Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Union Station(Amtrak)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage, and HHonors
Chicago Union Station(Amtrak)

I know this is a website for avaiation and all. But I was planning on taking a train from Waco,TX to Chicago and i didn't know if the area around Union Station is a good area because I've never been to Chicago. And if there is anything near the station like sight seeing, etc.. please comment. Thank you!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:46 pm

Union Station is rather near the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower -- that's probably the best thing nearby. The observation deck includes places where you can step out with only glass beneath you.

Beyond that, well, you're in the Chicago loop. So if you like to walk around big cities you may find it very exicting. But you're not close to the lakefront, nor the Michigan Ave strip, nor any of the big museums or Navy Pier. Depending on the time of year and your personal inclinations you can take a (relatively long) walk to some of those things, or take a taxi, El (elevated subway) or bus. I've done all three from Union Station and they're not too difficult. it's not that the area around Union Station is dangerous, but it's not the most lively, touristy part of the central city.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
How long will you be in Chicago and what kinds of sightseeing interests you? Will you have luggage?

As knope2001 mentions, the Sears Tower is the closest sight, but there is plenty within a couple miles. You can take a bus or the water taxi and get to other, more touristy sides of the Loop pretty quickly.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
What am I missing here? Just because the train station is in the southwest part of the Loop doesn't mean you'll spend all your time there...just like if you flew here you wouldn't just hang out at the airport. I assume you're staying overnight and will get a hotel? If so, just find one closer to Michigan Avenue and you'll be by everything you want. If you're just here for the day, take a taxi, Uber, or the L to wherever you want to go.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards, Saga Club, KrisFlyer
The old classic part of Union Station (on Canal St) is beautiful... and if you walk around outside the buliding, you'll see banners on all the lamp posts, with art representing 20 Amtrak destinations... Which i drew!

Come on by, enjoy the renovated vintage Legacy Club, and view a fellow FlyerTalker's handiwork!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.