Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Rockford airport officials say they're sitting on 'gold mine'

Rockford airport officials say they're sitting on 'gold mine'

Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
It won't work.

I lived in Rockford for about 5 years in the 90s and now live about halfway between ORD and RFD. It is a post-industrial crater of a town. And I say that with affection.

IF major airlines flew out of RFD, I'd still pick ORD as my starting point. It would mean one fewer connection every time. I don't care that parking is free. My opinion would change if flights went from RFD to STL, DEN and IAD for connections, but they won't. TPA (rather than PIE) is competitive from ORD. As is BWI--better to go to DCA anyway if you're going to DC. I don't have any opinion about EWR. I'll bet that none of those flights connect.

And RFD to BWI? Seriously? Why not ORD to DCA? That is so much easier, even if you have to drive from RFD to ORD.

My advice to them would be to stick to cargo. Or find a way to make the day trip concept they ran a few years ago work better.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by milepig
Anybody want to start a pool about when their "death date" will be?
Not a death, as such...but the service already appears to be in trouble:

http://www.businessrockford.com/home...-delays-launch

That said, hopefully they'll come up with a much better name than "Air Azul".
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sipes23

IF major airlines flew out of RFD, I'd still pick ORD as my starting point. It would mean one fewer connection every time. I don't care that parking is free. My opinion would change if flights went from RFD to STL, DEN and IAD for connections, but they won't. TPA (rather than PIE) is competitive from ORD. As is BWI--better to go to DCA anyway if you're going to DC. I don't have any opinion about EWR. I'll bet that none of those flights connect.

And RFD to BWI? Seriously? Why not ORD to DCA? That is so much easier, even if you have to drive from RFD to ORD.

My advice to them would be to stick to cargo. Or find a way to make the day trip concept they ran a few years ago work better.
RFD did have flights to DEN for connections, but not enough people used the service. Same was true for connecting flights to DTW.

On the other hand, RFD has had considerable success with its non-connecting service to leisure destinations. I don't think anyone there imagines RFD will become an ORD-clone. Like Allegiant Air (one of the major players in RFD), RFD has carved out a niche. Not everything that works at ORD will work in RFD.

You're right, the flights to BWI and EWR seem to have limited potential (see my previous post, for instance). But to say "stick to cargo" doesn't really reflect the major successes they've had there in recent years.

Last edited by fairviewroad; Apr 27, 2009 at 12:02 pm
Old Apr 27, 2009, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
On the other hand, RFD has had considerable success with its non-connecting service to leisure destinations. I don't think anyone there imagines RFD will become an ORD-clone. Like Allegiant Air (one of the major players in RFD), RFD has carved out a niche. Not everything that works at ORD will work in RFD.
My quick check shows:

Direct Air 2 flights per week to Myrtle Beach and then on to Ft. Meyers
Allegiant 2 per week to Vegas
Allegiant 2 per week to Phoenix
Allegiant 3 per week to Orlando
Allegiant 2 per week to St. Pete
And it looks like Apple runs charters from time to time.

That's a grand total of 11 flights per WEEK. Not what I'd call "considerable success"!
Old Apr 27, 2009, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

That's a grand total of 11 flights per WEEK. Not what I'd call "considerable success"!
I'll grant you that "success" is a subjective term. But consider that as recently as 2002, RFD had no scheduled passenger service whatsoever.

In 2007, the most recent year for which FAA statistics are available, more than 110,000 people boarded flights at RFD. In that same year, RFD was the 215th busiest commercial airport in the U-S, out of a total of 575 airports with commercial service. RFD has risen in the rankings every year since it regained passenger service.

So yes, they have just 11 flights per week (all on mainline aircraft, I might add). But clearly they are doing something right. From ZERO passengers to 110,000 in 5 years. I'm guessing a lot of airport managers would love to experience that kind of growth. (Keeping in mind that RFD is also in the TOP 20 for cargo airports in the U-S)
Old Apr 27, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
My quick check shows:

Direct Air 2 flights per week to Myrtle Beach and then on to Ft. Meyers
Allegiant 2 per week to Vegas
Allegiant 2 per week to Phoenix
Allegiant 3 per week to Orlando
Allegiant 2 per week to St. Pete
And it looks like Apple runs charters from time to time.

