FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/)
-   -   WN offers 40% off code; look for matches (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/1395687-wn-offers-40-off-code-look-matches.html)

iahphx Oct 9, 2012 7:21 am

WN offers 40% off code; look for matches

Through Thursday, Southwest has a discount code that gives 40% off its cheapest fares for a couple of off-peak weeks this fall and winter. In the past, the other airlines have matched this type of sale without needing a code. Please post any matches here. There could be some very good bargains.

http://www.southwest.com/

Exiled in Express Oct 9, 2012 7:50 am

While it is early in the sale, what I am seeing is the legacies matching the Southwest price without the coupon but also without the roundtrip requirement. Previous Southwest semiannual sales did not have either of those hoops.

From MSP, DL and AA are matching short legs where they offer nonstops and UA is matching with ORD connections and ~$7 in extra segment taxes.

jeelele Oct 9, 2012 8:00 am

Cheapest fare?

Interesting. What is the cheapest flight and route using this sale? I found $56 as the lowest fare between MSP and Chicago.

garygleck Oct 9, 2012 8:29 am

$42 between SAN-LAS OW

Don't know if anyone matched.

TravelByPoints Oct 9, 2012 8:43 am

UA seems to have matched the WN sale dates. Cross-country fares from/to LAS are around $150 all in.

mudd_stuffin Oct 9, 2012 8:49 am

Originally Posted by TravelByPoints (Post 19464003)
UA seems to have matched the WN sale dates. Cross-country fares from/to LAS are around $150 all in.

I don't see the $150 from all the cities... at least not from DTW or BUF.

TravelByPoints Oct 9, 2012 8:59 am

Originally Posted by mudd_stuffin (Post 19464046)
I don't see the $150 from all the cities... at least not from DTW or BUF.

Fares might be higher from BUF. Use Farecompare Map for a quick view and then ITA Matrix to search.

mudd_stuffin Oct 9, 2012 9:06 am

Originally Posted by TravelByPoints (Post 19464095)
Fares might be higher from BUF. Use Farecompare Map for a quick view and then ITA Matrix to search.

Fares are indeed higher from many other cities other than BUF. It is more accurate to say that some cross-country fares from/to LAS are $150 all-in.

iahphx Oct 9, 2012 9:23 am

It's worth watching EWR-SFO because Airfarewatchdog says WN's all-in 40% off fare is only $164 roundtrip. So far, on ita, I don't see a match, but folks seem to be indicating that UA is starting to match.

trh2h Oct 9, 2012 9:43 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 19464247)
It's worth watching EWR-SFO because Airfarewatchdog says WN's all-in 40% off fare is only $164 roundtrip. So far, on ita, I don't see a match, but folks seem to be indicating that UA is starting to match.

AFWD is showing this WN fare from IAD as well

veezer Oct 9, 2012 9:56 am

Can confirm UA matched this on BWI-SFO 12/3-12/6. Was seeing >$400 this morning on united and kayak, but just booked for ~$280 a/i on united.com (still a little cheaper on SW at $260)

Firewind Oct 9, 2012 10:43 am

I won't fly WN because of their program, but was going to OP this for the good of the order, and as an experiment to see if it fit the mods' criteria. Good it's sticking. One for the competition to hit...

BOS-SFO RT as low as $178 ai. (And no outlying airports necessary!) ^

This is usually the year-end nadir fare in the lean years. Glad to see it's returned this year.

groobie Oct 9, 2012 10:44 am

SAN-BOS on UA for about $200, first week of December, 1 night or same day turns possible, 4 cpm or less, depending on routing

SkinsFan0521 Oct 9, 2012 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 19464679)
I won't fly WN because of their program, but was going to OP this for the good of the order, and as an experiment to see if it fit the mods' criteria. Good it's sticking. One for the competition to hit...

BOS-SFO RT as low as $178 ai. (And no outlying airports necessary!) ^

This is usually the year-end nadir fare in the lean years. Glad to see it's returned this year.

Do you have sample dates for this? I'm not seeing this in Dec or Jan

antonius66 Oct 9, 2012 11:13 am

Sale states from 11/28 through 12/12 and 01/07-02/14.

LAS-MDW for $126. Seen a few UA matches now on a few routes.