Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

UA SEA-MNL $730's AI - +Island Hopper return..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA SEA-MNL $730's AI - +Island Hopper return..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
thanks for the info-are the islands only good for diving or is it worth visiting with kids to go to beaches there?
There are nice beaches in Palau and Majuro. The beaches in the Truk Lagoon are OK and you can hire a ponga to show you all of the islands in the lagoon and/or head to the ocean beaches, or go fishing. I enjoyed Pohnpei because you could snorkle or dive with the mantas, hike around Sokehs rock and head out to waterfalls and Nan Madol ruins.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Nah

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
Interesting. I've always thought about crossing the international date line to skip out on most of my birthday and remain young.
Far better what I did once - my CO flight SYD-HNL got cancelled so I got AA (AA metal) after some delay. Having had my birthday in SYD it was a very strange feeling for the sun to come up and have my birthday all over again in HNL. No one around to give me double presents though.........
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I've flown on the island-hopper a number of times. The first was as an alternate to HNL-GUM (as I had an overnight in GUM either way), and that inspired later visits to MAJ (twice), Pohnpei and Kosrae. The way to do it was to book a 25K award out of MNL with stopover and see 2 spots (and Palau and Yap also were eligible). This being pre-merger.

Before 9/11 you could get out and walk around at the airports, but afterward as a thru passenger they herded you into holding pens like so much cattle.

Also, they can only wait out bad weather for so long before skipping an island. KSA passengers had to be offloaded in PNI on one flight I took and sent back on the next one eastbound.

Pohnpei's a beautiful island that'd get lots of tourists if it had a beach (other than offshore). The real hibiscus and waterfall thing, + Nan Madol. KSA is even slower-paced. MAJ itself is NOT really a tropical paradise (though there are nice sections of the island, like Laura), but it's culturally fascinating and very threatened by rising sea levels.

All places are also especially great if you like eating tuna.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chasbondy
As a diver with a WWII interest, the Island Hopper is amazing. You can go to Palau (Pelilieu) to dive and visit the sites of the vicious battles there, and then make a stopover on the way back at Truk and dive the Japanese wrecks, or explore Pohnpei or Majuro. Some have even made the stopover at Yap and taken the missionary plane over to Ulithi. There are hundreds of different combinations. I have been lucky on Island Hopper trips. All have been partly cloudy so you can see a thousand different atolls below with various shades of blue and purple. It is so worth the inconvenience to take it, as opposed to the non-stop to Guam. It seems UA has removed Cairns from that itinerary. Pre-merger, I was able to book a reward from Honolulu to dive the Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea and do stopover at Truk on the way back for 40,000 miles. The same is true of Nadi, where you could fly on the return to Honolulu NAN-GUM and choose your stopover on the Island Hopper. As I see it, for just a few less hours of sleep, one could take the 6am to Guam via the Island Hopper and and have some fun, or take the afternoon non stop to Guam and read a boring book. Both flights arrive in Guam at about the same time.
How do you book these stopovers? I'm a diver and would enjoy some dive stopes along the way. I'd love to book a stop in Palau for 2 days, Truk for 2+ days, and then Yap for 2 days. Too bad Cairns isn't an options as I'd love to do a week live-aboard with Mike Ball out of Cairns.

Any recommendations? Sounds like great diving oppportunities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.