And they really don't fly to Orlando. They fly to Sanford, which is another 30-40 minutes further from the tourist area than MCO. On the plus side, Sanford does offer free parking.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
RFD did have flights to DEN for connections, but not enough people used the service. Same was true for connecting flights to DTW.
Like I said, one fewer connection. Hypothetically, let's say we want to go to Los Angeles. Through RFD with service to DEN, the trip is RFD > DEN > LAX. From ORD, it's ORD > LAX. (Ok, so for those of us accumulating segments that's no good.) Admittedly, the RFD>DEN flight doesn't seem as ridiculous as the RFD>ORD, and I'd probably jump airports due to where I live.

No, it will never be an ORD, but it won't be the third passenger airport that RFD's boosters want either. I don't think the demographic in and around Rockford works in favor of that.

For another poster, Allegiant (if memory serves) flies to Mesa (AZA?), which isn't PHX, though that might not be a bad swap.
Old May 6, 2009, 3:14 pm

Not a death, as such...but the service already appears to be in trouble:

http://www.businessrockford.com/home...-delays-launch

That said, hopefully they'll come up with a much better name than "Air Azul".
When this was first announced, I speculated that their URL (flythenewblue.com) was an attempt to confuse people into thinking that they were somehow related to Jetblue, a speculation that is somewhat bolstered by this article announcing Air Azul's name to JetAmerica.

Keep in mind that NW shot themselves in the foot on those DTW flights by pricing them so high. Although with the GM plant in Janesville being shut down and the spectacular implosion of Chrysler, I don't know how long those flights would have lasted even if NW had priced them more reasonably than the ~$750rt that they quoted me once.

Last edited by joer; May 6, 2009 at 3:18 pm Reason: The call was coming from INSIDE MY HOUSE!!!1!!1ONE!
Old May 27, 2009, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by milepig, in reference to Air Azul, which has become Jet America
Anybody want to start a pool about when their "death date" will be?
Well, if you selected May 27, Come on down and claim your prize!

You can learn more from the Cranky Flier here.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Who uses RFD?

Oprah! Or her employees, at least.

Oprah Winfrey is flying 1,500 of her employees and their families from Chicago Rockford International Airport to Spain on Saturday, according to sources familiar with the arrangements.
http://www.businessrockford.com/bizn...ckford-airport

UPDATE: So Oprah herself did not fly out of RFD. The article says five flights departed to Barcelona on Saturday but I only see 3 listed on Flightaware. Two were DC-10's and one was an MD-11. Must have been an impressive sight for RFD.

http://www.rrstar.com/communities/x9...out-their-boss

Last edited by fairviewroad; Jun 22, 2009 at 10:58 am Reason: add new article link
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:48 pm

The latest vein in the gold/silver/bronze mine that is the Greater Rockford Airport leads to Branson, MO!

For those that find that article to be tl;dr, I'll summarize: The Greater Rockford Airport is protecting ExpressJet from losses to the amount of $30,000 so that ExpressJet can operate 50 seat RJ's between RFD and Branson 3 times a week for 5 weeks.

The big selling point for the new Branson airport is that it's 45-minutes closer to Branson than the current Springfield, MO airport is. So, to get to Branson from Chicago by air, you either have to drive for 45 minutes from Springfield, MO to Branson after your flight, Or drive 45 Minutes to Rockford before your flight.

Am I the only one who thinks that they didn't really think this one through?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joer
The big selling point for the new Branson airport is that it's 45-minutes closer to Branson than the current Springfield, MO airport is. So, to get to Branson from Chicago by air, you either have to drive for 45 minutes from Springfield, MO to Branson after your flight, Or drive 45 Minutes to Rockford before your flight.

Am I the only one who thinks that they didn't really think this one through?
That's assuming everyone who flies to Branson from RFD is starting in Chicago. With Allegiant, RFD needs people from Chicagoland to fill the planes. But with just 3 RJ's per week to Branson, you don't need to draw as many people from outside the area. And with RFD you still get free parking so even driving up from the 'burbs may still pencil out. However, I'd imagine that a city the size of Rockford can fill 150 seats a week to Branson during the Christmas season without needing too many people to come up the tollway from Chicago.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:55 am
Original Poster

The latest RFD possibility: RFD-MCI.

http://gazettextra.com/news/2009/nov...ts-gm-workers/
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:02 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Rockford rebates are back again, this time to Cancun (CUN): http://www.flyrfd.com/WQ4CUN2.ASP
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:03 am
Original Poster

The latest destination from Rockford is .....

Belgrade!

Ryan International Airlines will commence summer charters from Chicago Rockford International Airport and Toronto’s Pearson Airport to Belgrade. Each service will operate once per week with a Boeing B767-300, Serbian media report.
However, aside from this article I can't find any confirmation of this. It should be noted that Ryan International Airlines is different than the much maligned Ryanair of Europe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.