Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

DL: BDL-ATL-SFO-JFK RT $505 ai, 4.62cpeqm

Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
DL: BDL-ATL-SFO-JFK-SFO-ATL-BDL $505 ai, 4.62cpeqm

Hi all,

This is my first post. I have quite a few stories to share about TSA vs. my NEXUS ID (which I will post in the appropriate forum). Be on the lookout for them.

Just to give you some background Hartford (BDL) is a Cat 2, smaller airport. Getting anywhere near a 3.5CPEQM is difficult. 4.5CPEQM is the best I am typically able to do, especially since I can only fly on the weekends.

Booking:
Booked: BDL->SFO (X: ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP)
Booked: SFO->JFK (NS)
Booked: JFK->SFO (NS)
Booked: SFO->BDL (X: ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP)

No overnight stay needed, although you will have a 6 hour layover in SFO. Perhaps a nap. Otherwise pretty much constant flying. Decent chance of Medallion Upgrade due to weekend/odd time travel, not many business travelers are out flying on a Saturday.

For maximum miles you *must* book through ATL. This adds another 300-400miles per a segment going through ATL rather than DTW, MSP, or CVG.

Flight Information:
Flight # Class Date From/To Fare Basis Coupon Status
DL1724 U 02MAR12 BDL-ATL UR07A0WP OPEN
DL1649 U 02MAR12 ATL-SFO UR07A0WP OPEN
DL1210 T 03MAR12 SFO-JFK TA14A0SP OPEN
DL1565 T 03MAR12 JFK-SFO TA14A0SP OPEN
DL1880 U 03MAR12 SFO-ATL UR07A0WP OPEN
DL4872 U 04MAR12 ATL-BDL UR07A0WP OPEN

Cost:
Without the rebate affiliated w/ Discover & Orbitz the booking costs of $505 USD net about a 4.4 cents per an EQM.

Miles:
Total elite qualifying miles for the trip is ~ 11200. (Assuming ATL connection)

Booked via Orbitz. If you use ShopDiscover (through discovers site) and your DiscoverCard you will get 5% back from Orbitz.

Last edited by mbwmbw; Feb 15, 2012 at 12:42 pm
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG

Nice first post and welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Hi all,

This is my first post. I have quite a few stories to share about TSA vs. my NEXUS ID (which I will post in the appropriate forum). Be on the lookout for them.

Just to give you some background Hartford (BDL) is a Cat 2, smaller airport. Getting anywhere near a 3.5CPEQM is difficult. 4.5CPEQM is the best I am typically able to do, especially since I can only fly on the weekends.

Booking:
Booked: BDL->SFO (X: ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP)
Booked: SFO->JFK (NS)
Booked: JFK->SFO (NS)
Booked: SFO->BDL (X: ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP)

No overnight stay needed, although you will have a 6 hour layover in SFO. Perhaps a nap. Otherwise pretty much constant flying. Decent chance of Medallion Upgrade due to weekend/odd time travel, not many business travelers are out flying on a Saturday.

For maximum miles you *must* book through ATL. This adds another 300-400miles per a segment going through ATL rather than DTW, MSP, or CVG.

Flight Information:
Flight # Class Date From/To Fare Basis Coupon Status
DL1724 U 02MAR12 BDL-ATL UR07A0WP OPEN
DL1649 U 02MAR12 ATL-SFO UR07A0WP OPEN
DL1210 T 03MAR12 SFO-JFK TA14A0SP OPEN
DL1565 T 03MAR12 JFK-SFO TA14A0SP OPEN
DL1880 U 03MAR12 SFO-ATL UR07A0WP OPEN
DL4872 U 04MAR12 ATL-BDL UR07A0WP OPEN

Cost:
Without the rebate affiliated w/ Discover & Orbitz the booking costs of $505 USD net about a 4.4 cents per an EQM.

Miles:
Total elite qualifying miles for the trip is ~ 11200. (Assuming ATL connection)

Booked via Orbitz. If you use ShopDiscover (through discovers site) and your DiscoverCard you will get 5% back from Orbitz.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
What happened to my post? Are we not permitted to include pictures in it?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Redacted
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Ah, okay. I just put a screenshot of the route so that people could check some of the timings. Thank you.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL GM
Thats not a bad one! Id be going with you but ill be just back form a MR to SFO the day before! Is it bookable other weekends?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Agree that BDL is often a viable alternative mid-sized departure point, and a decent alternative to BOS, especially for AAdvantage flyers -- BDL may show similar or even cheaper fares to some AA BOS destinations.

Parking is cheaper and less of a hassle at BDL than at BOS, and flight availability sometimes better. Routing may sometimes require an RJ to ORD for long-haul itineraries.

Biggest problem for me is limited public transportation access, though better to southern CT than to Mass. west or east. This limits OJ opportunities with BOS.... too bad.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hilton
What happened to my post? Are we not permitted to include pictures in it?
WOW! Great find. BDL based here and been trying to book the $239 RT BDL-SFO on DL for mileage run. But the dates are mid-week Tues-Wed and I can really use the miles to keep my DL Gold status this year.

I was only considering those flights out to SFO afternoon/evening and return on the overnight so I can minimize time off from work. Trying to avoid red-eye and then rolling into work.

Did you book that MR for that weekend? I know that ATL is best mileage for the SFO run on DL. If I could swing that MR might be worth it? BDL is not MR friendly...

Was this only via Orbitz or did you try DL.com?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: Skyteam
I had to look at the routing again to see that it's not a single roundtrip. Good one.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by skchin
I had to look at the routing again to see that it's not a single roundtrip. Good one.
Pricing at 491.80 on DL.com. Seriously thinking of booking!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

jeromyers, if you do let me know we'll meet up see if we can't pull some seats together on the flight.

Should be a trip.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sectflyer
Thats not a bad one! Id be going with you but ill be just back form a MR to SFO the day before! Is it bookable other weekends?
It's hard to find that exact routing but it is bookable on other weekends. The ATL route is the hardest to line up. I'll be running that route again in April and May.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:45 pm

jeromyers, if you do let me know we'll meet up see if we can't pull some seats together on the flight.

Should be a trip.
Booked! Price has gone down on DL.com. PRICE REDUCED! Was $494 ai last night when I checked and just got it for $446 ai brings it down just under 4.0cpm.

Last chance at that fare would be tonight- JFK/SFO legs are 14 day advance.

Definitely should be a trip- not sure about the 6 hour overnight nap at SFO
Old Feb 18, 2012, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jeromyers
Booked! Price has gone down on DL.com. PRICE REDUCED! Was $494 ai last night when I checked and just got it for $446 ai brings it down just under 4.0cpm.

Last chance at that fare would be tonight- JFK/SFO legs are 14 day advance.

Definitely should be a trip- not sure about the 6 hour overnight nap at SFO
I've slept in SFO's parking lot before.
You should be OK.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by skchin
Heh, ditto.

Agreed that BDL is not the best starting point. The alternative for me is a 2 hour train ride to NYC. Potato/potatoh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.