Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

Chicago Winter Weekend with teenager -- need ideas, please

Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

What can a mom and daughter do in Chicago in early February without getting frostbite? Will be based in Bucktown and relying on public transportation.

Thanks
-- any chattering you hear is my teeth in anticipation.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
One of the best times of year to visit any of the museums: Art Inst (free in Feb!), Field Museum of Natural History, Science & Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Planetarium, Contemporary Art, etc. etc.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by haniboo
What can a mom and daughter do in Chicago in early February without getting frostbite? Will be based in Bucktown and relying on public transportation.

Thanks
-- any chattering you hear is my teeth in anticipation.
You should study the indoor downtown pedway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Pedway

I endorse what cliff_rock said, and would add this, since you are from Israel and might be interested:

http://www.spertus.edu/museum/

Also check hottix.org for half-price theater/concert tickets.

Have lunch on the 95th floor (Signature Room) of the Hancock Building for great views if the weather is clear (good luck with that).
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also check out Metromix for special events going on during your stay.

Oh, you can also do the touristy things at Navy Pier, but I probably wouldn't bother.

What sorts of things do you like to do? Knowing your preferences will help with offering advice.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:34 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
Without knowing your interests, the obvious activity for a mom and a daughter is to shop Michigan Ave. This involves some outside walking but, if you get too cold, there are at least 3 indoor shopping malls.

Also on Michigan Ave.: The world class Art Institute of Chicago.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Big Mo
Without knowing your interests, the obvious activity for a mom and a daughter is to shop Michigan Ave. This involves some outside walking but, if you get too cold, there are at least 3 indoor shopping malls.

Also on Michigan Ave.: The world class Art Institute of Chicago.
Art Institute was a nice break to warm up (walked from the Planetarium to the Bean (Cloud Gate) and was a good place to take a break before returning to the vehicle at Adler. Uncle kept mentioning Ferris Bueller's Day Off while in there [Oh, and the price was right ^ <free in feb>]
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:25 pm
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
Originally Posted by beckoa
[Oh, and the price was right ^ <free in feb>]
Free admission at the Art Institute was a real nice surprise for me too.^
Went there yesterday evening and i'm going back later today again. I have to say that the collections, especially of european and modern art are really stellar. Loads of Monet's, as well as other impressionists, and Picassos and all the great names are well represented. The collection really beats many of the large museums in Europe. And that photography is allowed is a nice perk, which is isnt in many museums in europe.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
I also often see teens shopping around Bucktown -- Milwaukee Ave has many vintage stores at various price points, and Damen is well known for boutiques as well. The weather lately hasn't been too bad, either.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jth
<snip>And that photography is allowed is a nice perk, which is isnt in many museums in europe.

Got yelled at twice for using a flash... first time had no clue (no signs & taking pictures of stone carvings... not sure how a flash can damage rock ) second time my uncle did it... with is <gasp> film camera - wasn't sure how to turn it off...
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Head down to Macy's (Marshall Fields) State Street store if your daughter has never been there. It not only is neat to walk around in and shop, but it also gives the young'ins a bit of history on what big city department stores used to be like... before stripmalls and suburban shopping centers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.