Wiki Posts
Search

Michigan: Best Eats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2008, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
I went to Ajishin last week and it was... amazing.

In fact, I may just go there right now!
I wish for the same. Their lunch special is especially good.

For Mexican: Tios Mexican Restaurant in Ann Arbor. It's inexpensive and the best Mexican food I've had so far.

For Korean: Hana Restaurant in Ypsilanti, off of Michigan Ave. The couple who runs this place has been there for about 20 years.

For Seafood: Real Seafood in Ann Arbor. On your birthday, your food is half off with 2 people dining in.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Polish

Stumbled across this gem yesterday.

Sabina's Restaurant
3840 Oakwood Blvd in Melvindale, MI, just south of Dearborn. Less than 1 mile from freeway.

Packed restaurant, due to their authentic food and great prices.

Not to be missed. Felt like I was in Poland. I had the crepes with cheese and pickle soup. My buddy had an open faced ham and cheese sandwich. Had all the Polish staples, perogies, kielbasa and others I'm forgetting.

Both of us commented that we'll go out of our way to eat here again.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:32 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Went to Buddy's the other night, it is Sicilian style pizza (very light airy 1.5" crust with light cheese and a great sauce). I really enjoyed it.
Tried Shields pizza yesterday ( http://www.shieldspizza.com/ ) which was a poor imitation of Buddy's. I would not recommend Shields.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:26 am

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
A modest, yet outstanding deli that that doesn't get the attention of its Southfield/Bloomfield Hills competitors is Noah's, on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn. Wonderful corned beef sandwiches.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by indo79
Just a warning, this place is VERY VERY VERY small and gets packed VERY VERY VERY easily

It opens at noon on Sundays and sometimes people can be waiting outside at 11.30am
Is Ajishin known for anything in particular?

--
All the Japanese ex-pats love their udon. Other dishes are good too.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
The chef at Zingerman's Roadhouse was nominated for a regional James Beard award. Not bad for a BBQ joint.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:11 pm

Ate at La Pita (middle Eastern restaurant) off of Michigan Ave in Dearborn today. Very good meal all-around, but world-class pita (as the name would suggest).
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:31 pm

IKEA

Pulled due to not meeting superior taste hurdle.

Last edited by Bikeguy; Jul 6, 2009 at 3:28 pm
Old Jul 6, 2009, 7:31 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
IKEA is a Scandinavian furniture store in Canton,
I had their penne and sauce for $1.99.
I think I have a different definition of what constitutes a "best eat", in your opinion is IKEA's penne & sauce a superior tasting penne & sauce than other Italian restaurants in the Canton area or is it simply a good tasting value meal at $1.99? If latter it shouldn't be in the Best Eats category IMO.

an example, if I go out and spend $20 for a good tasting steak at Restaurant A, then for whatever reason Restaurant A is now able to serve that same steak for $5, this doesn't affect the taste of the steak, it is still the same good tasting steak but now at a great price. A Best Eat IMO is if the dish served is superior tasting to other similar dishes served elsewhere.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 3:27 pm

I think I have a different definition of what constitutes a "best eat", in your opinion is IKEA's penne & sauce a superior tasting penne & sauce than other Italian restaurants in the Canton area or is it simply a good tasting value meal at $1.99? If latter it shouldn't be in the Best Eats category IMO.

an example, if I go out and spend $20 for a good tasting steak at Restaurant A, then for whatever reason Restaurant A is now able to serve that same steak for $5, this doesn't affect the taste of the steak, it is still the same good tasting steak but now at a great price. A Best Eat IMO is if the dish served is superior tasting to other similar dishes served elsewhere.
Then it shouldn't be in here. I guess I put it in more from a unique dining experience, that is unique enough to mention in this thread, IMHO. But if superior taste is required , then it should be pulled, and has been now.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 2:45 pm

The Common Grill in Chelsea. Good stuff!
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by jcherney
I hate to tell you this, but Cameron's is a chain, and they were just purchased by Ruths Chris....

I like Cameron's much better than all of those others you mentioned, and hope that Ruth's doesn't change much in terms of it's food or atmosphere.
Both Mortons and Capital Grille chains as well.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Crepes

Detroit seems to be in the midst of a crepe craze these days. My vote for best goes to "Good Girls Go to Paris" on Woodward Ave next to the Detroit Institute of Arts. They also operate a stand in Eastern Market on Saturday mornings.

I have not yet been to the Whata Crepe in Royal Oak, but have heard good things about it too. Will find out soon enough, as I am supposed to go there with friends next week.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
Best Hamburger--

Bates---Corner of 5 Mile and Farmington in Livonia!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Crepe update

I ate at What Crepe? in Royal Oak recently, which is much more upscale than Good Girls Go to Paris. What Crepe? has a fancy dining room and crepes with inventive combinations. Everything was very good, but pricy.

If you want what I consider more authentic french crepes, Good Girls should be your choice. What Crepe? doesn't even have a basic lemon crepe as a "sweet" choice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.