Chess Records / Willie Dixon's Blues Heaven Foundation Museum

Subscribe
My two nephews were in town today, took them on a southside tour including a small museum I had not been to, a building at 2120 S Michigan Ave that used to house the Chess Recording studio where Blues greats like Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Buddy Guy, & many others recorded.

They show a decent movie of Chicago blues and how/who helped this music evolve.

The docent was very good about answering questions and will tell some good stories.

We certainly enjoyed our 1+ hour visit.

The museum has live blues music every Thurs night this summer.

Plenty of easy parking on the street in this area of Michigan Ave.

BLUES HEAVEN FOUNDATION
2120 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60616
www.bluesheaven.com
T: (312) 808-1286
E: [email protected]

TOUR HOURS:
PLEASE CALL
Admission Price: $10/person donation
Thanks for posting, this, Willie. I doubt I would have ever found out about it otherwise. I spent about three hours there yesterday (Saturday). One of Willie Dixon's grandsons was the docent. He said if anyone in the group stumped him with a question, he could call his Grandma to get the answer from her. BTW, Chuck Berry and The Rolling Stones are just two of the "many others" who recorded at the Chess studios. Parts of the Stones' album "12 x 5" were recorded there, and the LP includes an instrumental titled "2120 South Michigan Avenue."

I learned that the summer free concert series can be very worthwhile. The had an extra-special show in June connected with the Centennial of Willie Dixon's birth. They are already working on plans for one or more special shows for the 25th anniversary of the foundation (2017).
Quote: Thanks for posting, this, Willie. I doubt I would have ever found out about it otherwise.
Glad to hear you enjoyed!

Did you get a chance to check out a blues or jazz club while you were in town? Hope so.