Taxis at DTW

Subscribe
I don't know if many members of FT use cabs when they come to DTW, but according to the Detroit Free Press, they may be hard to get and expensive.

See

http://www.freep.com/article/2009100...ab-association

Bob H.
Metro cars
Metro Cars is a good service, and usually the same price as a cab and you get a sedan. Just make sure you get a reservation in advance while the taxis are in short supply...
Quote: Metro Cars is a good service, and usually the same price as a cab and you get a sedan. Just make sure you get a reservation in advance while the taxis are in short supply...
Good riddance. My last cab to was $58 for a 25 minute ride - exactly the same as a black car would have cost and totally outrageous.
Quote: Good riddance. My last cab to was $58 for a 25 minute ride - exactly the same as a black car would have cost and totally outrageous.
My last cab ride (~2 years ago) was in a snow storm and over 1.5 hour (~40 miles) to Pontiac, and it cost me ~$75. I don't think the price is much difference today.

The impression I have is that they don't run a meter, so its fixed price based on the region. Perhaps your destination was at the near end of an expensive region...
Cab fare out of DTW is highway robbery. There is only one company assigned to the airport, and they definitely take advantage of their monopoly.

A ride to Dearborn, only 10-15 minutes away, is over $30. Thanks, but no thanks.

Sometimes I get to the airport by booking cheap one-way car rental reservations (TO DTW from the suburbs, not the other way around).

Not only do I save money and earn miles, I also feel good knowing I am not supporting the cab company at DTW.
This topic has nothing to do with Delta Air Lines or the SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.

The new home for this thread is the Midwest forum, which is the closest pertinent forum I can find for this topic.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta forum
"Regular" taxi service is scheduled to resume in Jan 2010, at least from the signs posted in the terminal. Though from previous experience with the airport authority, don't look for any change in rates. Funny thing is, the past few months I have been getting faxed with a request to submit a bid for taxi service at DTW. Guess my fax number must be close to one for a local cab service.
Seems like Detroit doesn't have any Supershuttle type service in the area.

What is Metro Cabs; as they are mentioned on the DTW airport website.
Quote: Seems like Detroit doesn't have any Supershuttle type service in the area.

What is Metro Cabs; as they are mentioned on the DTW airport website.
It's Metro Cars. Reasonably priced Limo service serving DTW and greater Detroit.

http://www.metrocars.com/michigan/

Used them once to go from DTW all the way up to near Troy. Can't remember the exact price, but it was reasonable.

IIRC, they will quote you the rate over the phone when you reserve the car.

---Matt

ETA: As I rode in this morning on the rental shuttle, I saw Metro Cabs for the first time. Appears they are run by the same company as Metro Cars. They have a desk in the Delta Terminal near the bottom of the escalator that takes you down to the rental shuttles over in the garage.