Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Ok to drive a convertible from Chicago to Delavan (WI)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ok to drive a convertible from Chicago to Delavan (WI)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JBord
OK - of all the things to worry about while on a road trip, this has to be one of the lowest on the list.

Yes, there are deer in Wisconsin. It's not common to see them on the roads, and extremely rare to see them on a busy highway. You're most likely to see deer during late November, when hunters are driving them through the woods, which sometimes require them to cross roads.

It's very rare to hit a deer during the day. It usually happens at night when you can't see them near the road. And more likely to happen on heavily wooded roads where they bound out of the woods to cross the street. And again, they're typically only running during hunting season.

If you were driving down a dark country road at night in November, being vigilant for deer crossing the road is good advice. Otherwise, the odds of you even seeing a deer on your route are miniscule.
I see deer on the Wisconsin state and national highways just about every other day while driving there in the summer. I have had multiple close calls of my own with deer during the day and during the night. And they are running even during non-hunting season, which is when I've seen most of the deer road kills take place.

Deer hits are definitely more of an issue during the dark hours than in the daytime IME, but that's also a factor of drivers facing worse visibility conditions at night.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Thanks everyone
I did the drive today. I had to close convertible in Delavan but on return trip, I just used windshield wipers while keeping car open. I love convertibles! Wisconsin is so lovely, esp lake Geneva.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gaobest
Thanks everyone
I did the drive today. I had to close convertible in Delavan but on return trip, I just used windshield wipers while keeping car open. I love convertibles! Wisconsin is so lovely, esp lake Geneva.
Lake Geneva is indeed lovely. Just curious but where did you stay in the area and would you recommend the place you stayed (if you did stay around there)?

Edit: My bad, it sounds like it was just a day trip.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm still confused about the whole convertible issue. What was the concern?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm still confused about the whole convertible issue. What was the concern?
Safety concerns about driving a convertible with the top down on a highway at high speeds; legal concerns about driving convertibles in Wisconsin. Nothing confusing about it.

Some jurisdictions have peculiar driving related laws. For example, in Wisconsin for many years it was fine in much or all of the state to use the windshield wipers without having the lights on during the day; but at some point the law was changed on that. It caught visitors to the state by surprise since it's not commonly the case across the country that using the wipers in the day legally required also having the car headlights on. Since last year the law was clarified and is now tied to visibility distance.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I really don't want to flog the dead donkey, but I'm not clear why it would occur to someone to ask about the legality of driving a convertible in Wisconsin. It would be like me asking whether it's ok to ride a bicycle while wearing a red tshirt.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Safety concerns about driving a convertible with the top down on a highway at high speeds; legal concerns about driving convertibles in Wisconsin. Nothing confusing about it.

Some jurisdictions have peculiar driving related laws. For example, in Wisconsin for many years it was fine in much or all of the state to use the windshield wipers without having the lights on during the day; but at some point the law was changed on that. It caught visitors to the state by surprise since it's not commonly the case across the country that using the wipers in the day legally required also having the car headlights on. Since last year the law was clarified and is now tied to visibility distance.
When they prohibit the sales of convertible automobiles in the state of Wisconsin then it's probably worth inquiring whether it's legal to drive them there. Until then....
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
When they prohibit the sales of convertible automobiles in the state of Wisconsin then it's probably worth inquiring whether it's legal to drive them there. Until then....
Wisconsin had -- it may still have -- some kind of restrictions on the amount of time that convertibles can actually be driven in the state, but I have seen convertibles sold in the state even with those time limits in place.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:45 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Wisconsin had -- it may still have -- some kind of restrictions on the amount of time that convertibles can actually be driven in the state, but I have seen convertibles sold in the state even with those time limits in place.
Source?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Source?
Source of what? Wisconsin driver's ed books provided to high school students in the state had mentioned time limits at some point. And car dealer lots.

In other news, Wisconsin had a law -- maybe it still does -- that gave cows the right of way on public roads.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 11, 2017 at 12:40 pm
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA MM
Seems motoring in convertibles is very alive and well in Wisconsin:

http://www.postbulletin.com/life/tra...3d60f92cc.html
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Source of what? Wisconsin driver's ed books provided to high school students in the state had mentioned time limits at some point. And car dealer lots.

In other news, Wisconsin had a law -- maybe it still does -- that gave cows the right of way on public roads.
I lived there from 1978 to 1995. I don't recall anything special about convertibles and knew people who had them. The Corvette convertible was a favorite at the local wealthy Catholic high school in the 80's.

Common sense says there's a time limit on when you can drive convertibles in Wisconsin. Even if there were some 60-year old law on the books about convertibles, it doesn't mean it would be enforced. I'm with the others here who don't understand the reason for the question.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:58 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD

The information you are sharing is just not correct.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GB
The information you are sharing is just not correct.
What information is incorrect? The state has had restrictions on the times when convertibles could be driven and has had a restriction that granted cows/livestock the right of way on the road. Both are correct. While, as indicated earlier, I don't know the current status of those restrictions -- since neither seems to have been enforced for decades -- these restrictions were in place long before there was an FT and are part of living memory for some of us with extensive history of driving in the state.

Residents of a place most commonly don't know all the funky historical legal restrictions a state has had and even may still have.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Seems motoring in convertibles is very alive and well in Wisconsin:

http://www.postbulletin.com/life/tra...3d60f92cc.html
For years now, there have even been open top touring events promoted by the local tourism info providers and regional administrative entities otherwise. And car dealers have been selling convertibles in the state for as long as I have been vehicle shopping in the state.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 14, 2017 at 5:24 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I returned convertible on Tuesday late afternoon. Wednesday was a brutal rain storm in Chicago (which contributed to my ord flight being 4 hours delayed), so I returned it with lucky timing. Thanks again to everyone - Wisconsin is definitely more lovely from an open top perspective!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.