Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Old May 4, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by JustaGoodGuy
I see that starting November 1, Delta is upgauging the MKE-LGA route for one flight per day to a 717. This is good news for the route. I think that we all knew that it was coming, but it is nice to see that (for now) they are keeping the 5 flights per day. Hopefully the eventual upgauging on this route will not reduce the daily frequency. My guess is that we will always have one or two RJ's on the route, which is fine, because its nice to have the 5 flights per day.
That's still a long time away from now. They could even possibly narrow it down to only 4 daily flights. If I can take a guess, the last batch of 717's being delivered to Delta are focusing on some flights from LGA to reduce the amount of flights and a lot of other costs. As LGA gets delayed flights a lot due to so many flights with only one runway used at a time. Like narrowing down from 5 flights to only 4 would likely reduce delays.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:42 pm

Certainly possible that Delta could downgrade that 717 flight as the flight gets closer -- Delta is known to adjust capacity a couple of months out. However I think this...as well as a single LGA-BUF flight staring in September...represent the first mainline flights for Delta on their LGA network outside of Florida and New Orleans. So this might well "stick" more than the routine adjustments from CR9 to CR7 to E75 that happen in the LGA system.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:18 pm

Project for improvements at gates D54 & D55 at MKE now out for bid, with work scheduled for 11/2015 completion.

http://county.milwaukee.gov/ImageLib...ements.ADV.pdf
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by mke9499
Project for improvements at gates D54 & D55 at MKE now out for bid, with work scheduled for 11/2015 completion.

http://county.milwaukee.gov/ImageLib...ements.ADV.pdf
Interesting -- thanks for posting! I thought (though I could be mistaken) that only one jetway was going up at D54/D55. I don't think anything is official but it seems likely the combined AA/US will operated from the south hammerhead on D. These are the gates on that hammerhead:

D51 Alaska
D52 current US
D53 vacant
D54 new jetway to be installed by November
D55 new jetway to be installed by November
D56 current US

My assumption was AA would use four jetways...D52, D53, D55 and D56, with D54 striped out of existence. Now, however, it seems there will be five jetways available for AA. I'd love to see them take all five...and it would help since they currently originate 7 aircraft out of 4 gates. A fifth gate would give them the opportunity to add something new like MIA or LAX. One can always hope...
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:14 pm

If D54 and D55 are getting new jetways, whats going to happen with that current ground level area?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by MKEflyer95
If D54 and D55 are getting new jetways, whats going to happen with that current ground level area?
The escalators will be removed that lead down to the ground level and the area will be closed up making more room on the boarding floor.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by kannon99
The escalators will be removed that lead down to the ground level and the area will be closed up making more room on the boarding floor.
I would've suggested to have another restaurant down there to replace something thats currently above D27-D29 to possibly accomodate a couple of more jetways above those three current lower level gates.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Just out of curiosity, anyone know whether AS will have separate ground staff, or will they contract with another airline (most likely AA) to handle?

Also, it looked from a nighttime drive by that the north end of the baggage claim remodel is nearing completion. Just from looks it seems as though the exterior/roadway work is further from completion than the interior.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by MKEflyer95
I would've suggested to have another restaurant down there to replace something thats currently above D27-D29 to possibly accomodate a couple of more jetways above those three current lower level gates.
The hitch is that the "stem" of the D concourse is rather narrow. Back when there were upper-level jetway gates on both sides of the stem (D30/34/36/38 on the north and D33/35/37 on the south) the corridor was often jam-packed during peak times. That's the reason the moving walkways were installed on the lower level, a way to divert some foot traffic out of that stem between the hammerhead and the terminal. Making the south gates ground-level boarding gates helped the stem be far less claustrophobic and congested. Given how the upper level was remodeled (Nonna's is where D37 used to be, some of the other upper-level areas are open atriums to the lower level) it would take a lot of work to put upper-level jetway gates back to the south side of the stem.

