Search

Pine Yard Restaurant - Chinese - Evanston

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2003, 6:38 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Pine Yard Restaurant - Chinese - Evanston

This place used to be one of our favorites in all of Chicagoland years ago.

My wife and I found ourselves in Evanston on Sunday night after going for a walk in the moonlight along Lake Michigan and decided to visit an old favorite. First shock, they’ve moved, hopefully onto better and brighter days I’m thinking.

We find them, now located at 1033 Davis (across from the main Evanston Post Office), phone: 847.475.4940

Second shock, the interior is nothing like the old subdued restaurant, it is now very bright with some neon on the ceiling even.

Third shock (and final, most important straw) the food was very mediocre. Say it isn’t so.

Appetizer of tofu with “special ginger sauce” was nothing more than 5 2”x2” fried cubes of tofu served with a liquidy (yet very tasty) ginger sauce. Sauce was so runny that it did not cling to the fried tofu. What a disappointment.

Main courses: Wife had Mongolian Lamb and I the Szechwan Beef (an old favorite from here).

My dish was nothing like it used to be, I made sure to request spicy and it was not. My wife actually tasted it first and made the comment, “I don’t think it will be spicy enough for you.” How right she was, there were no tones of the earthy, peppery tones I used to enjoy.

The acceptable dish was the Mongolian Lamb, very tasty, tender pieces of Lamb made this dish a good dish.

Oh well, things change, sometimes not for the better.

Pine Yard Restaurant
1033 Davis Street
Evanston, IL

Old Dec 8, 2003, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
That's sad to hear. Pineyard was one of the reliable places to get something to eat during my nine years that I was at school/work in Evanston (1985-1994). That whole area has changed dramatically, and I suspect that the increased costs of operating in that environment had to take its toll someplace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.