Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(APRIL FOOLS) Air New Zealand Fare Glitch Discovery

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive

As airlines are tired of dealing with weight balance issues on planes, Air New Zealand launched new promo where one pays what they weigh. However, the system is not yet fully capable of recognizing correct body weight.

http://promos.airnz.co.nz/payweigh/

I put my friend's dog on top of my scanner and was told my LHR-LAX J fare would be 12/kg x 6 = 72 GBP plus 1002 GBP YQ. And as with all fare glitches, don't call the airline!

Among the very restricted terms and conditions, this is only valid in the United States and all introductory fare promotions must be ticketed by 11:59pm, April 1, 2011.

Prank Air is codeshared with Air New Zealand but does not operate as, simply for own liability's sake. Prank Air is however a division of Gullible Travels
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:24 am

Programs: *G, UA Plat, Hertz Pres
I have a feeling these threads are going to get very old very fast.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
thanks. bought 5 tickets for my pets and their extended family members
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I hate April 1 on FT, particularly the MR Deals forum.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
+1
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought millions of tickets for all my friendly bacteria. It only cost pennies in fare, but the YQ put a big dent in my savings. You always want to keep your gut bugs happy, though.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Why do people think this is funny? The same jokes every year. I don't even find the schadenfreude part of it amusing. It's just boring and I spent most of the day avoiding the internet. That in itself I suppose is a positive thing to do at least monthly if not even more often though. Especially for IT people.

April Fool's Day in the internet age is a waste of time, it hasn't been funny in a decade.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Why do people think this is funny? The same jokes every year. I don't even find the schadenfreude part of it amusing. It's just boring and I spent most of the day avoiding the internet. That in itself I suppose is a positive thing to do at least monthly if not even more often though. Especially for IT people.

April Fool's Day in the internet age is a waste of time, it hasn't been funny in a decade.
I don't know that it's a waste, but it certainly gets harder and harder to come up with something fresh and new. It's also seems to be getting more difficult to come up with an April Fools joke that is more fun than irritating.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by chollie
I don't know that it's a waste, but it certainly gets harder and harder to come up with something fresh and new. It's also seems to be getting more difficult to come up with an April Fools joke that is more fun than irritating.
Exactly. I have a sense of humor, I enjoy a good prank. But posting bogus fare sales or mile promos just isn't amusing and certainly not creative.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
It was more amusing when the Air New Zealand page actually worked and had a sliding scale for weight and other interactive features.
A sample of how the website looked is here -
http://kenfreer.wordpress.com/2011/0...ools-campaign/

There is however another website up with similar approach, which is probably where Air NZ got their idea. Glad to see foreign carriers have a sense of humor.
http://flyderrie-air.com
Old Apr 1, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: HH Silver
+2
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:01 am

Surprised that the updated MR forum shows up exactly at 5 p.m. Japan time, normally it's two hours later. Must be because of April fools? Don't miss a minute. right?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Stupid post

as stated above

no longer even brings a smirk
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:30 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
+1 ^
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Its just a trick to hide the Real MR deal thats coming

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.