Search

You can pay Cook County Property Tax with CC: 2.13% fee; $3.95 flat for debit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
You can pay Cook County Property Tax with CC: 2.13% fee; $3.95 flat for debit

I always pay by check on the due date, but cannot find my slip to take to the bank. Looked at the Cook County Treasurer's website and see that you can pay with a debit card for $3.95 or a credit card for 2.13%. Never saw that before. Or direct withdrawal from checking account for $1.00.

Pretty convenient if trying to meet a minimum spend or if you value the points that much. I am trying to get to a WN Companion Pass this month and the small extra cost over the value of the WN points (1.67%) is worth it to me.

Plus an extra month+ of float.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
I think CC payment has been an option (for at least a couple of years if I remember correctly); but, that does seem like a better deal than I remember (I recall considering paying my taxes with my SPG Amex in a past, post-mint but pre-BB, year). ^
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:27 pm

Toomanybooks: Please tell me how you paid your taxes online with a credit card. I can't find that option anywhere! Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:32 pm
glg

Originally Posted by nurseinchgo
Toomanybooks: Please tell me how you paid your taxes online with a credit card. I can't find that option anywhere! Thanks!
Go on cookcountytreasurer.com, click Payment Status/Pay online. Enter your PIN, scroll down, Click Here to Pay, on next screen, scroll down to CC
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:06 am

Was the debit card option for $3.95 removed this year? I tried to pay with my Delta Debit Card but the expected fee came up as the 2.13%. I didn't see an option to force it to use the card as debit for a lower fee. Am I missing something or is it now 2.13% for credit and debit?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Why not use a BB check? I'm writing mine now.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:24 pm

Pay Cook County taxes with credit card

Has anyone done this yet? If so, what is the name of the 3rd party biller that came up on your statement? Was the charge a purchase or was it called a cash advance?
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by bbcc
Has anyone done this yet? If so, what is the name of the 3rd party biller that came up on your statement? Was the charge a purchase or was it called a cash advance?
Thanks in advance
I've done it in past years with an AGC, which means it was almost certainly NOT a CA for Amex. I have not seen reports of it being a CA by anyone else.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:56 pm

Has anyone used plastiq to pay Cook County property taxes?

With the 2.0% fee (lower than the 2.10% now offered by the treasurer) on Amex through 2/28, I'm considering it. But, since the check won't be sent with the stub, I'm questioning the correct application of my payment.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Has anyone used plastiq to pay Cook County property taxes?

With the 2.0% fee (lower than the 2.10% now offered by the treasurer) on Amex through 2/28, I'm considering it. But, since the check won't be sent with the stub, I'm questioning the correct application of my payment.
I keep hearing bad things about Plastiq.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I keep hearing bad things about Plastiq.
I haven't had any bad experiences (yet). But, I wasn't going to risk it on this payment for such a thin margin. I signed-up for the Blue for Business and simply went through the treasurer's payment system 2.3x MR for a 2.1% fee works well enough for me.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I used to pay my property tax (in San Francisco) with CC and pay the 2.2% fee and collect miles but now I've given up and just pay by e-check which has no extra fee. I keep getting more miles and I just rarely actually use the miles.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
It looks like the fee is still 2.1% for Cook County. Anyone know of another option? The only thing I can think of is bringing money orders to Chase.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:45 pm

I paid part of my taxes with my AMEX card & in addition to earning points, the AMEX offers also process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.