Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

"Good Deals" in Economy Class - Excellent Fares between certain city pairs - 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Good Deals" in Economy Class - Excellent Fares between certain city pairs - 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
The beauty of this is that it's Egencia offering it. It's rare that business travelers get to do MRs on company dime and time. But when the company requires the traveler to use Egencia, and to use the lowest fare that Egencia offers, and Egencia offers IAD-SFO-BOS, the traveler can take that trip on company dime and most importantly on company time. Then, if the manager brings up the full day of lost work, the traveler can commiserate and complain about the absurdity of the travel policy.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I've never done this, but I believe that it was reported a while ago that one CR-1 (or otherwise) upgrade will cover the whole thing (provided that there is availability, which is not a reasonable expectation on this "route", of course).
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
i'm assuming it was discovered by Egencia cuz of the unusually low fare. but it was a true one way connection, since when i tried to do multicity for the routing, it was much higher.

also surprising is that both flights IAD-SFO and SFO-BOS are both really fun that evening. i couldnt get anything except middle seats! yet why was it so low priced at just 145 all-in for IAD-SFO... weird.

hoping for maybe a VDB bump.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
The beauty of this is that it's Egencia offering it. It's rare that business travelers get to do MRs on company dime and time. But when the company requires the traveler to use Egencia, and to use the lowest fare that Egencia offers, and Egencia offers IAD-SFO-BOS, the traveler can take that trip on company dime and most importantly on company time. Then, if the manager brings up the full day of lost work, the traveler can commiserate and complain about the absurdity of the travel policy.
well it was the cheapest per se, lots of cheap jetblue, airtran, and US Airways flights for around 60-70. so the 'Egencia offered it' prob wont fly if audited.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I've booked YVR-NRT-ORD before and when I talked to my expense department to approve, they allowed it. I was surprised actually, but so far nothing has been said. Its been 2 years since I did that.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by epiding
well it was the cheapest per se, lots of cheap jetblue, airtran, and US Airways flights for around 60-70. so the 'Egencia offered it' prob wont fly if audited.
What if the traveler wanted to fly UA though?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Firewind
I've never done this, but I believe that it was reported a while ago that one CR-1 (or otherwise) upgrade will cover the whole thing (provided that there is availability, which is not a reasonable expectation on this "route", of course).
This is true, in fact in teh good old days of e-500's if both segments cleared prior to departure it would only be one .

I had done many SFO-IAD/NYC/ORD back to west coast and would only get charged the one e500. Good times.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Could it just be a one-way IAD-SFO added onto a one-way SFO-BOS fare? Did you look at the fare-basis code to see if it's one single fare or two separate ones?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Could it just be a one-way IAD-SFO added onto a one-way SFO-BOS fare?
That is exactly what it is, as alluded to by CDKing above.

IAD-SFO is $129+, SFO-BOS is $120+

The IAD-SFO has some fairly strict times attached!

FROM SFO -
PERMITTED 600AM TO 1100AM TUE/WED/SAT OR 900PM TO 1159PM
TUE/WED/SAT.
TO SFO -
PERMITTED 600AM TO 800AM TUE/WED/SAT OR 300PM TO 730PM
TUE/WED/SAT.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Firewind
Once upon a time, a single e-500 would havce covered this as well!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by epiding
I use Egencia (Expedia Corporate) and i typed in a simple one way WAS-BOS on Jan 14th... and it spit out automatically an unusual IAD-SFO-BOS routing (it was a one way search, not multicity).... for only $289 total!

now i know 289 isnt the best deal in the universe, but pretty good considering the far flung connection from IAD-BOS via SFO.

hot damn, never seen Expedia's engine spit that out before! I'm doing it!
Originally Posted by CDKing
its 5.8 CPM. Nowhere close to a MR. More a Good deals fare. Its a open jaw trip. Although the $120++ each way BOS-SFO is not too bad at 5.2
I've moved this thread to "Good Deals" in Economy...City Pairs 2012 thread since it's interesting but quite high cost compared to a true MR fare.

I've left a 10hr link in MR Deals; please note this move from MR Deals to the Good Deals in Economy sub-thread. Thanks to everyone who has replied with additional info here. ^

BiziBB, Moderator Mileage Run
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Newbie, DL,AA,VS,UA,VX,WN,CO (in a pinch)
AA: MIA - LIM $370 ai

Expedia 4/12 - 4/19. I'm not up on all the jargon used for airfares, but thought I'd post this one.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
JFK/WAS-CPT/JNB KLM Y $773ai RT

I think this has been mentioned before but as of this morning it's still alive. I'm flying :
10MAR IAD-AMS-CPT
18MAR CPT-JNB-AMS-IAD
19300 DL MQMs, double that (since I'm Gold Elite) for RDMs.
It's R Class on KLM, which accrues 100% on DL (though only 25% on KLM's own program).
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: all, none, somewhere in between
Aeroflot JFK-SVO $500

Ex. dates:

1/30-2/20. Don't forget about the visa cost.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jmj8778
Ex. dates:

1/30-2/20. Don't forget about the visa cost.
Nice find. I'm also seeing it on DL for $572 ~ 6cpm for many dates in Feb at a minimum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.