Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Back flying for the first time in too long (6ish weeks) and I find that apparently airport management has decided to replace the baggage conveyor system (I thought upgrades were part of the "upgrades" that finished before the RNC) -- and for foreseeable future (agent said project was expected to take a year, but unsure if United's TCs will be affected for the entire duration) after bags are tagged we'll have to schlep our bags from the ticket counter to a TSA encampment.

The good-ish news is that this poorly thought out boondoggle is a landmark on the way to the supreme boondoggle of TSA Pre at B only.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Back flying for the first time in too long (6ish weeks) and I find that apparently airport management has decided to replace the baggage conveyor system (I thought upgrades were part of the "upgrades" that finished before the RNC) -- and for foreseeable future (agent said project was expected to take a year, but unsure if United's TCs will be affected for the entire duration) after bags are tagged we'll have to schlep our bags from the ticket counter to a TSA encampment.

The good-ish news is that this poorly thought out boondoggle is a landmark on the way to the supreme boondoggle of TSA Pre at B only.
It's being replaced by an airport wide interline baggage system. I'll be shocked if the project will done in a year. I prefer the CTX machines myself.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
I just booked my first flight on Spirit (god help me, but it's nonstop to RSW for $89 before UA resumes seasonal service on 12/15...) and they have an option for $10 "Shortcut Security" -- I assume this is some kind of "premier" line at the A checkpoint - anyone have experience with this? Haven't been to the A side since they mangled it with the pre-RNC construction.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Milage Plus
Originally Posted by paule123
I just booked my first flight on Spirit (god help me, but it's nonstop to RSW for $89 before UA resumes seasonal service on 12/15...) and they have an option for $10 "Shortcut Security" -- I assume this is some kind of "premier" line at the A checkpoint - anyone have experience with this? Haven't been to the A side since they mangled it with the pre-RNC construction.
I've never heard of that before, but it sounds like they have some sort of priority security screening now. Here is a link on Spirit's website that explains it: https://customersupport.spirit.com/h...tcut-Security- .

Here's some exerpts about it:

What is Shortcut Security™?

Shortcut Security access is available in select airport locations (see below) and gives access to the quickest possible lane to get through the security screening experience. At some airports, these are expedited queuing lanes - not necessarily dedicated screening lanes. Shortcut Security is available for purchase for individual departures.

Is this TSA PreCheck™?

No, Shortcut Security isn’t TSA PreCheck. It gives customers the ability to get to security screening using one of the fastest lines available. Customers who have TSA PreCheck have access to special security lanes/privileges not available with Shortcut Security. Spirit is working on participating in the TSA PreCheck program.

Where is Shortcut Security currently available?

Shortcut Security is currently available in the following airports:

LAX
LGA
CLE
DFW
DTW
MSY
SAN
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Fewer and fewer mainline on CLE-IAH, summer mostly RJs

In the schedule changes made over the past few weekends, more and more mainline for CLE-IAH has changed to RJ for next year. Not only that, but even the CRJ700 has now been changed to RJ.

Looking to book my summer travel that usually takes me CLE-IAH-Europe, now most weeks have RJ exclusively on CLE-IAH, with no first class, not even CRJ700
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by gusd
In the schedule changes made over the past few weekends, more and more mainline for CLE-IAH has changed to RJ for next year. Not only that, but even the CRJ700 has now been changed to RJ.

Looking to book my summer travel that usually takes me CLE-IAH-Europe, now most weeks have RJ exclusively on CLE-IAH, with no first class, not even CRJ700
IAH is my favorite hub to connect in and it's been getting harder and harder (I refuse to put myself on a 145 for that long of a flight) -- but I don't think it's a CLE-centric thing, UA has been in a spat with the city of Houston over Love Field's international service + generally reallocating assets to deal with the slump in the oil industry...Plus from Cleveland, as much as I hate O'Hell and begrudgingly connect in Newark outside of Latin America/South America it's hard to make a case that connecting in Houston makes more sense than EWR/DEN/ORD/SFO/IAD...
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:21 pm

I agree with your comment on IAH. I usually take IAH-MUC, and after it has been reduced for December, now it's out completely after January 10 until April
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Milage Plus
When I took my trip to France last summer, I actually connected in BOS and flew Jetblue CLE-BOS and BOS-CLE. It was a breeze actually and I recommend that you look into it.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:18 am

For anyone who is interested, the UA "Global Services" check-in position has been expanded by 2 kiosks and is now labeled as "Polaris / Premier 1K" check-in.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Just raised parking rates a buck to help pay the airport upgrade cost. Do they have a master plan as the 60 year old terminal needs to be totally replaced. Anyone go to FLL airport looked similar to CLE 50 years ago but they have spent much more at FLL total rebuild with 4 seperate terminals. Very modern airport. Same holds true at MIA. The city needs to get out of the airport management business.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I checked schedule for next June and actually it shows 4 of the 5 flights are mainline.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I checked schedule for next June and actually it shows 4 of the 5 flights are mainline.
I was looking January to early May. They probably haven't updated June onwards yet. Or maybe they need the capacity from June onward.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:13 pm

Vacation express returns with very limited flights to Grand Bahama Island, Jamaica and Punta Cana.

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/inde...s_to_cl_1.html
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Took my first flight on Spirit last Friday, CLE-RSW. Pleasantly surprised. My observations:

- plane was decent - a newer A320 - sign on the plane door says "newest fleet" so I guess they are not flying old rust buckets
- I paid $40 for the Big Front Seat - the seat was about the same size/comfort as United domestic first class. Bulkhead row 1 where I sat seemed to be the best. Row 2 and 3 of "first class" looked a bit tight as far as climbing over the person next to you.
- the BFS did look a bit worn though. Cattle class looked like new seats.
- boarding was easier/less stressful than United - Spirit does not seem to have mass quantities of elites or 100 airline credit card holders in line so there was no mob of people clogging the gate like on UA. I paid $10 for group 2 and was approx. 10th person on the plane.
- Flight attendants were very pleasant and great with service - sort of like Southwest with the funny attitude and safety briefing. I ordered the 2 drink discount combo and the FA offered to bring the 2nd drink later when I was ready. Unexpected and a nice touch.
- plenty of overhead bin space since people have to pay for carry ons
- they were not Gestapo at the gate checking the size of people's carry ons with a measuring tape. I think you could stuff a backpack full of stuff and they would not care.
- departed on time/arrived on time
And they give quantity discounts on drinks, LOL. Order 2 or 3 at a time and you get a few bucks off.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
$40 for the Big Front Seat is good- Was that $40 above "general boarding"?

Or $40 above "General Boarding plus a Carry-on?"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.