Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Rick Bayless Restaurants coming to ORD

T1 and T3 - http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...-at-ohare.html
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:58 pm
glg

Originally Posted by bdesmond
I would guess this will be something like Frontera Fresco where Bayless creates the menu, but isn't involved day-to-day
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A step down the slippery slope to Rick becoming another Wolfgang Puck.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I know. I hope that only having two places will give him some opportunity to try and do it right.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:45 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
thought the same thing, I hope not.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
thought the same thing, I hope not.
I'm both excited and concerned: Obviously, I'm excited by the prospect of Bayless food being available in the ORD terminal. The concern comes when and if he goes beyond ORD (and maybe MDW), and starts expanding outside Chicago.

I think that this new venture could be accomplished without watering down his personal involvement (not only actual cooking, but the extended trips to Mexico to see what is in the indigenous restaurants and street markets and to source ingredients).

Growth beyond these limited Chicago-only adventures, however, might indicate that Bayless is heading down that slope on a toboggan
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
Bayless hasn't cooked in his restaurants in a decade or more. He's the front man now, promoting the business franchise (reputation/name) whenever/wherever he can. He works with his test kitchen staff, though, to develop new items for the supermarket shelves and the restaurants. So, his minimal involvement in this ORD operation shouldn't put a crimp in his behavior. His name will be a draw at the airport, but you could put a Chipotle there and you'd get food just as good (maybe better) ... or no less in quality (for a fast food operation). The airports have been featuring Chicago-based food operations for some time now and it makes sense that Bayless was added to the mix.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:16 pm
glg

Originally Posted by gomexico
Bayless hasn't cooked in his restaurants in a decade or more.
If you mean he's not working the line, then of course not, that's not his job. If you mean he's not personally involved with day-to-day operations at Frontera/Topolo/Xoco, you're sorely mistaken.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The concern comes when and if he goes beyond ORD (and maybe MDW), and starts expanding outside Chicago.
Bad news, then: Frontera Fresco is at three Field's, errr Macy*s, including the SF flagship.

Originally Posted by glg
If you mean he's not working the line, then of course not, that's not his job. If you mean he's not personally involved with day-to-day operations at Frontera/Topolo/Xoco, you're sorely mistaken.
I or friends have seen him at Xoco's kitchen at least three times, and he was very hands-on about its construction (according to the architect). Of course he's not weeding or chopping the cilantro, but it's under close supervision. Frontera brand salsas are made in Chicago, although I noticed that Salpica is now made in Texas.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
Bayless shows up at the restaurants for quality checks on the lines - tastings - makes suggestions, etc., works in the test kitchen ... and mostly engages in marketing his brand. He ruined my breakfast at Xoco, because he didn't know how to cook the order ... on the restaurant's opening day. I respect him and what he's accomplished ... but don't go to the restaurants expecting him to have been the cook of your meal, because he doesn't do that, and hasn't for a decade or more. He does walk around and smile, take photos with people, shake hands, etc. That's his job as the front man of his enterprise. Many other famous chefs cook in their restaurants on a regular basis. I buy and use the "Frontera" branded salsas and think they're excellent. Where they're produced isn't particularly important to me. Bayless doesn't run his business enterprises, a Cuban-American does that for him ... a business partner ... and the partner does that very well.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Tortas are now available in Terminal 1.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...#axzz1BY65jMXr
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's some more info on it.

http://chicagoist.com/2011/01/21/tor...co_flavors.php
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Any word on when the T3 location will open?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Had the Cochinita Pibil torta today. Very very good imho.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 4:28 pm

Had breakfast at the T1 restaurant last week, bacon and cheese mollete. It was really good. They seemed kind of disorganized though--ran out of coffee lids, took a long time to order for an airport restaurant (and my flight was about to board).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.