Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Chicago to USAF Museum, day trip - am I mad??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago to USAF Museum, day trip - am I mad??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Resurrecting an old thread for another question from the very helpful residents of Dayton.....

On my trip to the NMUSAF in March, I was hoping to see a few of the other sites around the area. I don't think my schedule is going to permit me to get to the HuffmanPrarie field itself, due to the base access times. However, I did wonder about visiting the memorial at the Interpretive Center before going on to the museum. I note that the center itself is open from 8.30 am, but I wondered if the memorial and overlook were accessible out of hours? Google Maps suggests there's no gate across the entrance and that the car park should be accessible outside normal hours.

Can anyone let me know if this is the case or not? I was pondering getting up there around 7.30am then get to the museum around 8.30am to look around the stuff outside before the museum opens (again, assuming the gates are open at that time!).

Any advice and information would be very welcome!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: OnePass Ex-Platinum now dirtinum
Bumpity uppity.
Just wondering if the original poster has done his tour of Wright Pat & what he thought of the whole thing....
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Hi Zippypinhead. Back safely from my Dayton trip via Chicago for a week of work. All went very well and I managed to get on the bus tour to the restricted galleries. (Truth be told, I was there so promptly I was first on the list!)

Other than a astorm delay departing DAyton, all went very smoothly. Weather was wet initially, but bright and sunny later. Traffic was very light and, to answer my own question, the gates at the Wright Memorial opened at 8am, so I could pop in there before I headed to NMUSAF itself. Great museum, huge and well laid out. Fantastic collection of unique aircraft........

Thanks for all the helpful input in arrangeing the trip. If interested, photos are posted here, here, here and here.

THese were uploaded between conference sessions for the benefit of my son back home and are straight form the camera, so are untouched and untweaked. Comments welcome!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: OnePass Ex-Platinum now dirtinum
Looks like you had a fine day out.
I haven't been to the museum in a few years. Looks like they've added some exhibits. I feel a need to visit a customer down that way....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.