Wiki Posts
Search

STL "HELP"!! Hilton Downtown

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 5:35 am
Original Poster

STL "HELP"!! Hilton Downtown

Going to be in for 1 1/2 days.
Going to visit WashU. getting in at 6PM on Sunday and leaving 6AM Tuesday.
Originally had a decent rate at Hyatt but thought I'd try priceline since I saw most folks got the Hyatt (ok, greedy on may part). Well tried yesterday, no go.
Today started out and bid upwards and got Hilton. ICK, hear their a/c isn't very good. So we lose lounge access (one day from hyatt) for saving $40 a day, ok
a tradeoff.

We're a family of 4. What would be the most economical way of getting from STL to Hilton Downtown? Not sure how much luggage but is public transport "doable"? How much (approx) would a taxi be from airport to Hilton?

Any reasonable eating suggestions around the Hilton area? We're tryiing to stay on a budget. Any tips/suggestons would be appreciated.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Metrolink is convenient and pretty inexpensive; however, the hotel will be about 4-5 blocks away from the nearest stations (8th & Pine or Convention Center). Not sure about taxi costs, but it wouldn't be outrageously expensive.

Enjoy visiting my alma mater. I'll be there at the end of this month, and I can't wait to see it again.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Any recommendations on what to do on a 24hr stopover?
DS's school are pushing the Ivies but I'd really like him to seriously consider Wash U.
Should we take a taxi to campus or metro from Hilton in the AM (got full day of tour, info and interview). Think I'll be heading to zoo w/DD (14) who's going to be "college toured" out by the end of this trip. We hope to hit Pappys for late lunch/early dinner on Monday. Seems like everyone recommends it, is it far from campus.
Any hints for St. L/Wash U would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Carolyn
Old Aug 13, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Any recommendations on what to do on a 24hr stopover?
DS's school are pushing the Ivies but I'd really like him to seriously consider Wash U.
Should we take a taxi to campus or metro from Hilton in the AM (got full day of tour, info and interview). Think I'll be heading to zoo w/DD (14) who's going to be "college toured" out by the end of this trip. We hope to hit Pappys for late lunch/early dinner on Monday. Seems like everyone recommends it, is it far from campus.
Any hints for St. L/Wash U would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Carolyn
Do try a "concrete" from Ted Drewes custard, though not sure if you can reasonably get to one with out a car, perhaps not.
Do NOT try IMOs pizza, it's like cardboard with ketchup on it. Really. Funny, the locals love it, but I couldnt stand the stuff as I have eaten real pizza in NYC and Philly and Chicago and Naples.
The zoo is nice. So is Forest Park and the science museum and art museum within the park. I think they're still free.
Oh yes, they have that arch... you can ride up it if you like.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ludocdoc
The zoo is nice. So is Forest Park and the science museum and art museum within the park. I think they're still free.
That was one of the nicer things about going to Wash U. Forest Park is right next door, and there is so much to do in there. Biking, running, golfing, tennis and sledding down Art Hill in the winter. Then you got the Zoo, Art Museum, Science Center, and History Museum--all of which are free. Plus, if he is around in the summers, he and his friends can go to the Muny and watch a show for free (from the last three rows--and it's not a terrible view).
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have time, I would recommend exploring the city via Metrolink (unless you plan on getting your son a car). It will basically be the main form of transportation for him--although Clayton and U-City Loop will be an enjoyable walk.

As for Pappy's, it's kind of between Wash U and downtown (not too far off 40). Not sure that Metrolink is near there, but it probably would be easy to arrange for the taxi to pick you back up after your meal.

