FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest-455/)
-   -   Is there a "Scalpers Area" at Busch Stadiun in STL? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/midwest/812044-there-scalpers-area-busch-stadiun-stl.html)

Non-NonRev Apr 12, 2008 6:46 am

Is there a "Scalpers Area" at Busch Stadiun in STL?

I'm going to be in STL soon and would like to attend a game in the new stadium (I went to a few games at the old Busch in the late '80s). Pickings for my date on the StubHub-affiliated season ticket reselling board are rather slim (not too many people selling just one).

In the past I've had good luck buying a single in a good seating location outside of various ballparks - is there a specific area outside of Busch Stadium where sellers congregate? Thanks for any help or advice.

DavidDTW Apr 12, 2008 9:14 am

You might also look at Craigslist. I see lots of Tiger tickets offered on there, so would assume the same for St Louis.

bkramt1 Apr 13, 2008 4:18 pm

You will see scalpers on the street over from the hotel areas (I think this is Clark Street). I found the prices to be higher than planned, but the Cubbies were in town when I went. You might also try Ebay; I've had great luck with tickets there.

BobH Apr 16, 2008 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev (Post 9560196)
I'm going to be in STL soon and would like to attend a game in the new stadium (I went to a few games at the old Busch in the late '80s). Pickings for my date on the StubHub-affiliated season ticket reselling board are rather slim (not too many people selling just one).

In the past I've had good luck buying a single in a good seating location outside of various ballparks - is there a specific area outside of Busch Stadium where sellers congregate? Thanks for any help or advice.

I've been able to get good tickets at several stadiums on the day of the game by stopping by the ticket office the morning of a game and seeing if they've had anything turned in.

Bob H

tfjim Apr 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Providing it's not the Cubs in town you will have no problem securing a ticket out on the street from both professional ticket sellers and just regular folks with an extra ticket. This is especially true if you are just seeking one ticket. It is not legal in Missouri for anyone to sell a ticket up to the face value. But in my experience you should get a ticket for $5 and no more than $10.

Best corners are 8th and Spruce just across from the 3rd base side gates and then also 7th and Cerre just by Paddy O's. But in reality there are people everywhere with tickets.

If it's for a weeknight game, especially non-rival, non-division I would certainly pay no more than $5 for ANY ticket. It won't matter you can sit practically anywhere you please. If they ask for more just walk on. If it's a weekend, division rival than maybe $10 at most.

Don't bother with Craigslist, Stubhub, etc...

Though keep in mind there are some Stubhub coupons out there that may allow you to get tickets relatively priced.

GregL Apr 16, 2008 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by tfjim (Post 9584170)
It is not legal in Missouri for anyone to sell a ticket up to the face value.

First of all, I think you meant to say that it's not legal to sell a ticket OVER face value. However, that's changed -- it's now legal to scalp sporting event tickets in Missouri.

The law was changed after the scandal following the 2006 World Series where STL police officers "confiscated" tickets being sold by scalpers and then gave them to their friends.

Greg

tfjim Apr 17, 2008 11:43 am

Originally Posted by GregL (Post 9586829)
First of all, I think you meant to say that it's not legal to sell a ticket OVER face value. However, that's changed -- it's now legal to scalp sporting event tickets in Missouri.

The law was changed after the scandal following the 2006 World Series where STL police officers "confiscated" tickets being sold by scalpers and then gave them to their friends.

Greg

LOL, Greg, good catch. What I meant to type was; "it's NOW legal for anyone to sell tickets". But you are right to correct me, thanks. BTW, where are the "second of all"'s???? :p

So that I don't seem to just be an opinion and nothing else, last night my brother, a friend and I went down to Busch Stadium to see the Brewers - Cardinals game. We had two tickets already and just need to buy a single to get in. Around 7:05pm, 10 minutes before first pitch, we were walking up past the Stadium West lot there were quite a few people selling tickets around, nobody seemed exactly willing to deal. If you tell them you're just looking for a "cheap single, doesn't matter where", the ticket sellers will yell to their buddies across the street. Most were looking for $15 but even though the Brewers are a division rival that is way too much. We just kept walking on. My brother and buddy decided to go stand in line at the ticket counter on the 3rd base side. I went to the 8th & Spruce corner on the bridge over the Metrolink station there were at least 5-8 guys selling tickets. I found one guy willing to go for $10 when someone else walked up who had extras ($50 field box tickets). Seeing the competition I offered up $6 for the ticket which the first guy promptly took.

Often, you will find people who are going into the game who have extra tickets to sell. They are good to try to find closer to the stadium. Also, the closer to first pitch the more sellers are willing to deal (obviously). If you can wait till 5-10 minutes after first pitch you can get anything for $5, $10 at worst.

Outside the stadium it looked like the crowd was substantial, but, in fact, the stadium wasn't even close to crowded.

sonora Apr 17, 2008 11:55 am

Tfjim, nice to see you posting!

OP, if you let us know when you'll be around, we can try to set up a dinner or happy hour or something.

And, from the spoiled member of the STL FT group, I can tell you that the doorman at the Westin by the ball park is an excellent source for tix for sold out games, playoffs, etc. That's a pricey option though.

But I think tfjim is right, it's pretty easy to pick up tix right by the stadium now, at el cheapo prices. Do I regret my $$$$ for my season tickets? Ask me in three months.

tfjim Apr 18, 2008 7:50 am

Happy to post when I can!

I don't think you'll regret the season tickets. At least so far they seem to be doing well.

There is a third option for going to the games cheaply. Don't buy a ticket. The gates open up around the 7th inning. You can go hang out at a bar close to the stadium, watch it on TV and drink cheaper beer and then, if the game is enticing, stroll in at the 7th inning.