Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago vacation - some advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Chicago vacation - some advice needed

Hi all,

I will be going to Chicago in a few weeks for a wedding at Kuipers Family Farm.
I figure we'll rent a car for that day and stay the rest of the time in the city, since thats where most of the stuff is.

We've never been to Chicago before and it will be our first vacation with the kids (1 and 3 years old)

I looked online and came up with these options (I grouped them based on location/proximity)

1. Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum

2. Millennium Park
Art Institute Of Chicacago
Buckingham Fountain

3. The Field Museum of Natural History
Shedd Aquarium
Adler Planetarium

4. Navy Pier / Children’s Museum

5. Museum of Science and Industry

Are there any that I should definitely take out/kids would hate it.
Although to be honest, at 1 and 3...they will hate most things (although I want to go to most of these - especailly #3 and #5)

Also which area should I look for a hotel? "Downtown" ?
I have both Marriott and Hilton points.

If it was the wife and I only, I would stay in a Hilton or Marriott.
But with the kids, I think its better someplace with a kitchen.
Like a Homewood Suites or a Residence Inn
=/

Thank you for any help.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
When we took my niece, who even at age 2 was an animal lover, to the Shedd, she lasted about 30 minutes and started crying and screaming. We left after paying for expensive tickets for 5 people. I'm sharing that story only to warn you that you may not want to gamble on too many of the expensive venues.

Get a hotel downtown, preferably north of the river, or within 6 blocks south or so. Within a couple blocks of Michigan avenue. This puts you in walking distance of many things, an L ride to others. Up to you if you'll have a car or not, but if you do I'd recommend keeping it parked. Parking in the areas you want to go is either hard to find or very expensive. Plus, you'll have to pay for parking at the hotel so you could easily end up paying $70-100 a day in parking if you drive around.

By your numbers:

1. This is in Lincoln Park, a few miles north of downtown. I wouldn't go up there just for this, but nice to stop in if you want to let the 3 year old run around in the park a little bit on a nice day.

2. Do this, although you may not want to do the Art Institute with the kids (but it's excellent). But they'll enjoy the park.

3. You read my story. If the kids are well rested, you might try the Shedd . I'd say skip the Adler. The Field is good and has dinosaurs.

4. I hate sending people to Navy pier, but 3 years old is just about the right age to enjoy it for a little bit. Up on the top deck there are some games and rides for kids I believe. Plus the ferris wheel.

5. Tough call. It's pretty far south, you'd need to drive or take a taxi. Kids may or may not like it. Big and usually really crowded too.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
If your 3 year old is into trains (especially), tractors etc Museum of Science & Industry would be a great pick. There is a CTA bus (#10) which runs from the Michigan Ave area down to MSI without intermediate stops.

If your 3 year old is into dolls the American Girl flagship store is a regional destination, just be prepared to drop some cash...

I love the Art Institute but it doesn't strike me as super kid-friendly (esp at those ages)

Only thing I would add would be one of the observation decks: either Willis (formerly Sears) Tower or the John Hancock Center. Obviously only worth doing on a day or night with clear skies.

If you do park downtown, use the SpotHero app to find something near your hotel; you'll almost certainly save money over whatever your hotel charges.

Pretty much any hotel that includes "River North" or "Magnificent Mile" in its name is in the area you want to be. "The Loop" is a perfectly safe area but is basically the financial district without much in the way of tourist attractions; it becomes rather dead after 5pm & on weekends except for some of the retail right on State Street (e.g. Macy's.) There is a dual Residence Inn/Springhill Suites at Dearborn & Hubbard that is quite nice (although I've only ever stayed in a SHS room there)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:17 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
My brother and sister-in-law and their 2 kids (9 and 3) stayed at the Residence Inn off Michigan Ave. and were very pleased.

