Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ohio Water Parks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Ohio Water Parks

Planning to drive from VA to WI in a a week or two with my three children. The Sandusky, OH area is about the midway point, and it seems to be a haven for water/amusement parks. I searched the FT arhives and found a 12 year old thread on water parks, and rather than resurrect that, I thought I'd ask for specific recommendations here.

Can anyone suggest anything specific I should stop and see with children 12, 10, and 7?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Depending on where you're coming from in VA (I'm assuming DC area, since from anywhere in Southern Virginia it probably wouldn't make sense to go through Sandusky), I would strongly consider taking 70/65 instead of the OH/IN Turnpike. I know it's like 60 miles longer from N. VA, but the Turnpike is really expensive, and I just loathe driving on it.

Indianapolis has a world-class Children's Museum and may be worth a stop. Columbus has a great one as well (COSI) as well as a fantastic zoo (with water park) that wouldn't be too far of a detour from I-70.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Depending on where you're coming from in VA (I'm assuming DC area, since from anywhere in Southern Virginia it probably wouldn't make sense to go through Sandusky), I would strongly consider taking 70/65 instead of the OH/IN Turnpike. I know it's like 60 miles longer from N. VA, but the Turnpike is really expensive, and I just loathe driving on it.

Indianapolis has a world-class Children's Museum and may be worth a stop. Columbus has a great one as well (COSI) as well as a fantastic zoo (with water park) that wouldn't be too far of a detour from I-70.
Well, no reason I can't take the "northern" route one way and the "southern" route the other way. Thanks for the tip. According to Google Maps, taking the OH/IN Turnpike (I assume that's I-80) takes about an hour less time.

Can you define "really expensive"? And, yes, I'm driving from the D.C. area.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:29 pm

I know it's $17.75 one way through Ohio alone. I'm guessing about $50 each way all told when you combine PA, OH, IN, and IL tolls.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I know it's $17.75 one way through Ohio alone. I'm guessing about $50 each way all told when you combine PA, OH, IN, and IL tolls.
OK. You're right. Not cheap. But I am also used to driving from DC to north of NYC, so the round trip tolls on that journey are in excess of $50.

I assume EZ Pass is a valid form of payment along that route. Right?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:47 pm

Yes, EZ pass will work and would save you a few dollars, at least in Ohio.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
As for Sandusky, Soak City is owned/operated by Cedar Point. If you want to visit both I think you can get a combo ticket. I have heard both good and bad reviews from friends.

Some of my family really like Kalahari. Not sure if that is because of the features, or because it is indoors and open year round.

I have not been to either personally, but those are the two I hear about most often.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
As for Sandusky, Soak City is owned/operated by Cedar Point. If you want to visit both I think you can get a combo ticket. I have heard both good and bad reviews from friends.

Some of my family really like Kalahari. Not sure if that is because of the features, or because it is indoors and open year round.

I have not been to either personally, but those are the two I hear about most often.
Thanks. I am kind of leaning towards Soak City, but probably only based on photos and a handful of reviews. It would only be for a day, or part of a day, so, in the end, it's not hyper-critical that it's awesome. "Fun" will fit the bill.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Kalahari rocks

I have been to both Great Wolf Lodge and Avalanche Bay in Northern Michigan with my 11 and 13 year old daughters. We have also been to Kalahari.

Kalahari is the only one that I would put in the awesome category. Something for everyone. It is also the one with the best food options.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loomis
I have been to both Great Wolf Lodge and Avalanche Bay in Northern Michigan with my 11 and 13 year old daughters. We have also been to Kalahari.

Kalahari is the only one that I would put in the awesome category. Something for everyone. It is also the one with the best food options.
It's all indoors, right? Not sure that's what I want for summer, though I suppose it helps take sunburn out of the equation.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Kalahari has many outdoor features also, but I went in February, so I can't speak to what any of their outdoor attractions are like. Sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.