Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:52 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by mizzou65201
From what I have read, the renovation will only be on the pre-1990 "stem" of Concourse D (i.e. gates D30-D38)...
I wonder if the UA move is permanent or just for the duration of the renovation?
The UA move is permanent according to staff at MKE.

C is a real mess right now and the security is smaller than D. It does look like it will be really nice when completed, though.

Also, USA3000 is back in seasonal service after being gone for the summer.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I flew out of C on AA today, and the renovations are almost compete. The last four gates are still under construction. The hammerhead show in the plans here: doesn't seem as if it's going to be built; at least for now.

I saw and Allegiant Air plane parked at MKE for the first time ever!

Qunizo's has opened on C ^

Check out a neat thread on the on going expansion and renovation of C, D & E here: http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/2638912/
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:32 pm

Connecting C, D and E (beyond security)

I know this is a pipe dream, but wouldn't it be nice for a passenger walkway to be constructed BEYOND security to connect the C, D and E terminals? It could allow for pax flying AA or DL or UA to use the YX and NW lounges, not to mention more vendor choices, etc. It might also make MKE more attractive as a focus city for connecting flights.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:46 pm

Just an update on the C hammerhead - someone on that Airliners.net post states that construction has just begun on the hammerhead today. Apparently they know someone in the airport. Take that for what it's worth.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:52 am

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Originally Posted by tekelberry
Just an update on the C hammerhead - someone on that Airliners.net post states that construction has just begun on the hammerhead today. Apparently they know someone in the airport. Take that for what it's worth.
FWIW, I have found that particular poster's comments and info to be generally accurate and trustworthy. (Not always the norm over at a.net) So it wouldn't surprise me if the hammerhead is indeed underway.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 7:08 am
Original Poster

I'm landing on C later this afternoon, so I'll walk down and see if I can spot anything.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Was on AA flight 5555 arriving in MKE last night around 11pm. As we taxied around C it was quite clear the construction on the hammerhead had begun. An area roughly the shape and size of the proposed addition is fenced off, topped with orange construction lights and a job site trailer is parked out there as well. Inside the concourse the area leading to the last two gates is still blocked off.

I have to say I really like the improvements they have made to C. I can't believe it's the same terminal! The lighting is awesome, and the floor is unique and fun! I hope they can incorporate some of the design in to D and E
Old Mar 10, 2006, 3:41 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I fully agree with you on the improvements to C, but for them to spend millions to improve everything and then put all of the old seating back in (rips, tears and an overall 1970's appearance) makes no sense. Also, still no WIFI in C.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:46 am

Programs: DL, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont
Originally Posted by MKEbound
Shopping: All located in the Main Terminal, presecurity unless noted:
The Renaissance Book Store sells new and used books. This shop has been written up in the USAtoday and other publications as one of the best airport shops in the world. It offers a huge selection of new, used and rare books and magazines. If you want to buy a large stack of books, they can even ship them home for you and thus avoid sales tax (if shipped out of state)
Thank you for the great report on the MKE airport. This should be a sticky.

I don't get to travel out of the MKE airport as often as I would like. GRB is my home airport. MKE holds a warm place in my heart. Every time I do get there, I remember the times as a child I visited my dad who lived near the airport. He took me to the airport to watch the planes. My son now lives near the airport which is why I sometimes fly from MKE.

I also try to have extra time to look at Renaissance Books. They have the best selection. I also enjoy the fact that they have one of the largest used book stores in the US on Plankinton Ave in MKE. It is a huge five story building. If they don't have what you are looking for at the airport, be sure to ask. They probably have it at their downtown store. It was always on of our stops when visiting MKE. One of the first things my daughter called to tell me when she first moved to Milw for college was how close she was to the Renaissance Book Shop.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Speaking of Renaissance Books, while flying out to EWR today I noticed that at long last the renovations to Renaissance Books is complete, the temporary drywall is down and they have a beautiful new facade - mostly clear glass. Also while sitting in the Best Care Club, I can see that the hammerhead expansion of C is in full swing, the concrete is being tore up as I watch.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

The first new gate that is part of the "D" terminal renovations has opened: D24 is now back in service with new carpet, new seating, and new windows. It's nice, clean and bright, but lacks the style or uniqueness that the new renovations to "C" has.

The lower walkway to the hammerhead of "D" is still closed being renovated for the new Skyway gates there.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
The first new gate that is part of the "D" terminal renovations has opened: D24 is now back in service with new carpet, new seating, and new windows. It's nice, clean and bright, but lacks the style or uniqueness that the new renovations to "C" has.

The lower walkway to the hammerhead of "D" is still closed being renovated for the new Skyway gates there.
Is D24 the gate formerly known as D30?

EDIT: Looking at the latest MKE terminal map, 24 is planned to be one of the hammerhead gates on C. I'm guessing you meant to say D34, so I'll be quiet now =)
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:41 am
Original Poster

I could have been 34. I'm back on YX next week and I'll check.
Old May 8, 2006, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

It was D34 that opened; Good catch mezzou.

Additionally, work as begun on the E concourse (NW, CO & Airtran). No gates are closed, but temp drywall is up and some of the bathrooms are blocked.
Old May 9, 2006, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond
It was D34 that opened; Good catch mezzou.

Additionally, work as begun on the E concourse (NW, CO & Airtran). No gates are closed, but temp drywall is up and some of the bathrooms are blocked.
The renovation/consolidation of the E restrooms are long overdue. I can honestly say that the condition of the restrooms in 'E' was a significant contributing factor in my decision to re-up my WC membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.