Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to get around the Midwest?

Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I'm looking for some information on what is the cheapest public transportation to navigate around the midwestern cities. This is what I currently have in mind for an upcoming extension of my current itinerary.

Buffalo - Cleveland, Cleveland - Detroit, Detroit - Chicago, Chicago - Indianapolis, Indianapolis - Cincinnati, Cincinnati - Columbus, and Columbus - Pittsburgh.

I know Amtrak, Megabus, and Greyhound is available for those options. Which is generally cheaper for each of the routes? How should I go about and do this part of the trip?

Any suggestions for accommodations that are located close to public transportation in those respective cities? My budget is $50 or less. I'm not sure if that can get me anything.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:26 am

The cheapest choice depends a lot on when you book. MegaBus has some cheap tickets on every route, but as these go, they become more expensive. Greyhound's prices tend to be more static. It would be really rare for Amtrak to be cheaper, but it is possible its location would be better, depending on the city.
As for accommodation, if you are prepared to be flexible, Priceline will likely work well. Figure out if there is public transit from the drop off point, and then take a careful look at the zones. Also look at betterbidding.com.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm looking for some information on what is the cheapest public transportation to navigate around the midwestern cities. This is what I currently have in mind for an upcoming extension of my current itinerary.

Buffalo - Cleveland, Cleveland - Detroit, Detroit - Chicago, Chicago - Indianapolis, Indianapolis - Cincinnati, Cincinnati - Columbus, and Columbus - Pittsburgh.

I know Amtrak, Megabus, and Greyhound is available for those options. Which is generally cheaper for each of the routes? How should I go about and do this part of the trip?

Any suggestions for accommodations that are located close to public transportation in those respective cities? My budget is $50 or less. I'm not sure if that can get me anything.
Amtrak doesn't even serve Columbus and the times they serve some of the cities you've listed aren't particularly good, unless you like getting off at 2 to 4 AM.

The other thing you need to think about is how are you going to get around once you get to a city

Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago have good rail based mass transit, but the other cities on your list don't.

Also, in Chicago it may be cost effective to stay out near Ohare or Midway and take the el to the loop.

Bob H
Old Jul 8, 2012, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
Amtrak doesn't even serve Columbus and the times they serve some of the cities you've listed aren't particularly good, unless you like getting off at 2 to 4 AM.

The other thing you need to think about is how are you going to get around once you get to a city

Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago have good rail based mass transit, but the other cities on your list don't.

Also, in Chicago it may be cost effective to stay out near Ohare or Midway and take the el to the loop.

Bob H
You're right and that applies for Buffalo to Cleveland. I definitely don't like getting off at 2 AM! I think I'll have to take Greyhound for that particular route.

If I live in downtown/city center, then public transit shouldn't be an issue right?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:41 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
painful, simply painful to think about.

Going between one of the city pairs perhaps two is very admirable using public transportation, the itin you've put out is too much, the quality of the trip will severely be affected by defaulting to public transporation.

If traveling with someone else, is there anyway you guys can pony up for a car rental? Seeing as you'll visit the cities you mentioned in a much quicker/efficient time, a car rental may not be as cost prohibiting as you may think.

I'm all for public transportation but the Midwest is not the region to try an itin like you've mentioned.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
painful, simply painful to think about.

Going between one of the city pairs perhaps two is very admirable using public transportation, the itin you've put out is too much, the quality of the trip will severely be affected by defaulting to public transporation.

If traveling with someone else, is there anyway you guys can pony up for a car rental? Seeing as you'll visit the cities you mentioned in a much quicker/efficient time, a car rental may not be as cost prohibiting as you may think.

I'm all for public transportation but the Midwest is not the region to try an itin like you've mentioned.
No, I'm travelling by myself. I realize that it'll be painful, but it's more economical to take the bus and train. What about using Chicago as a hub and then using Megabus to visit cities in the Midwest?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold

Amtrak will connect you relatively well between Buffalo and Cleveland, and then Detroit and Chicago (from Cleveland to Detroit you have to do one train leg and then change to a bus in Toledo, not the most convenient), but as others have said you may have to contend with arrivals in the middle of the night. If I absolutely had to do this without driving, I suppose I would take Amtrak as far as Chicago and then try Megabus for the remaining legs.

As for accommodations, I'm guessing rooms in hostels could fit your budget. Here's a relatively new one in Detroit that's close to the Megabus stop, and in a somewhat interesting neighborhood: http://www.hosteldetroit.com/index.p...page&Itemid=55

I plugged in some random dates and found rooms between $25 and $30/night. But if you're there, check out Midtown which is more exciting IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.