Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Chicago hotels ?

Chicago hotels ?

Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Chicago hotels ?

I'm Hilton Diamond and SPG/Marriott Gold and will be in town at the end of the year,from the 26th until the 30th. I've been searching for various TripAdvisor reviews of both types of properties but I haven't been able to decide on a property. I would like to take advantage of my status but obviously there are no guarantees. That being said, if you had to pick Hilton vs. SPG/M, which would you pick and why?
It would be nice if it was near the blue line to get to ORD, but it's not a must. I know my way around the city so I can figure all that out.
Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I have not stayed at any of the SPG properties, but my favorite Marriott is the Renaissance on State at the river. Great location and only a couple blocks from the blue line. Also, the JW is quite nice.

As for Hilton, I have only stayed at the Palmer House. Another great location, but some rooms are kind of small.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jcm55a
I'm Hilton Diamond and SPG/Marriott Gold and will be in town at the end of the year,from the 26th until the 30th. I've been searching for various TripAdvisor reviews of both types of properties but I haven't been able to decide on a property. I would like to take advantage of my status but obviously there are no guarantees. That being said, if you had to pick Hilton vs. SPG/M, which would you pick and why?
It would be nice if it was near the blue line to get to ORD, but it's not a must. I know my way around the city so I can figure all that out.
Thanks!
I have not stayed at any of the SPG properties, but would recommend a look at the Hotel Chicago Downtown (Autograph Collection).

If you are willing to go the Advanced Purchase rate, $524 for the 4 nights. Nice lounge, stylish rooms. Central location. Good staff.

You can typically find really good rates for Downtown Chicago during holiday weeks...
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
If you want to be in the city center and convenient to the Blue Line, you have the following options:

Westin Chicago River North (3 - 4 blocks from Clark/Lake)
W Chicago City Center (2 blocks from Monroe/Dearborn or 3 blocks from Jackson/Dearborn Blue Line)
Renaissance Hotel Chicago (2 blocks from Clark/Lake)
JW Marriott Chicago (3 blocks Jackson/Dearborn)

There are other very nice hotels in the Michigan Avenue are but these are really not convenient for the Blue Line. You would need to take a cab from the Blue Line to the hotel (unless you don't mind hauling your bags on a 6 - 9 block trek from the nearest Blue Line station in the middle of a Chicago winter).

If you want to a convenient location for the River North and Michigan Avenue areas then you would look at either the Westin River North or the Renaissance Hotel Chicago. If you are more interested in the Loop area then you might focus on the other two.

I have not stayed at any of the SPG or Marriott properties downtown but have been at meetings and/or events at most and they all seem very nice. I think your are going down the right path by digging in to the reviews for the properties. Just narrow the field down by your geographic requirements and don't waste time on ones that don't match your requirements.

Last edited by cheltzel; Aug 9, 2017 at 3:55 am
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If you want to take advantage of your elite perks & the hotels you're considering have exec lounges, check to see if the lounges will be open during the 26th-30th. Some properties close their lounges during the Xmas holidays because bookings are down/less biz travelers. That might not apply in Chicago, as it's a pretty popular destination, but definitely something to consider.

If closed you would still be entitled to breakfast (don't forget to link your SPG/MAR accounts if you haven't done so, as SPG doesn't provide brekkie to Golds but MAR does).

Cheers.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you want to take advantage of your elite perks & the hotels you're considering have exec lounges, check to see if the lounges will be open during the 26th-30th. Some properties close their lounges during the Xmas holidays because bookings are down/less biz travelers. That might not apply in Chicago, as it's a pretty popular destination, but definitely something to consider.

If closed you would still be entitled to breakfast (don't forget to link your SPG/MAR accounts if you haven't done so, as SPG doesn't provide brekkie to Golds but MAR does).

Cheers.
Thanks for the tip about the SPG gold versus MAR gold, I didn't know that! I'll keep searching around. Like you all know there's no guarantees for anything even with status but I'm just hoping to put myself in the best position. [and thanks to everyone else that responded so far]
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:24 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
I have elite status with Marriott and IHG. However, the last time we were in Chicago, we stayed at Kimpton Gray. It is very conveniently located (very close to PrivateBank Theater) and the staff was outstanding.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gantid
I have elite status with Marriott and IHG. However, the last time we were in Chicago, we stayed at Kimpton Gray. It is very conveniently located (very close to PrivateBank Theater) and the staff was outstanding.
You mentioned the theatre, did you go watch Hamilton ?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DavidDTW

As for Hilton, I have only stayed at the Palmer House. Another great location, but some rooms are kind of small.
I would actually restate this as: a great hotel, except for the rooms.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Not to veer off on a tangent from the main topic, but the show is great! I wasn't thrilled with Wayne Brady as Burr on my second visit, but definitely worth seeing!!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
I would actually restate this as: a great hotel, except for the rooms.
Yea I saw the reviews/pictures, that hotel is def not on my radar at the moment.

Right now I'm considering theWit or the Renaissance...
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:56 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
yes, that was the reason for our visit. it was raining and the staff were kind enough to provide umbrellas for my family. We walked to the theater.

Hamilton tickets in NYC were too expensive. The Chicago version was fantastic.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:50 pm

I've stayed at a good many of the Hiltons and a few Marriotts. The Wit is fantastic. We usually go there or the WA. Loved the old Conrad as well.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
I've stayed at a good many of the Hiltons and a few Marriotts. The Wit is fantastic. We usually go there or the WA. Loved the old Conrad as well.
What did you like about the Wit? I randomly came across it and am currently booked with them.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
What did you like about the Wit? I randomly came across it and am currently booked with them.
As just a local who hasn't stayed there, the biggest advantage is you get direct access to the fantastic, open-air rooftop lounge, while those not staying at the hotel have to wait in a long line on weekends.

It's also a great location for just about anything you want to do within the city.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.