Reload this Page >

Good Deal Premium Fares 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Deal Premium Fares 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:00 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by time2go1st
Right; CO today showing $3181 ai for J LAX-LHR 8/29-return 9/7, that would have to be considered very good I think. Presumably matched on other Star sites. Question is, based on historical patterns -- obviously nobody has a foolproof crystal ball -- how likely is this to be at least matched, if not bettered, in the 9-10/2012 travel window...
This is the UA-Star Alliance Summer fare sale to Europe which seems now to be systemwide. The last day for departure is September 3, 2012, and there is an APEX of 60 days and a maximum stay of 90 days.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
[QUOTE=SFflyer123;17907202]That's a good find. It's also the same price from SFO to LHR. Unfortunately, it doesn't go to the rest of Europe with that price.

Just for fun plugged in my same dates for CDG instead of LHR and came up with $3306 ai; but on UA metal thru ORD; so around the same, not sure when these deals were loaded in but surely available from SFO too, and pretty good.

My quandary is whether to pull the trigger right now with this, knowing my dates may need to change closer in but not knowing if a similar deal will show up for slightly later fall travel...
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by time2go1st
Right; CO today showing $3181 ai for J LAX-LHR 8/29-return 9/7, that would have to be considered very good I think. Presumably matched on other Star sites. Question is, based on historical patterns -- obviously nobody has a foolproof crystal ball -- how likely is this to be at least matched, if not bettered, in the 9-10/2012 travel window...
BOS-LHR is at $2687 ai on AC via YYZ. Not bad, but I suggest waiting to see if fares drop a bit more. Nonstop is at $2872 on OW. DL wants a ridiculous $3890 ai.
Dates are 6/30 - 7/7.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
BOS-LHR is at $2687 ai on AC via YYZ. Not bad, but I suggest waiting to see if fares drop a bit more. Nonstop is at $2872 on OW. DL wants a ridiculous $3890 ai.
Dates are 6/30 - 7/7.
You are probably right to wait a bit. Interesting to see how some carriers match competitively while others hang back; for LAX-LHR, VS now matches CO yet BA does not -- wants over $5k, crazy.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:09 am

Good Deal?

SFO - BUD RT, MALEV on AA metal via JFK. Business Class $2701 ai

Dates for me 8/29 - 9/9. Every other airline starts around $3500 and goes up from there.

Only available on Orbitz, can't reproduce this on Malev or AA
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Dates are 6/30 - 7/7.
CO is always worth paying a bit more to Avoid AC.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Germany - HNL, ~€2,300 all in

Available on AF/KL/DL and also on AA/BA.

Books into Z (AF) and tickets must be issued by Feb 7. Travel dates from now up until June. No change/cancel possible.

e.g. dep 1 June return 15 June

AA: DUS-(BA)-LHR-LAX-HNL , same on return - €2,268

AF: DUS-CDG-LAX-(DL/HA)-HNL, same on return - €2,297
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:51 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by goteed1
SFO - BUD RT, MALEV on AA metal via JFK. Business Class $2701 ai
Sounds like a good deal to me. Are you able to book it?

EmailKid
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by why fly
CO is always worth paying a bit more to Avoid AC.
Why should one avoid AC? I've only flown them in business class (or whatever they call it there) once, and found it to be quite nice - lie-flat seats, good food, etc. The only off note was the mandatory advertisements before any of the movies on the AVOD.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mechteach
Why should one avoid AC? I've only flown them in business class (or whatever they call it there) once, and found it to be quite nice - lie-flat seats, good food, etc. The only off note was the mandatory advertisements before any of the movies on the AVOD.
+1 I enjoyed AC's product as well
The biggest reason to avoid AC (IMHO) is so you don't have to go through the PITA canadian customs people!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:53 pm

I had a crappy experience on AC. Granted only one round trip in business but lets see on my YYZ-FRA flight a) headphones that were provided didn't work b) head phone jack which I used my headphones with was hissing non stop c) the tv screen which swivels open at a 90 degree angle wouldn't stay open as the hinge it was on was broken so I had to stick some cardboard in there to prop the screen d) purser, while pouring champagne for another passenger next to a cart that was right next to my seat dropped the glass shattering it with glass flying all over my floor space (I had my shoes off) and in the same motion he instinctively attempted to catch the falling glass jerking his hand that was holding the champagne bottle in turn spraying me with champagne.

My return flight CPH-YYZ wasn't so bad and though not ACs fault I did initially get denied access to skip the line after using Global Entry machine with the guy saying he doesn't care and to get in line. A US border patrol person had him let me skip the line couple of minutes later after realizing what happened.

I'd still fly AC as it was still way better than UA C (old seats) but I would pay more for CO over AC.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
I would choose AC over CO anytime.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by heramato
I would choose AC over CO anytime.
+1
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:11 pm

Sounds like a good deal to me. Are you able to book it?

EmailKid
Yea, I took it all the way to the last page with all my credit card info and nothing changed. I'm on the fence about splurging for this. Economy is $1200 and I thought that was too much $$ so now all of a sudden I'm considering paying $2700 for premium seating because it's a deal.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by goteed1
Economy is $1200 and I thought that was too much $$ so now all of a sudden I'm considering paying $2700 for premium seating because it's a deal.
Are you chasing EQMs ? If so, Biz would give you an extra 50%.

When AA started BUD service last year UA matched, and with a 20% off coupon I went for it - still about twice what coach cost, but hey ...

Also, how many trips do you take? If only a few it may be a nice splurge. My new approach is to fly coach and save the money for upgrade not taken (UACO has miles + ca$h u/g to Biz) to next flight.

EmailKid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.