Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YX Name to be gone by Fall 2010?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by sideflare75
I'm curious to know what you mean when you say that Republic is cutting corners on maintenance. As a long time YX maintenance employee who now works for Republic, (as are most of the maint folks in MKE), I see no real difference in the two maintenance programs. If anything we do checks more often and before they are actually due on the Republic fleet then YX did. What exactly are you basing this statement on? Because frankly it is kinda insulting to those of us who work 24/7 maintaining the aircraft in all kinds of weather so people will have a safe flight. Do you honestly think that the same people who kept YX aircraft safe and airworthy for 25 years suddenly have changed and don't care about what they do for a living because the name on the paycheck has changed? If you do you couldn't be farther from the truth.
He has none. Statement is strictly propaganda.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
That's the point...Daykin's story was sensational and speculative. There was no news in that article at all.

IMO, Daykin is lazy and sloppy with his reporting. His often does not present stories in a fair and balanced manner. .
I don't see that in his stories, but to each his own. We tend to be too close to the issue many times and when we complain "old news" it may be for us. But, it is not, necessarily, for the general population. I got nothing new from the article. to my next door neighbor it was a revelation. Daykin is writing to him, not us.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by tvnwz
I don't see that in his stories, but to each his own. We tend to be too close to the issue many times and when we complain "old news" it may be for us. But, it is not, necessarily, for the general population. I got nothing new from the article. to my next door neighbor it was a revelation. Daykin is writing to him, not us.
Very true. Perhaps my sweeping statements regarding Daykin's reporting went too far. I readily admit that my views on Daykin are colored primarily due to his artcles on another Milwaukee company that I once worked for.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:01 am

Certainly things can be "old news" to us because we follow things so closely, as opposed to the average reader. However this is a story (Republic may end Midwest name) which JS has reported twice before in recent months. Reporting essentially the same thing again and again...without any substantial new information...may make it seem "new" to casual readers. But that doesn't make it new.

I don't think anything reported as fact was incorrect. But the responsibility and liability (I'm not specifically using that in a legal sense) goes far beyond correct facts.

1. This story was front-page news in the print edition. Not the front page of the business section, but the front page of the entire newspaper. And if I recall correctly, the headline was more salacious than the online version. The story was continued from page 1 onto page 6 or so. On that page was another boldfaced headline (for the continued story) something like “Midwest May Be on Last Wings” accompanied by a graphic of a Midwest plane. The placement and headline choices for the story are not justified by the new content of the article, and seem intended to continue to harm Midwest.

2. The section of the story which contained facts was generally accurate, however lots of people don’t read deeply into stories which are of only passing interest. Headline choice and story placement did damage regardless of how accurate or inaccurate the facts of the story were.

3. The story that the Midwest brand might go away has been reported three times by the Journal Sentinel in the past few months, each time without any real definitive information. The “new” information we got from this conference call was that they have decided not to pick one brand and retire the other. If that had been the headline, or had been the slant of the story, at least it would have been new information. Instead, though they did list the quote which told us that, the headline and the slant did not reflect the new information. This story could (and might as well have been) written 3 months ago, with the new quotes from the Q4 conference call pasted in.

4. The salacious nature of the headline feeds the local news media, including but not limited to the Journal Company’s TV and radio station (WTMJ) who pick up on these sorts of stories and pass them on. Only the depth of print journalism (which at least has some factual material) is missed in the broadcast media, who essentially pass just the headlines on.

5. The final, and perhaps overriding point of responsibility is the decision on what to report as news. I don’t think anything was factually incorrect in the story, but was it a story with enough new information to justify reporting it, and for what reason did they decide to create the story? And how much of the content was opinion, and whose? The Journal Sentinel can’t do much about people only skimming headlines, or that other media feed of their stories, or that things go viral on the web. Their primary responsibility is what they choose to report and how they choose to present it. The Journal Sentinel chose not to report Republic’s order for up to 80 C-series jets, nor did they report on Republic’s earnings, nor did they report on Republic’s financial results for the branded operation. That was news. In contrast, this hand-wringing-Midwest-is-dead story was old news. It was not substantially advanced by any new information. And it was featured and titled in a manner well out of proportion with the “news” aspect of the story.

Obviously that's my personal take on it, but the JS reporting has been an ongoing source of frustration for years when it comes to airlines. I don't think that Daykin so much has it out for Midwest in particular, but rather that he likes to pump up the drama and stir controversy. Certainly he's not the only reporter in the world like this, but he has the misfortune of covering the airline beat in Milwaukee.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:08 am

Cutting corners too close is summarized in this PBS investigation.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../synopsis.html

BB is only experienced in Flying Cheap. He has never had to sell one airline ticket in his experience at Mesaba or Republic. His focus is lowering CASMs and that is only half the story at Midwest and Frontier.

