Wiki Posts
Search

TK IAD-IST $399 ai, 10450 miles or 3.8 CPM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jbsay
Warning: watch out for UA 4129 (DCA-EWR) as part of this MR.

I foolishly booked this segment without checking its on-time percentage. Turns out it's a lousy 36%, with an average delay of 50m (STDEV=52m) per EF/FlightStats. My second segment, UA 904 (EWR-IST) departs a "mere" 90m after UA 4129 arrives; therefore, I'm worried about missing the long-haul segment and being rerouted - and, worse, ending up in a E- middle seat for 10hrs.

Naturally, I plan to arrive at DCA long before UA 4129 departs in hopes of scoring a SDC on an earlier flight - however, given that I'm on a K fare, I suspect standby will be my only option.

Any chance UA would be willing to waive the change fee in advance (i.e., now) to put me on an earlier DCA-EWR flight? Doing so would substantially reduce the sizable odds of UA having to reroute me and/or put me up in a hotel.
I saw that "tight" connection with this chronically delayed flight and snagged the last 2 K fare seats for my wife and I on the earlier (11amish) flight (*whew*). FYI, for those looking to do this from the west coast (as I was), you can return to another US city without increasing the fare that much so you only need to burn 12.5K to get to DC and then book the return. I booked DCA-IST-PDX and it worked out fine although the return had to be booked back to IAD instead of via EWR since the PDX connection sometimes leaves too early out of EWR.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Anyone know if this is still available? looking for a weekend MR to re-qualify for TK Elite.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, and all the rest
Since I am AK...I looked at DL and saw it for $440 for feb9-12th from IAD (and I can get to IAD for under $290). But the flights are actually on KLM and the flight numbers dont match up for me to earn miles for AK? If I try to book directly through KLM for same flights the flight numbers are correct and eligble, but price goes up to over $600. Am I missing something
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Blootch
Anyone know if this is still available? looking for a weekend MR to re-qualify for TK Elite.
matrix.itasoftware.com is your friend.

$493 IAD-IST-ARN return feb 15. 13230 miles in turkish G
$399 iad-ist return 10482 miles in turkish G
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:28 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Premier Plat
Originally Posted by rbphilip
matrix.itasoftware.com is your friend.

$493 IAD-IST-ARN return feb 15. 13230 miles in turkish G
$399 iad-ist return 10482 miles in turkish G
I was finally going to pull the trigger on this this morning....but alas, I think it is gone. I can't find IAD-ARN for under $750. Can anyone else still find this fare?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by wxlvr
I was finally going to pull the trigger on this this morning....but alas, I think it is gone. I can't find IAD-ARN for under $750. Can anyone else still find this fare?
Gone now. One does need to be "ready" for opportunities like this. I'd have been all over it and stayed a couple of nights in Stockholm visiting friends had I not already been inundated with travel between Jan 15 and March 31.

Something like it will happen again.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Yeah I procrastinated and didn't pull the trigger. I think the timing threw it for me...would like to visit when it isn't so cold over there but can't be picky with these deals. Oh well...something else will surface.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Premier Plat
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Yeah I procrastinated and didn't pull the trigger. I think the timing threw it for me...would like to visit when it isn't so cold over there but can't be picky with these deals. Oh well...something else will surface.
I like cold and snow...I can't believe that I didn't. The main reason I didn't is that I had just bought a MR to HKG for the first week of March. The wifey doesn't really understand my obsession....but I think two international MR's in two weeks would be the nail in that coffin
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Still available through United and Delta, just not TK.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
IAD-IST. It's still there on TK if you can afford a 4 day stay for Valentine's: out 2/13 in 2/18 at $399. An overnight turnaround will cost you another $65.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:21 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
In for one via UA! Can't wait to experience the fine culture in Istanbul (and the TK lounge that I've read so much about )
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jbsay
Warning: watch out for UA 4129 (DCA-EWR) as part of this MR.

I foolishly booked this segment without checking its on-time percentage. Turns out it's a lousy 36%, with an average delay of 50m (STDEV=52m) per EF/FlightStats. My second segment, UA 904 (EWR-IST) departs a "mere" 90m after UA 4129 arrives; therefore, I'm worried about missing the long-haul segment and being rerouted - and, worse, ending up in a E- middle seat for 10hrs.

Naturally, I plan to arrive at DCA long before UA 4129 departs in hopes of scoring a SDC on an earlier flight - however, given that I'm on a K fare, I suspect standby will be my only option.

Any chance UA would be willing to waive the change fee in advance (i.e., now) to put me on an earlier DCA-EWR flight? Doing so would substantially reduce the sizable odds of UA having to reroute me and/or put me up in a hotel.
I just booked this flight deliberately. If I miss the EWR connection then I would probably get rebooked in full Y on the direct flight the next day, meaning an upgrade. I think it is worth the risk.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I just booked this flight deliberately. If I miss the EWR connection then I would probably get rebooked in full Y on the direct flight the next day, meaning an upgrade. I think it is worth the risk.
That's the kind of approach I use when booking award tickets: hope for a misconnect that enables making my mileage tickets into mileage-earning tickets.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
What airline offers Y-ups on int'l segments? UA doesn't, IIRC
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
You can't upgrade a K fare with a GPU. A Full Y fare, however...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.