Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 13, 13, 9:49 am   #1

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Aa/ba: Sea-doh ~$800

Seeing some dates in Feb on AA/BA Example Feb 12-17th. routing is
SEA-DFW-LHR-BAH-DOH same way back approx 4.1CPM. Easily bookable on AA.com
aaron1262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 13, 11:32 am   #2

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond
Good fare. Some have same day turns but I believe there is another thread that makes this seem a difficult task.
tkelvin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 13, 11:45 am   #3

Programs: AA EXP 1MM Marriott Plat SPG Gold Chase Private Client
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
Good fare. Some have same day turns but I believe there is another thread that makes this seem a difficult task.
I think the price jumps up a bit if you try and book on BA.com but it may make sense if someone has the Chase BA card? 10% off. http://www.britishairways.com/travel...0/public/en_us
jaytmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 13, 10:07 pm   #4

Location: SEA/NYC. DL DM charter member, UA 1K, NW Plat ('03-'09), Marriott Plat. Always somewhere, never anywhere...
I'm not sure what the transit rules are in DOH but if you are "entering" the country and going through immigration you will have to pay for the visa. It was $30 or $35 the last time I was there.

Come to think of it I didn't see any "Transfers/Connecting Flights" signs after I got off the QR flight from LHR. We were bussed to the terminal.

-RM
Old Jan 13, 13, 11:58 pm   #5

Programs: KL G, QR G, MSL S
Visas on arrival cost Qatari Riyals $100, which is about $28. The exchange rate is fixed to USD. You can only pay by credit card - no cash. The arrivals terminal is a completely separate building from transfers and departures. Buses meeting QR flights stop at both arrivals and the departures terminals due to the heavy connecting travel, but terminating flights (ie. BA) only stop at the arrivals terminal. To get from one building to the other, disembark your original bus at arrivals, wait outside the arrivals terminal for a QR flight bus to pull up, and get on and go to the transfers terminal. Should only be a matter of minutes
Marslandflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 13, 10:32 am   #6

Programs: AA EXP
Nice find, OP! Not too much ex-SEA usually.
aerodark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 13, 8:25 pm   #7

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, CX GLD, AMEX PLT, Hyatt PLT, Hilton GLD, Hertz GLD, SPG GLD
Anyone see any flights from SEA on AA Metal exclusively?
MBJ Mon' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 13, 8:32 pm   #8

Programs: AA EXP 1.75MM, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJ Mon' View Post
Anyone see any flights from SEA on AA Metal exclusively?
AA doesn't fly past LHR. So no AA metal LHR-BAH-DOH
mikelat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 13, 8:39 pm   #9

Nice fare!!
hw807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 13, 10:19 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marslandflyer View Post
Visas on arrival cost Qatari Riyals $100, which is about $28. The exchange rate is fixed to USD. You can only pay by credit card - no cash. The arrivals terminal is a completely separate building from transfers and departures. Buses meeting QR flights stop at both arrivals and the departures terminals due to the heavy connecting travel, but terminating flights (ie. BA) only stop at the arrivals terminal. To get from one building to the other, disembark your original bus at arrivals, wait outside the arrivals terminal for a QR flight bus to pull up, and get on and go to the transfers terminal. Should only be a matter of minutes
Interesting. A couple questions:

1. Can you make the same day turn? Arrives 9:50pm and departs 11:45pm.

2. Do they check everyone for a visa or credit card before boarding? Never heard of credit card only.
Old Jan 14, 13, 11:11 pm   #11

Programs: KL G, QR G, MSL S
Same day turns are possible - and can be done without visa, just go direct to the transfers terminal as described above - but it would help to have the return DOH-LHR BP in hand on arrival in DOH. You will need to do the bus rigmarole and hope ground handling isn't too slow. There wouldn't be enough time to clear immigration and check-in again.

They generally don't check for visas for visa on arrival nationalities - 33 countries including the US, Canada and usual European suspects. They don't check for credit cards but it is basically the only way to pay for a visa (visa, mastercard, no amex). There is a locally issued e-payment card but unless you are planning several trips it's not worth getting one. Doha immigration don't want to handle cash. If you do arrive with only cash you'll need to find another passenger willing to help. Last resort is that you are referred to the bank counter where they'll try and convert your cash, but that's likely to be time consuming and a bit of a hassle.
Marslandflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 13, 11:30 pm   #12

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AA, HYATT DIA, HH SLV, SPG
Nice to see BA+AA beating EK price wise

Last edited by NA-Flyer; Jan 15, 13 at 8:22 am.
NA-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 13, 2:37 am   #13

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Siver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG PLT,Marriott Silver,EP Subscriber
If travelling before 28 Feb there are likely to be some attractive E-VIPs/SWUG on Coupon Connection for the AA sectors.
Old Jan 15, 13, 2:17 pm   #14

Programs: AA EXP 1.75MM, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
If travelling before 28 Feb there are likely to be some attractive E-VIPs/SWUG on Coupon Connection for the AA sectors.
true, but only useful if you can find upgrade space on the flights. This close, there may already be a big upgrade request backlog for AA flights in to LHR. I'm sure I'll be wrong on some days, but in general I hope I'm mostly accurate.
mikelat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 13, 3:28 pm   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelat View Post
true, but only useful if you can find upgrade space on the flights. This close, there may already be a big upgrade request backlog for AA flights in to LHR. I'm sure I'll be wrong on some days, but in general I hope I'm mostly accurate.
I think the day of week and routing via JFK might help. I booked a trip (SEA-PRG) via JFK 10 days ago and my SWU just cleared for next week.

Also to consider will be if you are connecting and time of check-in if the upgrade goes to airport control.