Reload this Page >

Jake’s Delicatessen – Milwaukee

Old Jun 9, 2004, 2:42 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

So I had read some good press, real good press on Jake's. A quote from a person on another board suggested “as good as Katz’ in NYC” OK, if it even approaches Katz’ , I’m there.

I finish with a client in Elkhorn, look at the map, Milwaukee is only 40 minutes away and it is “kind of” on the way back to the office in Schauburg, kind of....... OK, twist my arm.

First the atmosphere. Terrific. Wood slat ceiling, old funky neon on the inside, dive place. The smells are great.

I take a number, as it is 11:45am and getting busy (number dispenser just to right of door as you enter).
I’m starting to drool, walking around, surveying the whole set up. One of the guys is digging briskets out of a steamer in front of him; I’m now getting delirious.

The huge positive is how Jake’s handles the product, keeping it unbelievably moist in those steamers. Then lovingly slicing it by hand. By far the moistest product I’ve had in the Midwest, the texture is perfect.

While Jake's is not Katz's or Langer's, it is the best corned beef &/or pastrami sandwich in the Midwest that I'm aware of.
Chicago's deli restaurants could learn a thing or two from Jake's (yes I'm talking to you Manny's, Kaufman's, Max & Benny's, etc etc)

Jake’s
1634 W North Avenue,
Milwaukee
414-562-1272

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Aug 1, 2013 at 7:56 am
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:59 am
Original Poster

So I had not been to Jake's in a couple years. Shame on me.

Mrs Sweet Willie & I stopped by for dinner last Thursday night on our way up to N Wisconsin.

Holy cow the sandwiches were even better than I last remember.

If you are a deli person & love corned beef &/or pastrami, GET THEE TO JAKE'S !
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL FO, WN AL
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
So I had not been to Jake's in a couple years. Shame on me.

Mrs Sweet Willie & I stopped by for dinner last Thursday night on our way up to N Wisconsin.

Holy cow the sandwiches were even better than I last remember.

If you are a deli person & love corned beef &/or pastrami, GET THEE TO JAKE'S !

I'll agree with Sweet Willie here, Jake's is pretty incredible. However, a note of caution from a Milwaukee resident, make sure to go in the daylight. The original location (around 16th & North) is a little bit rough. No real problems in the daylight, but I wouldn't really want to be there after dark.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, Early Returns
FYI: I noticed they opened another location in the Grand Avenue Mall downtown when we were in there last month!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by spartan3186
I'll agree with Sweet Willie here, Jake's is pretty incredible. However, a note of caution from a Milwaukee resident, make sure to go in the daylight. The original location (around 16th & North) is a little bit rough. No real problems in the daylight, but I wouldn't really want to be there after dark.
Total agreement (from a Marquette grad and former Milwaukeean). In fact, I may recommend against going to 17th and North even in the daytime.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spartan3186
No real problems in the daylight, but I wouldn't really want to be there after dark.
my last post was when Mrs Sweet Willie & I went for dinner, it was my first time at Jake's for dinner. I could see how some might feel the area is rough around the edges. I've always been there during lunchtime and have never had or heard about any issues.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I have been at Jakes at all hours and have never been fearful.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:12 am
Original Poster

I was looking forward to Jake's North Ave location for a Flyertalker lunch in Nov but then realized that it is closed on Sundays, bummer. I realize the 2 mall locations are open but really don't have a desire to dine at a mall.

An acceptable corned beef alternative to Jakes is House of Corned Beef: http://houseofcornedbeef.com/
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I was looking forward to Jake's North Ave location for a Flyertalker lunch in Nov but then realized that it is closed on Sundays, bummer. I realize the 2 mall locations are open but really don't have a desire to dine at a mall.

An acceptable corned beef alternative to Jakes is House of Corned Beef: http://houseofcornedbeef.com/
In my opinion, the best corned beef in Milwaukee is here:

http://countyclare-inn.com/

Great atmosphere, too!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.