As for pizza, ludocdoc is right. The only one worth going to (IMO) is Fortel's.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

which would be the best way to go to Wash U from downtown Hilton?
We're probably not going to get a car since our we're actually only going to be in STL for about 36hrs. Got a 6AM flight so going to make arrangements for a taxi pickup the night before.
As for Alex having a car, he hasn't gotten his liicense (let alone permit) yet. Doesn't have time for drivers ed. I'm bouncing around the thought about renting a car for the day but with all taxes/fees it doesn't really seem to be worth the effort.
Now I'm wondering how bad the "weather" will be.
Thanks for the tips.
Carolyn
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
which would be the best way to go to Wash U from downtown Hilton?
I, personally, am a proponent of public rail transportation, so I would recommend Metrolink. Take the blue line from 8th & Pine and get off at the Skinker station (approx. 13 minute ride). DD and hubby can get off at the Forest Park station and take the Forest Park shuttle bus around the park (runs until September 6); an all-day pass for $7.50 is probably recommended and valid for all public transportation options.

Now when schleping luggage around, a taxi might be a better option to/from the airport.

I was able to score a $20/day (all-in) mid-sized rate through Budget for the weekend I'm there, but I will be doing a lot of driving outside of Metrolink's reach.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
First, take public transit. If not, I'd recommend just getting a car at the airport. It shouldn't be more than $100 for 36 hours. You'll spend $60 on taxis to/from the airport.

If you decide to take Metrolink/Metrobus, there are two stops near the Hilton and two stops near Wash U. A day Metrolink pass will run you $7.50 per person, and is good til midnight the day you buy it. You could do that for the day (and metro to the hotel, then to Wash U).

For Pappy's, you can either take the #99 bus to the #97 bus and a short walk, or walk up Washington Avenue (with lots of restaurants/bars/etc) and then take the #97 bus to near the restaurant.

If you don't want to go all the way there for food (though it is pretty dang awesome), I'd check out Terrace View (at City Garden) or any number of places in the U-City "Loop" near WUStL campus.

Other places you may want to check out while in the city:

City Garden
Forest Park (along with the Art Museum, History Museum, Science Center)
Missouri Botanical Gardens
City Museum
Anheuser Busch Brewery

My wife is in a doctoral program at WUSM - it's a great school both for undergrad and grad school - plus living in St. Louis is reasonable and fun.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:27 am

Goodness gracious rent a car. I cannot believe all this talk of Metrolink. You're going to drop way more coin and time messing around with cabs and Metrolink for your crowd then you will on a two day car rental which is dirt cheap at STL. The bus to Pappy's? Is that a joke? Honestly...

There is endless parking all over the place even at WashU. (my alma mater as well).

With the jumping around you might want to do; Washu, zoo, Ted Drewes, etc. the car is going to suit you much better. Also, you really want to drive your kid around and let them see what that area is all about. Clayton has some amazing neighborhoods with classic houses and mansions that just need to be seen. Drive that kid around Forest Park to at least go by the Art Museum, Muny, Science Center, etc. Drive along Euclid and Maryland in the Central West End for a taste of that.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:33 am
Original Poster

SHould have had a car

DH didn't want to deal with the car.
We made arrangements with car service for STL pickup which worked out great (better than dealing w/taxi -- Royal Car service which was cheaper than the rest) since we had a fair amount of luggage (turned out we were away for almost 2 weeks). Downtown was really quiet on Sunday evening. That night I made arrangements for an early rental pickup/drop off at STL for 6AM flight but then DH discouraged that plan. Took Metro to WashU and spent all morning there (and part of afternoon). Had to wait for Alex's 1PM interview after DH just wanted to leave campus (interview was a "surprise" since he met with a rising sophmore, not a member of staff, alum or rising senior-- felt a bit slighted since we've been getting overwhelmed with mail/contacts from school for over 4 years now). So took a quick look at History Museum (art musuem was supposedly closed). DH didn't want to deal with zoo (which disappointed daughter) and then took cab to Pappy's right before the evening rush. YUM. Got a lb of pulled pork to go for later.
This was the only time we could get to campus before Alex started school. It's a real hassle for him to get time away from school since he's a day student at a boarding school. Was very impressed with WashU (and we are with the potential merit $$). Alex is only a bit skeptical since he wonders why the school seems to be spending tons $$ to advertise/recruit. He's also looking at Ivies and Cali schools (Stanford and Claremont schools) so it's going to be interesting if we have to wait until April 1. Guess we'll be flying out again to get a better "feel" if/when he gets in.
Thanks for the tips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.