Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals
Reload this Page >

Systemwide WN, FL sale: matches identified (DL systemwide; some US, UA/CO, AA, VX,AS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Systemwide WN, FL sale: matches identified (DL systemwide; some US, UA/CO, AA, VX,AS)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Southwest and its Airtran subsidiary have launched a very good 3-day sale for travel beginning Nov. 30 through Dec. 14, 2011 and Jan. 4 through Feb. 15, 2012. It's distanced based, with fares starting at $35.

There should be plenty of matching fares and, given recent fare levels, this will likely be an exceptional time to buy airline tickets for that travel period.

http://www.southwest.com/html/promot...all-popup.html

http://www.airtran.com/sale/

Last edited by iahphx; Oct 18, 2011 at 5:53 am Reason: links
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Southwest and its Airtran subsidiary have launched a very good 3-day sale for travel beginning Nov. 30 through Dec. 14, 2011 and Jan. 4 through Feb. 15, 2012. It's distanced based, with fares starting at $35.

There should be plenty of matching fares and, given recent fare levels, this will likely be an exceptional time to buy airline tickets for that travel period.

http://www.southwest.com/html/promot...all-popup.html

http://www.airtran.com/sale/
I can't find anything for $35 from ATL
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eloraculo
Well, FL has the fares loaded. If you're talking about competitors, you're going to have to wait a few hours. This afternoon and evening will be more productive.

What I want to see is if anyone balks at matching. Like US has been lethally effective at driving WN from most of its short haul PHL routes. Will it bother to match these mid and long haul fares -- like $65 nonstop tickets to Florida? We'll see.

I do think DL will match in ATL, but only time will tell.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:39 am

What airline are you trying to fly? AirTran has lots of Nov 30 availability ATL to MCO, could even do 2 same day turns at $35 each way. We'll have to see what the "majors" do....
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Looking forward to this for the 2012 segment potential on price matches. So far the thrid party sites (Kayak et al) have nto even picked up Airtran's filings. Going to be a busy evening.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: nada
Also note typical WN fare sale rules: no Sunday travel.
FL does not seem to have this rule....I would expect carries to either match this lesser restriction or match carrier for carrier--ie, non FL destinations will be restricted to WN fare rules but FL destinations will be more lax.

Lastly--from Houston, I'm seeing some FL fares through June 1...not sure if they're just spectacular attacks or whatnot...the fares don't quite match the sale amount, but BUF, ROC, and WAS are standouts here, with a successful pricing of a WAS ticket at 199ai a few minutes ago.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:23 am
Suspended

Agreed. I run an ITA two month long one-way search FL+ ATL to CLT, CMH, DAY, IND, JAC, MEM, MSY, MCO, RDU, TPA. There were no $35 fares yet.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Oct 18, 2011 at 9:14 am
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
west coast to san juan, puerto rico would be outstanding at the 125 each way if they would get matched.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:02 am

Okay now I can see the fares on ITA it just took a while. Delta doesn't match so low but the prices will be $10 more than FL for the short hops
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:11 am
Suspended

Okay now I can see the fares on ITA it just took a while. Delta doesn't match so low but the prices will be $10 more than FL for the short hops
Yup. 12/3 ATL to MEM, RDU, TPA, DAY, IND, CMH, CLT, etc. for $45 ai.
DL matched all markets.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Now seeing a DL match on MSP-CHI T/W/Sat, I beleive that is more than Delta did for last year's sale.

edit: DL is now matching all days except Sunday. Also seems to be matching the longer distances as a sting of $35 segments (MSP-STL-DTW-PHL $129)

Last edited by Exiled in Express; Oct 18, 2011 at 9:35 am Reason: more dates
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Virgin is also having a sale, and while their prices are a little bit higher for west coast hops, those seem to be getting matched whereas I'm not seeing all of the WN ones matched yet (e.g. SFO-LAS is at the VX price on UA/CO, not at the lower WN price).

http://virginamerica.com/vx/booking/exit-happier
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Now seeing a DL match on MSP-CHI T/W/Sat, I beleive that is more than Delta did for last year's sale.

edit: DL is now matching all days except Sunday. Also seems to be matching the longer distances as a sting of $35 segments (MSP-STL-DTW-PHL $129)
Yeah, nationwide, DL is definitely doing SOMETHING in response to this fare sale (nobody else, except maybe Frontier, seems to have moved). If I take a competing nonstop market, like BWI-DTW, they seem to have the same fare as WN/FL. But they don't seem to have the same fare on connecting flights -- DL's fares work out to be higher.

I'm going to wait several more hours for the dust to settle before trying to make any purchases. We might not even have clarity until tomorrow, as the competition is likely reluctant to "give away" their inventory when they don't have to.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: AA ExecP
See many DL matches out of BOS (i.e., TPA). $226 ai.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you for this, iahphx. Southwest comes up with similar low fares frequently. For a little of your magic, how did you spot the gravitas in this one to anticipate a fare war? Anyway, bravo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.