Last edited by n735; Mar 3, 2010 at 10:19 am
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:44 am

"While the Journal-Sentinel article is mildly sensational and speculative, I see nothing in it that is inaccurate."

Most people, including Daykin, seem to think rebranding means renaming. They seem to be having a difficult time accepting that perhaps Bedford isn't going to rename at all.

It is as if Bryan Bedford had said this:

We are going to get to a unified brand.

We need to work in a path of fusing these brands that retains as much customer loyalty as we can.

So we are not going to pick just one brand or the other.

We are going to keep the best of both of what is Frontier and Midwest because both markets are just critical to us and to our long-term success.

We are going to be very deliberate and cautious as to how we unify those brands.

Although we haven't officially decided yet, reading between the lines, it should be obvious to all that We are going to dump both brands.

We will choose a new airline name that none of our Frontier or Midwest customers have ever heard of.

We haven't test marketed any new names; we probably just go with "New Air".

By the way, have you met my son "Junior", or my daughter "Sis"?

We will let our employees know about our new brand and operating plan sometime in March.

At which point we're going to spend more time with our employees.

And make sure that they understand where we are going, and that if they don't like it, they can just go take a hike.

In fact we are counting on it. It saves unemployment benefit costs. We have projected that CASM will be lowered by 1%.

A plan which would quickly engender an agreeable response from Daykin:

"The loss of the Midwest brand name will be of little consequence," said Steve Eichenbaum.

"The brand is dead," Eichenbaum said. "The Midwest brand . . .  isn't going to work for them."

"It's a small degree to drop the name," said Jay Sorensen.

"Frontier is a stronger brand name than Midwest," said Sorensen, "but I think that this management team wants to have more control in creating a new brand."

Eichenbaum said the combined airline might simply be called "Republic", a name that "doesn't mean anything" to Midwest customers.

So, yeah, I guess you could say Daykin's article was accurate, depending on how you read between the lines.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:51 am

"His focus is lowering CASMs and that is only half the story at Midwest and Frontier."

I wonder why he is bothering with STRETCH seating then.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by NoOneOfImportance
"His focus is lowering CASMs and that is only half the story at Midwest and Frontier."

I wonder why he is bothering with STRETCH seating then.

Have you heard about any seats coming out?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
Very true. Perhaps my sweeping statements regarding Daykin's reporting went too far. I readily admit that my views on Daykin are colored primarily due to his artcles on another Milwaukee company that I once worked for.
You are correct about Daykin and the Journal Sentinel. I work for a company that is the largest in Wisconsin in a particular field of industry. Time after time they slam the company I work for because we are a big target. But now that times are tough they applaud the fact we are still around and actually hiring people. Midwest is/was the only airline based in Milwaukee, so they choose to go with the negative more than the positive when reporting. The headlines were negative but when you read further into the story the big word was "may" and not "will" drop the Midwest Brand.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:05 pm

The other wonderful corollary to these repeated "Midwest is dead" stories is that each one prompts another round of letters from bitter former employees, one or more of which the editorial board usually prints. Here's today's:

Possibly the people of Milwaukee were smarter than Republic Airways CEO Bryan Bedford ever gave us credit for (Page 1A, Feb. 27).

After you send every pilot and flight attendant to the unemployment line, not to mention the mechanics and corporate staff who have blatantly been replaced by Indiana-based Republic, we show our disapproval by putting our money elsewhere - by flying Air Tran or Southwest.

The name of an airline and the ridiculous cookie will never erase the negative feelings associated with Republic Airways. Milwaukee's economy is paying the price for Republic's ruthless business practices. Thousands of laid-off Midwest employees are still collecting unemployment compensation, food stamps, heating assistance, Title 19 health care, re-education and re-training funds while Republic's management and unions have made no real attempt to get those laid off back to work.

My advice to the employees of Frontier? Get your affairs in order before this happens to you.

Katherine McHugh
Milwaukee
Katherine and others like her have every right to feel bitter and to hold opinions such as these. But how many letters from angry laid off employees has the Journal Sentinel printed, slamming the former employer? Next to none...except Midwest. Obviously the editorial board holds key responsibility for choosing to continue to print these letters. But with very rare exceptions, the letters to the editor are reserved for commentary about topics the paper has recently chosen to report. If today someone was to write a letter to the editor on the topic of, say, a shortage of police officers in West Bend, they'd never print it. But if they recently ran a story about shortages of police offers in general, or about a crime wave in West Bend, then the very same letter to the editor would have a good shot at printing. By rehashing the same Midwest-is-dead story as news, they refresh the cycle of bitter letters to the editor.