For kids, I'd recommend:

* Children's Museum (plus Navy Pier has a lot of other kid-friendly stuff to do and see)
* Lincoln Park Zoo (bonus...free!)
* Museum of Science and Industry (or the "Museum of Science and Industry and Touch This" as I like to call it)
* Shedd Aquarium
* Millennium Park (free!)
* Maggie Daley Park (playground adjacent Millennium Park, and free)

I think your kids may be a touch too young for the Nature Museum, but if they like butterflies it could be worth the expense. I'd skip the Field Museum unless you have a child who is fascinated by dinosaurs. I'd also skip the Adler, Art Institute and MCA (which I know you didn't have on your list).
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:46 pm
glg

Your 3 year old will probably enjoy the Nature Museum. Three pieces in particular, there is a water exhibit about rivers and runoff and all kinds of stuff, but it's interactive (ie splashing in the water), they have ponchos, but bring a change of clothes just in case. There is also a kids area with a slide and some climbing and stuff. As mentioned, the butterfly habitat is the highlight. It also has the benefit of being less expensive than the downtown museums. It's also 2 blocks north of the previously mentioned Lincoln Park Zoo which is free and it's in the middle of Lincoln Park, so if it's a nice day you can just let the kids run in the park a bit.

If it's warm enough, the fountain in Millennium Park is great, it's basically a big splash pad, kids love it. The bean is a required tourist photo. Buckingham is beautiful, but you can't get in it like you can at Millennium.

The Children's Museum has lots for younger kids.

I'm with JBord on most of the rest of the museums (Field, Shedd, Adler and MSI). You're taking a big risk with young kids paying for an expensive museum that they might just time out after being there a very short time. The further risk with MSI is that it's a bit far south (~6-7 miles south of River North hotels and the traffic can be bad for the bus or taxi/uber), so if it's suddenly naptime (I've been there), you'll be far from your hotel. I would definitely encourage you to come back in about 4 years when the younger one is 5 and all those museums will be great.

For hotels, I looked at both Marriott and Hilton, if you put in "Chicago" and sort by distance, then look for the suite brands, the ones under 2 miles are generally okay, but I'll call out 2 exceptions:
Homewood West Loop - great for restaurants/bars, but I'd pass with kids, it's a bit far west of Michigan Ave, harder to walk to things.
Residence on Lasalle - Not as far west as the Homewood, but a bit west and in a somewhat boring area of the Loop, more of a biz hotel than a family one.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the info.

Yes, some of the museums will be too young for the kids....but I want to see them lol.
I guess I will have to remove them from my list....the sacrifices of a parent

We'll probably end up at a Homewood or Residence...the kitchen will be helpful in preparing food for our 1 year old. He's still not very good at eating solids so we'll have to cook/mash food for him.

How is distance in Chicago?
In NYC, 2 miles is a trek (even with subways and so on) because Manhattan is not that big. You can spend a week and see most of the big tourist sites within a 3 mile radius.

But in Dallas, 2 miles is nothing because you're driving and there are a lot of highways and big roads.

Thank you
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by sard

In NYC, 2 miles is a trek (even with subways and so on) because Manhattan is not that big. You can spend a week and see most of the big tourist sites within a 3 mile radius.

But in Dallas, 2 miles is nothing because you're driving and there are a lot of highways and big roads.

Thank you
Once you're downtown, more like NYC. We do tend to think of 2 miles as a long way here . I don't think anything on your list is more than 3 miles from downtown (or a few blocks more), except MSI. All are easily accessible via public transportation, again with MSI being a little more difficult.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:54 am

Thanks everyone for all the info.

Yes, some of the museums will be too young for the kids....but I want to see them lol.
I guess I will have to remove them from my list....the sacrifices of a parent

We'll probably end up at a Homewood or Residence...the kitchen will be helpful in preparing food for our 1 year old. He's still not very good at eating solids so we'll have to cook/mash food for him.

Thank you
Personally, if you're concerned about distances, I'd stay at the Residence Inn on Walton or the Homewood Suites on Grand. Both put you within a block of Michigan Ave., and from there you'll be able to easily take the bus to almost every one of the attractions you've mentioned. (Navy Pier from the Residence Inn would require a slightly longer walk and/or changing buses.)
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Yes

With kids that age, I would do suites hotel of either variety.

