to implement these suggestions as we have used them with varying degrees of success. Anyway we will look for you Sep 28 SIN NRT JFK LAX.

Happy Travels to all! Please post comments, suggestions and lower prices, if anyone else is traveling these days Sep 19 LAX ATL DTW NRT SIN and Sep 28 SIN NRT JFK LAX let us know and we will try to get together. Blessings and Safe Travels!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Fares Aug 29, 2016 - 2 Great fares Thanksgiving week LAX and SFO Dep

SFO Dep SFO ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL SFO 24,634 MQM
$685 ai 2.78 cpm Nov 21-24 Thanksgiving week - best fare, only a few seats left
LAX ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL LAX 24,248 MQM
$680 ai 2.80 cpm Nov 21-24 Thanksgiving week, only a few seats left great price if you need MQM
$713 ai 2.94 cpm Oct 3-6
$722 ai 2.98 cpm Sep 19-22, 26-29, Oct 3-6, 10-13, 17-20
$740 ai 3.05 cpm Oct 31-Nov 3, 14-17
$750 ai 3.09 cpm Nov 7-10
$757 ai 3.12 cpm Oct 24-27

Dates not given higher fares, fares from Kayak.com. The low fares only have a few seats left so get them while they are still available!

Happy Travels! Please post comments and lower fares. Have a super week. As soon as these flights get more passengers the prices go up, get your flights now, don't wait! ^ Blessings to all!

Last edited by Csfing1; Sep 6, 2016 at 7:37 am Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Has anyone been able to find a sub-1K fares for a Fri-Sun run? Unfortunately I am not able to get a midweek trip
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:28 am

Yes, they are around. I have found some Thursday - Sunday trips in the past. Currently November 17 - 20, LAX-ATL-SIN-DTW-LAX is available.

Originally Posted by bretthexum
Has anyone been able to find a sub-1K fares for a Fri-Sun run? Unfortunately I am not able to get a midweek trip

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Sep 1, 2016 at 5:57 pm
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bretthexum
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Weekend trips Sep and Oct

Fri to Mon LAX ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL LAX 24,248 MQM for ~$760 ai 3.13 cpm more or less mult weekends Sep 16-19, Oct 7-10, 14-17, 21-24 $743 ai 3.06 cpm Nov 11-14 Best Price on Kayak.com. Try it and put in your dates. You can also try Thr-Sun and see what you get, prices much higher ~ $950 and up

Last edited by Csfing1; Sep 6, 2016 at 7:56 am Reason: Add dates and prices
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Many thanks Csfing1!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Fare Pricing

Sometimes after pricing thru to DL.com after you have put in all your info and credit card info and you have touched the purchase it will say the price is no longer available and gone up and you can continue at higher price or stop. What you do is up to you, if you can live with the price you can buy if not stop. Cookies may be related to the price increase but prices can vary some for same itinerary. Pricing for Dec trip on Kayak was $688 for LAX ATL NRT SIN NRT ATL LAX but when it came to purchasing the price increased $300-$500. Probably if I got the tickets 3-4 weeks ago when I should have I could have gotten them for $688 as I got my Sep 19-28 ticket for $654 for LAX ATL DTW NRT SIN NRT ATL LAX without any trouble other than having to buy my ticket separately from my wife's as price at that time was higher if purchased together. Usually do buying with iPhone, my old iPad is too slow and seldom use a computer. Sometimes call the DM desk and give them the flights and they can get the low price but more often they cannot and DL multi-city doesn't work any more, it used to in the distant past but not now. Final price for Dec trip is still less than leaving from SMF but with positioning flights SMF LAX for 11,000 SM and $11.20/person it is still better than leaving from SMF and I will get about 6000 more MQM for more or less the same fare as our routing gives us about 24,600 MQM vs 17,500 MQM. Those are my comments for today. Am blessed sufficient SM for positioning flights and show the benefits of saving them when in 2014 and earlier a 25,000 MQM trip would give me 56,000 SM. All comments welcomed and any experiences pricing your trips, please share and always post any lower fares. Happy Travels! Make your MR now before the end of the year! Blessings!
Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Equipment change: the twice-weekly 332 in January has, at least for the moment, gone back to being a 744 daily from DTW-NRT/NRT-DTW. I'd already switched my outbound a day earlier just to hedge my bets, but this means my return flights now include a 744 also, yay unless they change it again between now and January, which who knows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.