Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
That's good news on the New Orleans. I believe that makes Spirit the only nonstop service to New Orleans from Cleveland.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by paule123
That's good news on the New Orleans. I believe that makes Spirit the only nonstop service to New Orleans from Cleveland.
Allegiant will also fly this route, but only on Monday and Friday as opposed to Spirit's daily service.

I'm very curious to see what all the gates will look like in March after Allegiant moves in. Is American still moving to Concourse C?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by plinth857
Allegiant will also fly this route, but only on Monday and Friday as opposed to Spirit's daily service.

I'm very curious to see what all the gates will look like in March after Allegiant moves in. Is American still moving to Concourse C?
One of the new-style AA podiums has been sitting against the wall at the Low C gates (C5 or C7 maybe) since around the time of the RNC... It's been shifted slightly and is no longer covered in plastic wrap but no other signs of movement (jetways, other podiums, technology [computer monitors, etc] on the podium that is there]) so my guess is "Yes, but they're in no hurry".

(Came face-to-nose with a Delta 757 parked in front of the C3 door one of the last times I walked through which was kind of startling)

For my own selfish purposes I hope AA moves to C -- based on the number of times lately UA has had to put me on AA because they can't get their...stuff...together if AA were on C, I could at least make use of the UC when that happens.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
One of the new-style AA podiums has been sitting against the wall at the Low C gates (C5 or C7 maybe) since around the time of the RNC... It's been shifted slightly and is no longer covered in plastic wrap but no other signs of movement (jetways, other podiums, technology [computer monitors, etc] on the podium that is there]) so my guess is "Yes, but they're in no hurry".

For my own selfish purposes I hope AA moves to C -- based on the number of times lately UA has had to put me on AA because they can't get their...stuff...together if AA were on C, I could at least make use of the UC when that happens.
From an airport source: American is still planning on moving to C, but there is no firm timetable for the move; perhaps the second quarter. This move will make C the busiest concourse again, and A the least busy.

Also, there is now an Allegiant sign above the ticket counters used for charter flights (next to Delta). Allegiant will you common-use gates on A. Not sure of their baggage claim.

Also, the new Director of Port Control, Robert Kennedy, was announced and immediately sworn in on 1/10/17. He comes via ATL. Anyone have any information on him?

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...onsultant.html
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:04 pm

Another one for the rumor mill, hearing DL is interested in running a 1x weekly 767 to Ireland this summer. Logistic issues exist but came from a semi credible source.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by guy44134
From an airport source: American is still planning on moving to C, but there is no firm timetable for the move; perhaps the second quarter. This move will make C the busiest concourse again, and A the least busy.

Also, there is now an Allegiant sign above the ticket counters used for charter flights (next to Delta). Allegiant will you common-use gates on A. Not sure of their baggage claim.

Also, the new Director of Port Control, Robert Kennedy, was announced and immediately sworn in on 1/10/17. He comes via ATL. Anyone have any information on him?

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...onsultant.html
I can't see AA moving to C when their check in counter is towards A. Who would walk through A security all the way to C?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
I can't see AA moving to C when their check in counter is towards A. Who would walk through A security all the way to C?
I imagine they would move the ticketing counter to C also when they officially move the gates, perhaps moving SunCountry and the Charter flight check-in to A.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:54 am

I don't believe there is any plan to move the AA ticket counters, which were redone relatively recently with the new branding and big screen TV's, but who knows. There is plenty of space near B security checkpoint where Southwest used to be. And, as mentioned above, charters and Allegiant could move to ticket space already vacated by AA.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Who would think it would be a good idea to put TSA Pre at "B" -- making Pre pax walk from AA Counter->B PRE->A Gates or UA Counter->B PRE->C Gates?

In other words, post-renovation nothing at CLE makes sense from a passenger-friendly point of view, so I wouldn't put it past the airport.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: AA US
Who would think it would be a good idea to put TSA Pre at "B" -- making Pre pax walk from AA Counter->B PRE->A Gates or UA Counter->B PRE->C Gates?

In other words, post-renovation nothing at CLE makes sense from a passenger-friendly point of view, so I wouldn't put it past the airport.
Something I heard relative to another airport: Precheck pax tend to have only carryons and e-tickets. They don't use the ticket counters.

If true, putting Pre at B is the fairest location for all CLE concourses.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by RobS
Something I heard relative to another airport: Precheck pax tend to have only carryons and e-tickets. They don't use the ticket counters.

If true, putting Pre at B is the fairest location for all CLE concourses.
If you start with the assumption that PRE can be at one checkpoint only, maybe (and as an E-ticketed pre pax who always stops by the ticket counter for a boarding pass and 99.9% of the time is checking a bag, it would be interesting if there was a scientific study on the subject), maybe.

That, though, ignores that PRE was previously offered at multiple checkpoints [and is still intermittently offered on C, though it seems to be a relative crapshoot], and it inconveniences both PRE passengers on A/C who utilize the ticket counters and/or check bags as well as non-PRE passengers on B regardless of ticket counter usage.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:51 pm

Anyone see this yet? http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...ml#incart_2box

I hope our new director can fix the multitude of problems with the airport.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Allegiant sign is posted already, they will be near the center of the check-in area near charters.

AA is moving to C this spring.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA
UA and CLE

According to USA Today, Cleveland ranks #8/10 busiest airport based on departures for United in 2016. http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/01/26/fleet-and-hubs-united-airlines-numbers/96983530/
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA MM
If you start with the assumption that PRE can be at one checkpoint only, maybe (and as an E-ticketed pre pax who always stops by the ticket counter for a boarding pass and 99.9% of the time is checking a bag, it would be interesting if there was a scientific study on the subject), maybe.

That, though, ignores that PRE was previously offered at multiple checkpoints [and is still intermittently offered on C, though it seems to be a relative crapshoot], and it inconveniences both PRE passengers on A/C who utilize the ticket counters and/or check bags as well as non-PRE passengers on B regardless of ticket counter usage.
It makes perfect sense they placed PreCheck at the center of the airport. And by having a dedicated area for PreCheck, they have enough room as the program expands plus you know it will always be open (for all practical purposes). CLE is small enough that no one is inconvenienced.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.