Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Is DTW's L.C. Smith Terminal going to stand forever?

Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

If I remember correctly, the L.C. Smith Terminal was closed in September, 2008 when the airlines using it (AA, WN, UA, US, Spirit and maybe a few more) moved to the new North Terminal. Now it's 2015 and the terminal remains, the jetways are still attached and there's even ramp equipment still parked there. Does Wayne County (or whomever owns the airport) have any plans to demolish it?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Headline from yesterday's Detroit Free Press:

"Wayne County Crisis - Cash Might Run Out by May 2016, (Warren) Evans says".

The airport authority still has their offices in that building, and with their current financial situation I doubt they will spend the money to demolish the building and build new offices in the near future.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rubesl
Headline from yesterday's Detroit Free Press:

"Wayne County Crisis - Cash Might Run Out by May 2016, (Warren) Evans says".

The airport authority still has their offices in that building, and with their current financial situation I doubt they will spend the money to demolish the building and build new offices in the near future.
Makes sense I guess, it sure is an eyesore though. Maybe taking all the jetways to the scrap yard could help their financial problems?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
I think there are other airport services/service providers who do utilize the terminal buildings, at least I always notice vehicles/equipment there when we taxi nearby to either the north terminal or the mcnamara terminal.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I miss the convenience of Smith (and soon PHX T2). The North terminal is one giant PITA with convoluted and sadistic pedestrian routings from gates to baggage claim to Big Blue.
Old May 16, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Convenience? All I remember are lots of moving sidewalks, too narrow hallways, and dumpy boarding areas....and all of the above were far too crowded with too many people! (Except when I was a little kid 45+ years ago and totally awed by the then open observation deck.)
Old May 17, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Convenience? All I remember are lots of moving sidewalks, too narrow hallways, and dumpy boarding areas....and all of the above were far too crowded with too many people! (Except when I was a little kid 45+ years ago and totally awed by the then open observation deck.)
Sounds like the Davey Terminal which was a true hellhole, complete with rain-thru ceilings and a unique species of rodent at each gate. Not to mention the world-famous C Concourse marathon.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:47 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Here is to hoping Detroit gets back up and attracts more airlines. Maybe in 20 years we'll see the terminal refreshed and filled with more AA/UA and Asian carriers. One can hope, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.