My suggestions would be, due to kids' ages:

Millennium Park/Maggie Daley for outside activities

Field Museum

Museum of Science and Industry (MSI)

Shedd if they like fish--and would like the shows. But it is pricey.

They might like the Architecture Foundation River cruise. You'll like the information and they would like being on a boat.

With a family, I think you'll find cabs a cost effective choice for getting around--especially to MSI.

Personally, I am not a Garrett's popcorn fan--but if you are near one the kids would likely enjoy.

Have fun!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by gretchendz
With kids that age, I would do suites hotel of either variety.

My suggestions would be, due to kids' ages:

Millennium Park/Maggie Daley for outside activities

Field Museum

Museum of Science and Industry (MSI)

Shedd if they like fish--and would like the shows. But it is pricey.

They might like the Architecture Foundation River cruise. You'll like the information and they would like being on a boat.

With a family, I think you'll find cabs a cost effective choice for getting around--especially to MSI.

Personally, I am not a Garrett's popcorn fan--but if you are near one the kids would likely enjoy.

Have fun!
Two notes:

I'll disagree with you re. the Architectural Foundation cruises. At least if you're on one of the outside decks, you're expected to stay seated and be quiet, both of which may be tough for little kids. People pay a lot for the cruise and don't want the narration to be drowned out by conversation, kid's chatter, etc.

Also re. cabs: Many parents don't think about this until they get to the city, but people often freak out at the idea of taking a cab with children who aren't in car seats. (Last I checked, kids are not legally required to ride in car seats in taxi cabs.)

If you're taking the bus or El, it's OK to keep your kids in strollers if it's not too crowded, but strongly frowned upon to do so if the bus/El is packed.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I took a look at the Residence Inns and according to the map view:
Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Loop

these two look pretty close to Millennium Park and the other places.

Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile looks a bit north of everything (although it is closer to the Children's museum)

Am I reading the map correctly or are the distances harder to judge on the map.

Thanks!

ps. We have no issues with taking an Uber (if its cheap). When we take it at home, my wife holds the 1 yr old and the 3 yr old sits on the seat
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Residence Inns

Hi all,

Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile looks a bit north of everything (although it is closer to the Children's museum)

Thanks!

ps. We have no issues with taking an Uber (if its cheap). When we take it at home, my wife holds the 1 yr old and the 3 yr old sits on the seat
Can't speak to quality-never stayed at any of them. However, the two on Dearborn and LaSalle are very easy walk to Millenium Park. The E. Walton one is not a bad walk for adults, but might be too much for the kids. It is very close to Water Tower Place, Hancock Center and American Girl.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:09 pm
glg

I mentioned the Downtown/Loop one earlier, it's a little west and in a boring business-y part of the loop. If prices are similar, I'd go with River North.

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I'll disagree with you re. the Architectural Foundation cruises. At least if you're on one of the outside decks, you're expected to stay seated and be quiet, both of which may be tough for little kids. People pay a lot for the cruise and don't want the narration to be drowned out by conversation, kid's chatter, etc.
+1 to this. The CAF river tour is wonderful, but not for little kids. If you just want to get on the river on a boat for a little bit, take the water taxi for $5.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 8, 2017 at 2:08 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by glg
I mentioned the Downtown/Loop one earlier, it's a little west and in a boring business-y part of the loop. If prices are similar, I'd go with River North.
+1. River North location would likely serve the OP's interests the best.

As far as Uber/taxi prices the OP mentioned, everyone seems to have different experiences here. I've done similar trips a few times with each just to test it, and usually I don't notice a significant difference.

If you're just traveling around the downtown area, it's probably an insignificant price difference, but sometimes taxis are just easier as they're waiting outside your hotel. I would think for longer trips, such as going from River North up to Lincoln Park Uber may be a little cheaper.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:17 pm

Hi all,

Thanks!

I'd suggested the Mag Mile one simply because it's a block from Michigan Ave, and the Michigan Ave. buses will take you everywhere you'll want to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.