Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/DL: PHX-HNL $298 ai RT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
No problem glad I was able to share, and yes 9300 x 4 + bouns... I hope I can find more great deal on AA, would like to make EXP on AA.
37,000 EQM for $1200 is a pretty solid start! Are you sure you don't want to do another 8 turns?

I found the difference between EXP and PLT on AA to be greater than the difference between PLT and no status. Hanging around on a beach on the (relative) cheap is a pretty good way to get to that level ^
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aerodark
37,000 EQM for $1200 is a pretty solid start! Are you sure you don't want to do another 8 turns?

I found the difference between EXP and PLT on AA to be greater than the difference between PLT and no status. Hanging around on a beach on the (relative) cheap is a pretty good way to get to that level ^
I wish I could do more between work and school I don't have the time for it... But after April (I'll be done my Masters) and I find or see more cheap flights I'll do more...

The same cane be said about being Premier Platinum, there is a big jump from Premier Gold..
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I wish I could do more between work and school I don't have the time for it...
Congrats on your impending graduation! I think there are a number of us shoestring-budget students on here. I do my academic work on the plane -- the wide tray tables in J&F are great for a stack of papers & a laptop / pad of paper. Best part is I don't even have to stand up to get coffee

(The worst part, of course, is having to drink airplane coffee)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aerodark
Congrats on your impending graduation! I think there are a number of us shoestring-budget students on here. I do my academic work on the plane -- the wide tray tables in J&F are great for a stack of papers & a laptop / pad of paper. Best part is I don't even have to stand up to get coffee

(The worst part, of course, is having to drink airplane coffee)
Besides this, I travel for work, so I'm pretty good about getting the school work done on the plane, ever since getting my iPad school work has gotten easier, I'm on the last part of my Masters so I'm reading lots of research papers, the ipad allows me to highlight what I like in paper, without the bulk of a laptop.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
you two are better than me... wrapped up graduate school last spring. I brought books to read, couldn't write papers on the plane (too many distractions). The only thing I could do with a computer on the plane was work on quant models for various assignments. I'd wait for the hotel desk before I worked on papers. Modeling and the endless reading was all I could knock out on planes...

ps congrats on your impending graduation. You will be amazed how much time you have once you're done (I worked full time and pursued a masters at the same time... Outside of one night a week that I set aside for my wife, I literally didn't see her for a little under three straight years... let the jokes begin, I know, I know, that sounds like heaven, etc.).
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:53 am

cant seem to find on AA, but see a lot of them for 310 on delta.com
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by onefasteuro
cant seem to find on AA, but see a lot of them for 310 on delta.com
I hope this helps...

http://www.fly.com/FlyWidgets/LowFar...mt=298&cur=USD
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
MR Question

I'm based in DFW.

Would it be possible to book a PHX-DFW-HNL-DFW-PHX and skip the PHX porition of the trip, leaving directly from DFW and returning to DFW?

When I look on ITA Software, DFW-HNL-DFW is $610, where as PHX-DFW-HNL-DFW-PHX is $298 on the same day. I'm new to mileage running. Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by AAggie
I'm based in DFW.

Would it be possible to book a PHX-DFW-HNL-DFW-PHX and skip the PHX porition of the trip, leaving directly from DFW and returning to DFW?

When I look on ITA Software, DFW-HNL-DFW is $610, where as PHX-DFW-HNL-DFW-PHX is $298 on the same day. I'm new to mileage running. Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
From what I understand, skipping the last segment would be possible, as long as you don't do it a whole lot (still could get in trouble). I don't think you are going to be able to miss the first PHX-DFW and continue on with the trip without a lot of hassle. I'm in DFW as well and would love to jump on this for a mileage run, but getting to and from PHX in March is a pain on saver miles and tickets are otherwise pretty expensive, so makes it not worthwhile.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:50 pm

The rules say that if you book PHX-DFW-HNL-DFW-PHX and fail to board the PHX-DFW leg, the itinerary will (automatically?) be canceled and you may not board DFW-HNL. You'll probably be able to apply the cost of the ticket towards another itinerary, but that defeats the purpose of the MR.

If you start the same itinerary in PHX, you can just fail to get on the last DFW-PHX flight and drive home as long as you haven't checked luggage. It kinda goes against the airline's CoC (hidden city ticketing), and you can find many stories on FT of people getting called out on it by the airline, but it will likely work.

BTW there's good midweek availability for 12.5k award flights DFW-PHX in March, as well as the first weekend of the month.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by AAggie
I'm based in DFW.

The other issue is that "missing" the DFW-PHX will increase your cpm for that trip, as of course you won't get mileage credit for a flight you didn't fly. In this case, it bumps it from about 3.2 cpm to about 3.5 cpm. Not a huge difference but worth noting. You'll also have to add the costs (whether with miles or cash) of getting to PHX to start. As noted, you will not be able to miss the starting PHX-DFW without losing the remainder of the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.