There are thousands of people who feel screwed by their former employer these days, some of whom undoubtedly have as much or more reason to wish vengeance on their former employer than these people. But we pretty much only hear of Midwest in the letters to the editor. Repeatedly.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by knope2001
The other wonderful corollary to these repeated "Midwest is dead" stories is that each one prompts another round of letters from bitter former employees, one or more of which the editorial board usually prints. Here's today's:

Katherine and others like her have every right to feel bitter and to hold opinions such as these. But how many letters from angry laid off employees has the Journal Sentinel printed, slamming the former employer? Next to none...except Midwest. Obviously the editorial board holds key responsibility for choosing to continue to print these letters. But with very rare exceptions, the letters to the editor are reserved for commentary about topics the paper has recently chosen to report. If today someone was to write a letter to the editor on the topic of, say, a shortage of police officers in West Bend, they'd never print it. But if they recently ran a story about shortages of police offers in general, or about a crime wave in West Bend, then the very same letter to the editor would have a good shot at printing. By rehashing the same Midwest-is-dead story as news, they refresh the cycle of bitter letters to the editor.

There are thousands of people who feel screwed by their former employer these days, some of whom undoubtedly have as much or more reason to wish vengeance on their former employer than these people. But we pretty much only hear of Midwest in the letters to the editor. Repeatedly.
The Milwaukee media probably thinks their readers want to hear these type of stories, that's why they go with it instead of Republic ordering new planes. And probably their readers do want it. But what this should show Rev. Bedford is that Midwest is damaged goods, and Republic is seen as the bad guy. That's the general feeling, like it or not. Republic is also seen as the bad guy in Denver, regardless if they may have saved Frontier from being stapled to the bottom of Southwest. So, Republic ought to bury Midwest, and not call it Republic either. Call it Frontier, or call it Cabbages, whatever, just bury the damaged and bad brands, and get on with it. The pain will subside, especially with video and cookies, but everytime a "Midwest operated by Republic" flight rolls, it fans flames of discontent that need to be left behind.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
1. This story was front-page news in the print edition. Not the front page of the business section, but the front page of the entire newspaper. And if I recall correctly, the headline was more salacious than the online version. The story was continued from page 1 onto page 6 or so. On that page was another boldfaced headline (for the continued story) something like “Midwest May Be on Last Wings” accompanied by a graphic of a Midwest plane.
Can you recall Daykin's headline story from 2007?

Midwest's Cookie Crumbling

I think I emailed him after the takeover failed, he replied, "At the time it appeared the takeover would be successful"

IIRC he offered to discuss it by telephone with me.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:30 pm

I see BB handling of the Midwest employees as a bigger story then you do Knope.

How would Harley-Davidson or Miller Brewing employees react if they were outsourced by bring thousands of workers from say New Mexico to Milwaukee and laying-off all the life-long production employees.

Is could be the next step in corporate america... move the cheap labor to the plant verses building a new plant in Mississippi or Mexico.

Midwest is still flying with no attempts by BB to help/honor the original employees that built Midwest. The fact is these were loyal employees, these were hard working employees, these were employee that provided some of the best customer service in the airline industry, these were very easy going Unions that only asked for industry average wages, and add on top of that the worst economy since the Great Depression.

You don't see the story? Why are you surprised it makes the Milwaukee paper?

Last edited by n735; Mar 3, 2010 at 6:35 pm
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by n735
You don't see the story? Why are you surprised it makes the Milwaukee paper?
Of course I see the story, and I wasn't surprised it made the paper. At least the first time. Or even the second time.

How would Harley-Davidson or Miller Brewing employees react if they were outsourced by bring thousands of workers from say New Mexico to Milwaukee and laying-off all the life-long production employees.
Does it make much difference if you lose your job by having it moved out of town, or if instead it stays but other workers perform it?

Even if the answer is yes...it's happened thousnds of times before. It's call outsourcing. And it continues to happen.

Midwest is still flying with no attempts by BB to help/honor the original employees that built Midwest. The fact is these were loyal employees, these were hard working employees, these were employee that provided some of the best customer service in the airline industry
Do you think that the thousands of local people who lost jobs in other industries were any more deserving of being laid off than you? And how about the hundreds and hundreds of remaining employees at the airline who also built the brand. Clearly some former employees would like nothing better than to see Republic go down in (methaphorical) flames. That would put all those hundreds of other loyal, hard-working employees that build Midwest and provided some of the best customer service in the airline industry out on the street. Do they deserve that fate?

The sympathy people deserve for suffering a layoff evaporates pretty quickly when the bitterness keeps growing into the outward desire to see others suffer the same fate. To think that your story is somehow so special that it deserves to be dragged through the press again and again and again is to ignore the fate of countless others who no more deserved to be laid off than you did -- people whose stories don't see the light of day once.

Last edited by knope2001; Mar 4, 2010 at 7:33 am
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:19 pm

Knope, I understand your point of view. Thanks for all the information you posted on Yahoo and FlyerTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.