Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: UA MM
C3 and C5/C7 are all torn up and being reconstructed. AA going there? Chick-Fil-A must be someplace else now, if still around.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
C3 and C5/C7 are all torn up and being reconstructed. AA going there? Chick-Fil-A must be someplace else now, if still around.
AA is finally starting their move. I'll be there tomorrow; I'll try and take some pictures to post here.

That little Chick-Fil-A pop-up was an odd thing; I wonder what motivated that?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by plinth857
That little Chick-Fil-A pop-up was an odd thing; I wonder what motivated that?
The closure of Paninis. They wanted to put some sort of food/beverage concession nearby (along with the pop-up Brew Kettle at C4) until Bar Symon is ready.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:18 pm

Here's a picture from Friday of the construction at A5/A7. Are they only doing three gates over there, or perhaps the construction is being done in stages? I won't be back until late April to see what the progress is...
Attached Images  
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by plinth857
Here's a picture from Friday of the construction at A5/A7. Are they only doing three gates over there, or perhaps the construction is being done in stages? I won't be back until late April to see what the progress is...
Assuming you mean C5/C7.

I'll be there Wednesday and will take some more photos.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Wooglin
Assuming you mean C5/C7.

I'll be there Wednesday and will take some more photos.
Thank you... yes, C5/C7.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:42 pm

Construction has spread- C4, C5, C8, C9 and C11 all cordoned off, and in varying states of demo.

Looks like they're all getting new GA desks, possibly new seating areas (can't tell if they're replacing or just re-arranging today).

The old "blue pyramid" GA stations are being removed, in favor of these shiny things.

Chick-Fil-A popup seems to be gone already, and the Bar Symon construction zone also has a sign up- "Opening April 2017"
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:37 pm

Wow! That's interesting. I wonder how many gates AA will eventually occupy. Remember, a jetway was recently re-attached to C2, although the seating area there is still very small. So it looks like if they also take C3, C4, C5, C7, C8, C9, and C11, that would make 8 gates. C10 and C14 were recently vacated by UA, so I wonder if AA will take those 2 gates as well. Or maybe CLE will retain those as common-use gates for UA, AA or B6 to use as needed?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by guy44134
Wow! That's interesting. I wonder how many gates AA will eventually occupy. Remember, a jetway was recently re-attached to C2, although the seating area there is still very small. So it looks like if they also take C3, C4, C5, C7, C8, C9, and C11, that would make 8 gates. C10 and C14 were recently vacated by UA, so I wonder if AA will take those 2 gates as well. Or maybe CLE will retain those as common-use gates for UA, AA or B6 to use as needed?
I would imagine C10 and C14 will be common use gates if they get used at all. I'm surprised to see C4 getting used! I remember when JetBlue was there instead of C6. I could see C2 being used for their CLE-DCA flight on that god-awful CRJ200; it's still better than the gate it goes to at DCA (the dreaded 35X gate(s)). With the space opening up in concourse A, I would be interested to see if Frontier uses more gate space, or shifts to those closer gates. Either way, Frontier will now have a lot more space in their waiting area without the AA flights over there.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:04 pm

Interesting development I saw this afternoon. A number of old UA ticket counters (minus the kiosks) replaced the unused AA ticket counters right next to the current AA ticket counters on the north end of the ticketing level. One of them still had the UA globe, while another had a CLE sign covering the globe. The area at the south end of the ticketing level from which they were removed, is the temporary TSA screening area right next to AC. Wonder if this was just to get them out of the way to give TSA a bit more space. Wonder what happened to the (nicer) AA counters.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
American has been on the A concourse since the 1960's when it was the North Concourse. They operate mostly regional jets except DFW might have been a good fit for D. They need to build a connector to the main terminal to make it usable. I can't believe they will let it sit forever. A needs to be leveled and rebuilt.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Was at CLE early this morning, went through the precheck B screening area, and then walked the full airport before departing on AA. A couple of thoughts/notes:
  • The B precheck screening area is a depressing area, and the line took about 10 minutes.
  • It is sad to see the C terminal with basically all gates before the UC being torn up - although I like what JetBlue has done with its gates.
  • There was a DL 757 parked at the jetway-less C3.
  • Having rarely walked through the central food court area, I was generally impressed with the operation there.
  • Otherwise, the gate areas definitely feels like it's from the 90s.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by OhioExile
[*]There was a DL 757 parked at the jetway-less C3.
Probably NBA Charter, which today would be the Toronto Raptors @ Cavs.

I know most of the US teams use DL 757s, not sure if Toronto Raptors still fly AC.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:30 am

Update on AA's move to C. It looks like they should be there by May 15, and they're only taking 5 gates (C3, 5, 7, 9, 11). Ticket counter and baggage area will remain at the north end of the terminal for the time being.

Also, security checkpoints will be renamed South, Central and North by the end of April to avoid passenger confusion between concourse names/gates and the TSA checkpoints. Anyone else see the new checkpoint wait time monitors? They should help with directing passengers to the fastest available checkpoint.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
The checkpoint wait time monitor seems kinda useless to me at this point. Checkpoint B is TSA only so general pax can't use it, and A is so narrow with only 1 scanner. Are they ever going to open up the A checkpoint space to what it used to be? That used to be my secret weapon before all the budget airlines moved into A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.