Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Consolidated "Layover at ORD - what to do? where to go? how much time?" thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
And it will not be completely dark by 8:30. It's a couple days shy of the longest day of the year.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:52 am
glg

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
The good news is that there's no major event at either Soldier Field or the United Center next Saturday, so those are two major traffic contributors that are off the table. But you should still expect the possibility of traffic at 6:30 or 7 pm.
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
And it will not be completely dark by 8:30. It's a couple days shy of the longest day of the year.
Since the posts were from earlier in the week, I'm pretty sure directcj meant last night. I went out to Lincolnwood for dinner last night. Inbound looked pretty bad at 6 when I was outbound.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by glg
It's less than 1/2 mile. If you only have smallish bags that you could walk up stairs, ride at the back of the train from ORD, get off at Clark/Lake and go to the exit closest to the rear of the train. Up the stairs to the mezzazine, then take the south exit (labeled on the walls). That'll put you going south on Wells just south of Lake. Walk 2 blocks to Washington, turn right, one block to Franklin, turn left, hotel on the right 1/2 down on Franklin.
Thank You! glg
detailed directions were very helpful especially since one doesn't typically get accurate location due to tall buildings - google map was showing we were 2 blocks away from when I exited the station.

We came in on an intl flight so had to go through customs, by the time we got to the station and took the train it was 45 minutes. Add ~ 45 minutes for the train ride and we got to the hotel ~ 830. Wasn't dark yet.

I bought the 24 hour pass - $10, knowing we would need it to get around town for eats. Single use pass would have been $5. 1st machine didn't give me the option of buying the single use pass and had me buy a VETRA card for addtl $5. I thought this was odd so went to another machine and it allowed buying the pass without the VETRA card.

We tried to go to Au Cheval; my daughters friend works for fancy restaurant in NY and recommended it. Unfortunately, 2.5 hr wait. Ended up going to Green Street for BBQ - ^^

We used uberXL to get back even though we could still use the metro since w e wanted to get another 1/2 hr of sleep. I believe it was $50 or so

Originally Posted by glg
Since the posts were from earlier in the week, I'm pretty sure directcj meant last night. I went out to Lincolnwood for dinner last night. Inbound looked pretty bad at 6 when I was outbound.
Yup. It was last night.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 13, 2017 at 4:16 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by directcj
Ended up going to Green Street for BBQ - ^^
Surprised the wait for Au Cheval wasn't even longer, to be honest. Great job on the audible to GSSM, though ^
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I hadn't paid attention in a couple weeks, but you're right, I noticed this weekend that it's nearly 9:00 now.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:15 pm

6 hours and 30 minutes connection in ORD. Flying in on UA arriving at 9:20 AM and departing in LH F late afternoon. I was thinking millennium park / hotdog then back to the polaris lounge. Does that seem manageable?

Will also only just have a carry on. I wonder if I'll need to go to the LH counter / machines to get a BP (hopefully with precheck)?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by jayoxd
6 hours and 30 minutes connection in ORD. Flying in on UA arriving at 9:20 AM and departing in LH F late afternoon. I was thinking millennium park / hotdog then back to the polaris lounge. Does that seem manageable?

Will also only just have a carry on. I wonder if I'll need to go to the LH counter / machines to get a BP (hopefully with precheck)?
Doesn't leave a lot of time, but doable. Best part, you don't have to commit in advance: if UA is late and/or the weather does not cooperate, you can choose to enjoy the self-serve bourbon/rye whiskey bar instead.

LH does have a mobile app that shows boarding passes, but in any case, their check-in counters aren't that much of a detour.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA MM

Since it's a "connection", wouldn't UA be issuing a BP for your LH flight?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
The last time I flew LH F out of ORD (3 years ago), counter check in for F was quick and painless. Priority security basically put us at the head of the line. This was before LH joined precheck. The entire process took something like 10 minutes.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by legalalien
Doesn't leave a lot of time, but doable. Best part, you don't have to commit in advance: if UA is late and/or the weather does not cooperate, you can choose to enjoy the self-serve bourbon/rye whiskey bar instead.

LH does have a mobile app that shows boarding passes, but in any case, their check-in counters aren't that much of a detour.
yeah i'll have to play by ear. hopefully 1 hour train ride 1 hour at the park and 1 hour back with plenty of time left to spare.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Since it's a "connection", wouldn't UA be issuing a BP for your LH flight?
this is where it's confusing as it was redeemed through aeroplan and flying on UA / LH...
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:01 pm

yeah i'll have to play by ear. hopefully 1 hour train ride 1 hour at the park and 1 hour back with plenty of time left to spare.

this is where it's confusing as it was redeemed through aeroplan and flying on UA / LH...
I think UA would print both of your BPs when you check in for your first flight. the most likely reason for why it wouldn't work out that way is if they are two completely separate reservations (and unlinked). Doubt that's the case, though.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Alright, it's 2018, the Gino's on Higgins that I ate at two years ago is gone. I have a ~3 hour connection at ORD. What's a good place to get a take-and-bake Chicago Style pizza near ORD that's on or near the El? I'm not looking to dine in, but rather want to grab one to bring home (that is, if they do it; I know Giordanos does)
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by diburning
Alright, it's 2018, the Gino's on Higgins that I ate at two years ago is gone. I have a ~3 hour connection at ORD. What's a good place to get a take-and-bake Chicago Style pizza near ORD that's on or near the El? I'm not looking to dine in, but rather want to grab one to bring home (that is, if they do it; I know Giordanos does)
Giordano's Rosemont restaurant is just over a half mile from the Rosemont Blue Line station. Very walkable if the weather's okay.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mktozd
The Gaslight Club can be fun depending upon what type of mood you are in. Imagine a tame version of the 1960s Playboy Club with good food. The food is is very good and its the type of place that does not exist anymore. Fine for singles, couple and everyone unless with children.
Was wondering if any has had more recent experiences at The Gaslight Club?

We got in on the ORD-SYD NZ $1500 RT biz deal and plan on flying into ORD the night before, staying at the Hilton O'Hare. I've been through that hotel a million times and never realized what an historic place the Gaslight actually is. Looks fabulous! I'm okay with the cost, but am curious to know if the food is actually any good...
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Hi everyone, I'm planning a trip in the summer of 2020 and I'll have a 5.5 hour layover at ORD. I'll be arriving on JAL F to T5 at 8:50am and departing Air Canada J from T2 at 2:20pm. Wondering about the following questions:

1. Best lounge options? I know my AC ticket doesn't get me into the Polaris lounge, but can my arrival on JAL F get me in anywhere fancy? Otherwise is United Club the only option? I do also have priority pass via Amex (can I use the PP lounges in T5 if I'm only arriving in T5 but departing from T2?)
2. Do I have time to jump on the train to downtown and take a selfie in Millennium Park? I do have Global Entry and TSA Pre which should make the lines more manageable. If so, best place to store luggage at the airport?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.