Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AirTran promo with Midwest Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by iahphx
While holding hands and singing kumbayah is nice, it's obvious that competitive circumstances have changed and Frontier and Airtran can no longer be partners. So be it.
I agree this hole frenemies thing is getting a little old. Both airlines need partners. Jetblue has done some great things with South African Airlines and AirLengus.

I would like to see Airtran get deals with: British Airways, Emirates, United or Lufthansa

Frontier: AirFrance, US Airways, Royal Jordanian
Old May 14, 2010, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
That was pretty much a given.

I was told at the brand unveiling that Republic is actively pursuing a relationship with one of the big alliances. If that doesn't happen, a partnership with one or more international carriers will likely materialize. Bedford himself recently said that Frontier customers will have access to a global route network later this year.

Republic will kick AirTran to the curb soon enough. The real question is why this hasn't happened already?
I understand it was pretty much a given that the relationship would end, but the fact remains that it has not happened yet, so there must at least still be some value to them. Otherwise, they would have cancelled it already. I suppose they'll just keep the partnership until something better comes along.
Old May 14, 2010, 2:48 pm

Nothing underhanded, just savvy marketing. A good way to give Midwest travelers a chance to try AirTran, they may like it. The charity is the real winner. Kudos to Kevin Healy and the marketing team at AirTran.

Okay Jim Reichert, now it's your turn to respond.

Midwest passengers might just enjoy that 2x2 seating in Business Class which has disappeared and been renamed STRETCH.

Five more inches of legroom is a pretty poor substitute.

Last edited by RSVP; May 14, 2010 at 3:06 pm
Old May 14, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
What???

Originally Posted by Tim34
Both airlines need partners.

I would like to see Airtran get deals with: British Airways, Emirates, United or Lufthansa

Frontier: AirFrance, US Airways, Royal Jordanian
Air France and US Airways?

I'd much rather see Frontier strike an alliance with the carriers you mention for AirTran. However, with United as the main competitor in Denver, I doubt United or Lufthansa will work.

So, count me in the camp of being thrilled if Frontier could pull a hook-up with the One World alliance.
Old May 14, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
OneWorld looks to be a great option with plenty of codeshare flight opportunities from DEN. It is a little different from MKE though as MKE has almost no international flight connection opportunities without going through a spoke city.
Old May 14, 2010, 4:41 pm

oneworld has ALL the AA flights out of ORD. 95%+ of the international travelers that I know in Milwaukee WILL want to drive to ORD for their International flight and not connect. There is just too much risk and incovenience in missing a once-a-day International connection.

A oneworld tie in with AA helps cement the F9 pax who also do International trips.
Old May 15, 2010, 6:04 am

Of COURSE something really interesting like this breaks during a period when I have virtually zero time to comment or spend online.

I think the response should try to thwart the FL plan, should work hard on avoiding hurting the charities, and incent FL members to come F9 way.

(1) Immediate cap of 49,000 miles per calendard year (or six months?) to donations.

(2) Republic should match charitiable donations so if you donate 49,000 miles the charities actually gets more. Something substantial so it doesn't look chintzy and so it doesn't look like capping the mile donation is screwing charities. A one-for-one match would be nice, but maybe excessive? They need to be able to look like they are encouraging donations.

(3) FF members who donate miles above X get automatic status. Maybe Aspire for 30,000 miles and Summit for 49,000 miles.

(4) Status match on F9/YX for A+ elite members.

Maybe more will come to mind later today...
Old May 15, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: N23344
Originally Posted by knope2001
Of COURSE something really interesting like this breaks during a period when I have virtually zero time to comment or spend online.

I think the response should try to thwart the FL plan, should work hard on avoiding hurting the charities, and incent FL members to come F9 way.

(1) Immediate cap of 49,000 miles per calendard year (or six months?) to donations.

(2) Republic should match charitiable donations so if you donate 49,000 miles the charities actually gets more. Something substantial so it doesn't look chintzy and so it doesn't look like capping the mile donation is screwing charities. A one-for-one match would be nice, but maybe excessive? They need to be able to look like they are encouraging donations.

(3) FF members who donate miles above X get automatic status. Maybe Aspire for 30,000 miles and Summit for 49,000 miles.

+1, especially with #2. Having the company match will allow a lot more positive press and help the charities the company already helps.

I haven't looked at the fine print but I would imagine that people who donate their miles and receive free flights would be under the same restrictions as a regular person exchanging their miles for free flights. They can only fly when free seats are available.

I thought there might have been a response yesterday but none came. Maybe their waiting until they announce their new code share partner?
Old May 15, 2010, 9:28 am

[QUOTE=8C4IOW;13962186
I thought there might have been a response yesterday but none came. Maybe their waiting until they announce their new code share partner?[/QUOTE]

If they plan on announcing anything, it should be done next week to take away some of the positive press AirTran is sure to receive. AirTran will probably get all kinds of glowing coverage for holding the annual meeting in Milwaukee, unveiling the Brewer's 717, and the likely announcement of new routes/increased service.
Old May 15, 2010, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001

First of all, I like the AirTran Promotion as I think I am the one that came up with it

1.) The best solution for F9 is for F9 to suck up and understand that they lost this round. Move on to the next round of the fight.

2.) Heavily promote the uses that the charities have from the "FREE Travel from F9/YX".

3.) Offer anyone who wants to dontate 20,000 miles, the extra 30,000 miles. Makes FL pay Two free tickets for a lot more people who are not the key business man target. The 49,000 limit idea would just get FL to lower their offer to 49,000 miles instead of 50,000. What is F9 going to do ... limit it to 47,000.
Old May 16, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: N23344
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
If they plan on announcing anything, it should be done next week to take away some of the positive press AirTran is sure to receive. AirTran will probably get all kinds of glowing coverage for holding the annual meeting in Milwaukee, unveiling the Brewer's 717, and the likely announcement of new routes/increased service.
Good point, I forgot about that meeting.

It will be an interesting week in Milwaukee, thats the feeling I get any way.
Old May 17, 2010, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure no one will be surprised that Frontier tonight announced that they are terminating their frequent flyer agreement with AirTran.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13974236-post1.html
Old May 17, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm sure no one will be surprised that Frontier tonight announced that they are terminating their frequent flyer agreement with AirTran.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13974236-post1.html
I wonder if AirTran's Midwest Miles Promo was the final straw and Frontier decided to end it ASAP?
Old May 17, 2010, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyYX
I wonder if AirTran's Midwest Miles Promo was the final straw and Frontier decided to end it ASAP?
I would think that's a good guess! I mean, this promo is really "in your face."
Old May 17, 2010, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by flyYX
According to his latest letter to employees, Bryan Bedford is not happy at all with AirTran's Midwest Miles promotion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.