Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCI Airport - Innovative Private Approach

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
I think there is no point in "fixing up" a terminal conceived before modern security needs or hub/spoke networks took hold, and not adaptable to either. MCI could be a great hub if transfers weren't so onerous and amenities so lacking.
Absolutely agree. The infrastructure just was not designed for 2017 level security.

Kansas City is centrally located, three runways and has few weather delays. All the makings of a great future hub.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by msglsmo
The infrastructure just was not designed for 2017 level security.
It wasn't designed for any level of security. The blueprints were drawn up in the 1960s and MCI opened in 1972. Mandatory airport security did not start nationwide until '73.

Unless I'm mistaken, TWA had a big hand in MCI's design and demanded the mini-DFW, drive-right-to-your-gate configuration. (Good for O/D traffic, not so good for a hub because of gate-to-gate distances, and TWA conceived of MCI as its grand central-US hub, but... whatever.)

When they had to layer all those security checkpoints into the mix, and the mini gate areas could not cope with 747 and L-1011 pax loads, TWA demanded major changes to the still-nearly-new terminals at taxpayer expense. Local officials told them to get lost, which is why TWA moved camp to STL.

Correct me if I've gotten anything wrong, but I think history shows MCI was struggling almost from opening day.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Even the strongest proponents here in Kansas City have pretty much given up any talk of a hub, and the proposed new terminal will have 35 gates, enough to replace the existing gates (actually a few less gates than they currently have, but they will be able to do more common use for smaller carriers like Alaska, Spirit, and Allegient, and the international gates will be able to be used for domestic departures, which the current single international arrival gate can not). The plans call for it to be designed to have 7 gates added for 42 total. In any event, even if they added the 7 gates, the most gates a single airline could have would be about a dozen, hardly enough for a hub. You could hope for it to be a focus city, and it might be a good spot for Southwest to expand a little, and there's room for AS/VX and B6 to come in potentially.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckles
Even the strongest proponents here in Kansas City have pretty much given up any talk of a hub, and the proposed new terminal will have 35 gates, enough to replace the existing gates (actually a few less gates than they currently have, but they will be able to do more common use for smaller carriers like Alaska, Spirit, and Allegient, and the international gates will be able to be used for domestic departures, which the current single international arrival gate can not). The plans call for it to be designed to have 7 gates added for 42 total. In any event, even if they added the 7 gates, the most gates a single airline could have would be about a dozen, hardly enough for a hub. You could hope for it to be a focus city, and it might be a good spot for Southwest to expand a little, and there's room for AS/VX and B6 to come in potentially.
Focus city is of course the goal, my point was more that KC's location would be suitable for a hub.

International would be a good bet, with gates that can handle the bigger planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.