Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to the newly restored French Lick properties?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

I plan to stay for two nights at the French Lick Resort while traveling with husband and two children. Just hoping to get a recommendation from someone other than the hotel's reservations agnet that this is a great place. There is also a water park type resort in the vicinity for about the same price.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
I've not stayed there, so have not seen the rooms. I live in Louisville Ky and we took a drive up there in the spring to tour the grounds. The grounds are very pretty, and they have a nice pool, so for 2 days I think the kids would be okay. If for any longer, I think they may get bored. It is in the middle of nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE.

If you are refering to the Great Wolf Lodge as the waterpark, it is a great place to take the kids. They may enjoy it more, but, as for adults, that's another thing.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Do you think it would be pretty at the end of this month? I know (hope) the weather is nicer so far south of us (Chicago area). I believe the water park is called Big Adventure or something like that. I hope we won't pass it on our way from Louisville to French Lick or I may never hear the end of it about why aren't we staying there! I have promised my son an indoor waterpark and we'll stay at a Holiday Inn in Indy to get his fix earlier in the week.

Since you live in Louisville, perhaps you can recommend a HHonors property on the way betw Mammoth Cave and French Lick. Mapquest suggests driving up to Louisville, so I'm hoping we can stay at one after our cave tours and then have a shorter drive to French Lick the next morning. I prefer properties with queen beds or ones that have the King/sofa bed option, if you happen to know this. Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by mary_228
Do you think it would be pretty at the end of this month? I know (hope) the weather is nicer so far south of us (Chicago area). I believe the water park is called Big Adventure or something like that. I hope we won't pass it on our way from Louisville to French Lick or I may never hear the end of it about why aren't we staying there! I have promised my son an indoor waterpark and we'll stay at a Holiday Inn in Indy to get his fix earlier in the week.

Since you live in Louisville, perhaps you can recommend a HHonors property on the way betw Mammoth Cave and French Lick. Mapquest suggests driving up to Louisville, so I'm hoping we can stay at one after our cave tours and then have a shorter drive to French Lick the next morning. I prefer properties with queen beds or ones that have the King/sofa bed option, if you happen to know this. Thanks!
Ahhh, the old weather question. We have had a very cold and snowy winter here so far, but are promised a warm up (near 60) this weekend. Normal temps are usually fairly nice (mid 50's-60's) by the end of March, but can vary widely.

Hilton properties in Louisville are numerous. There is a lovely historic hotel right in downtown. I'm not sure about the configuration of the bedding.

The Seelbach Hilton Louisville, KY Hotel 500 Fourth Street
Louisville, Kentucky, 40202-2518 1-502-585-3200

Hilton Garden Inn near the airport is another nice option, especially with kids, and is right off I65.
2735 Crittenden Drive Louisville, Kentucky, 40209 1-502-637-2424

I am especially fond of the Embassy Suites, which we used as a base before moving here. It has been 5 years since we stayed there, but at that time it was very nice. It is a little out of the way, since it is on the NE side of town and not near I65.
9940 Corporate Campus Drive Louisville, Kentucky, 40223 1-502-426-9191

One more option could be the Hampton Inn & Suites Louisville East
KY1451 Alliant Ave Louisville, Kentucky, 40299 1-502-809-9901
This hotel is only a couple of years old and does have suites available. It too, is a little out of the way, being in the eastern end of town, but is right on I64, so not difficult to get too.

I'm not sure if you are just going to use the room for a quick overnight, or will be checking out the area. If only a quick overnight, I would opt for the HGI Airport. It fills the bill with the kids, and is easy off and on the interstate.

If you want to get even closer to French Lick, there is a Hampton at Corydon, Indiana, right on I64, which is on your route.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Great information. Thanks a lot! On another thread, it was suggested to me to take a drive through this Highlands part of town, near Bardstown/St Matthews roads. Is that anywhere near my route or will I just waste a lot of time?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 4:07 pm

Highlands, Bardstown Rd area, is a very nice area to visit, but I don't think I would go out of my way to visit this area unless you are trying to find something to kill time or want to eat at one of the many local restaurants there. If you are staying near I65 it would be out of the way.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mary_228
I know (hope) the weather is nicer so far south of us (Chicago area).
checkout wunder.com for historical temps...you'll be shocked how far south you'd have to go to find spring at the end of March.

Hint: Marion, Il is only 10 degrees warmer than Chicago this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.