Strangely enough the congestion in the stem could be worse now than it had been before with jetways on both sides. That's because in the old YX/F9 days D had a lot of connecting traffic which stayed in the concourse, and only a few gates were in the upper level of the stem.

Looking at the MKE monthly stats for April, here's the number of "screened" (aka local-boarding) passengers for concourse D:

April 2010 D local screened passengers
about 108k YX/F9+WN

April 2011 D local screened passengers
about 106k YX/F9+WN

April 2015 D local screened passengers
about 102k DL+F9+US (today)
about 119k DL+F9+US plus AA (all signs point to AA consolidation on D)
about 145k DL+F9+US+AA plus UA/AC (if United & Air Canada were to move to D)

Local passengers all come through security and go through the stem to get to the hammerhead. When AA consolidates on D (all signs point to that) D will screen more passengers than they did in the peak days. Except for those who take the moving walkway, they all walk through the stem upper level. If they were to ever put upper-level jetways on the south side of the D stem again, they'd probably need to widen the concourse one way or another.

Originally Posted by mizzou65201
Also, it looked from a nighttime drive by that the north end of the baggage claim remodel is nearing completion. Just from looks it seems as though the exterior/roadway work is further from completion than the interior.
I noticed that too -- though the official completion isn't targeted for several weeks it would be nice for them to open up the space and start using all the carousels sooner. Summerfest / July 4 / NML convention time is the big summer push, and having more of that open for passengers would be great. Hopefully they are able to make an early-soft-opening happen -- I think they'd like to.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:15 pm

The fixed D54 and D55 jetways will probably be the new AA gates. But what would happen to C10 and C12? Would Southwest take them and start adding flights and some more needed destinations from MKE? That'll be nice for them.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I always take the moving walkway on lower D. A lot faster and it avoids the slowpokes.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by tvnwz
I always take the moving walkway on lower D. A lot faster and it avoids the slowpokes.
Certainly. For the life of me I can't understand why the airport keeps them running cost/benefit.

OneJet obviously doesn't need them. Keeping the walkways going on D has at the very least been a huge waste of electricity. For years.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
Local passengers all come through security and go through the stem to get to the hammerhead. When AA consolidates on D (all signs point to that) D will screen more passengers than they did in the peak days. Except for those who take the moving walkway, they all walk through the stem upper level. If they were to ever put upper-level jetways on the south side of the D stem again, they'd probably need to widen the concourse one way or another.
Yet they are all going to be walking past the unused gates. During the YX days you had people standing waiting. TSA checkpoint may be an issue or maybe not UA from rumors is eventually moving to C.

I noticed that too -- though the official completion isn't targeted for several weeks it would be nice for them to open up the space and start using all the carousels sooner. Summerfest / July 4 / NML convention time is the big summer push, and having more of that open for passengers would be great. Hopefully they are able to make an early-soft-opening happen -- I think they'd like to.
Drive opens in about a week full opening a couple days later.

Edit- View from above still shows a lot of glass needing to be installed. Weather could delay that. But considering the delays from last year the whole project is ahead of target.

Last edited by traveller001; Jun 21, 2015 at 11:03 pm
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001
Yet they are all going to be walking past the unused gates. During the YX days you had people standing waiting. TSA checkpoint may be an issue or maybe not UA from rumors is eventually moving to C.

Drive opens in about a week full opening a couple days later.
I had a thought that UA was moving to D along with AA. WN would have the gates in C all to theirselves if that was the case. But you could be right on that as D30, D34 and those two other empty gates are not really designed to handle RJ's. In fact most gates at MKE due to YX were designed to fit DC-9's or MD-80's at the time. Another possibility would be is for US and AA will move to those four gates plus one downstairs to handle RJ's and UA do the south hammerhead? UA only brings RJ's to MKE so it would make a little bit of sense to me.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou65201
Just out of curiosity, anyone know whether AS will have separate ground staff, or will they contract with another airline (most likely AA) to handle?

If I was gambling I'd bet on Simplicity doing those flights as F9 is down to once per day. AS counter is right next to F9 far from US/UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.