Wiki Posts
Search

Indianapolis?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, American, United
Indianapolis?

So I am going to be in Indianapolis for a few days next month and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for interesting things to do there? I like visiting places off the beaten path, that one wouldn't necessarily find in the airport tourist section. For example, I heard there is a small museum dedicated to Kurt Vonnegut in Indianapolis. Got any ideas?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
The Kurt V. Museum is really neat - I live relatively close, and it's well-maintained and very informative.

We also enjoy the James Whitcomb Riley Home, in Lockerbie. He was a poet who did most of his work in the area, and it's on the natl register of historic neighborhoods.

Walking along the Cultural Trail gives you a really good view of the different parts of downtown - Mass Ave, which is the funky/artsy part, the Canal, and then towards Georgia St. which is the hub for the Super Bowl Village.

What kind of things do you like to do? If you bike, there is a bike hub at CityMarket where you can rent bikes by the hour, day and week. They give tours as well.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Ya - biking sounds kinda fun!

I am really into fitness and being able to stay in shape while I do so much traveling!

Thanks for all the great tips - I'll definitely look into everything.

It is always nice hearing a point of view from a local, as apposed to only online marketing of what I HAVE to do because the company says so!

LOL
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
If you want restaurant recs, I can do that as well. Consider me the IND ambassador I grew up there, moved away, moved back after 8 years, and it's great to see how the city has changed.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:29 pm

I would also love restaurant tips, especially from a local. I'll be near the convention center and probably won't have transportation (although I would bike!)
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:54 am

I definitely reccomend the bike hub for renting bikes. It's located at City Market, which is walking distance from the convention center. It's really affordable, and is run by a local bike shop. They have road, commuter, and casual bikes for rent and the guys who work there are really helpful.

Ok - some restaurants. I'll stay mostly within downtown, but there are a few worth travelling for out to some of the outskirt neighborhoods.

City Market - this is the original farmer's market of the city, and over the past year they have had a huge resurgence of vendors open for lunch and dinner. The Tomlinson Tap Room is a bar that serves drafts from IN brewers, as well as some local small plates. It's located above the market floor. I also reccomend Papa Roux for Cajun and poboys, Natural Born Juicers for some fresh made concoctions from one of the nicest couples I've ever met - and they take their local sourcing and juice seriously! Fermenti Artisan just opened a permanent space there and will be selling meat and cheese from Goose the Market (and their meat store, the Smoking Goose) - Goose is a destination itself, with a great sandwich board, as well as an enoteca with small plates and wine. Fermenti makes some great breakfast boxes, but the kimchi and saurkraut are amazing - we buy jars at the co-op and can't keep them in the house long enough.

On Mass Ave (which is my favorite part of the city) there is Bazbeaux, a local pizza joint that serves up great salads with homemade dressing, as well as great pizza. Black Market is down at the far east end of Mass Ave and is a communal table style restaurant, but not communal plates (if that makes sense). They serve mostly in-season foods and have a great burger. Chatham Tap is a good bar for sports watching, but the food is way above what is considered bar fare. The gouda and apple melt is one of my favorite items on the menu, as well as the hummus plate. MacNiven's is a scottish bar with some of the best scotch eggs around the city. Keep in mind that it is still legal to smoke in bars in Indy - Chatham is non-smoking, but MacNiven's is not. Also on Mass Ave is the Ball and Biscuit - a speakeasy-type joint serving drinks and small plates. We thought the crowd was a little bit more pretentious than what we're used to in Indy, but then again I can go to Chatham in sweats at 9a to watch soccer and no one bats an eye.

Fountain Square is a neighborhood located southeast of downtown. It's had a resurgence recently, and is home to some great food and bars. Red Lion Grog House has typical pub fare with a large import and domestic beer selection. Siam Square is (what I consider) the best Thai food in the city - beware that Thai hot is scorching. There is also the Shelbi Street Diner which has your typical midwestern fare. I like Fountain Square for the fact that it's one of the smaller, but rich in character neighborhoods in Indy.

Heading north, to the Broad Ripple area, there is Recess, which has a prix fixe menu each night. Cafe Patachou is referred to as a student union for adults, and the atmosphere supports that. Next door is Napolese, which serves up great pizzas, salads, and a goat cheese appetizer that is amazing. BR is where the bar scene is for college and early 20-somethings lies - we typically stick to downtown.

Let me know if I've missed the mark with recs - I can get some more, including the southside where I am partially fond to divey bars and greasy spoons.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: AA, DL, EC
IND places to eat

If you like Mexican food, try Acapulco Joe's on Illinois Street downtown.
It's not fancy, but has great food. I've not found any Mexican place elsewhere that I like as well as Joe's!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Smile change of plans

Well, change of plans. I am now speaking in Austin, Texas next week instead, and then flying out to Asia for a month... But I will keep this thread in mind. All the ideas are so insightful!
Thank you so much. As soon as I DO go, I will make a note and be sure to stop over at as many places as I can.
I do hope this specific thread continues on without me for now!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by sprunger
If you like Mexican food, try Acapulco Joe's on Illinois Street downtown.
It's not fancy, but has great food. I've not found any Mexican place elsewhere that I like as well as Joe's!
Gah - we refer to it as "I could puke O Joe's." Seriously - for good, authentic mexican, head to West Washington St. and try any of the taquerias out there. And skip the West Coast Tacos food truck. Over hyper, fatty meat, and not very good flavor. Also, La Margerita and Revolucion in Fountain Square are great options closer to downtown, and walkable/bikeable via the Cultural Trail.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:03 am

So, quick question before I take off tomorrow--can I expect to easily hail cabs downtown (near the convention center) and on Mass. Ave, in the evening?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:05 am

anyone here a florida gator fan? any place good places to watch gator games? also for wine lovers...any suggestions?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:10 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by htran88
...also for wine lovers...any suggestions?
I haven't been but have heard very good things about The Libertine

A few places that I really like: probably the best Jewish style deli in Indy is Shapiro's

A gastro deli/market called Goose The Market

-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.