Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

flying with frozen meat--issues?

Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

a friend always returns to israel with a suitcase full of frozen meat from new york. are there any issues--legal or othersie--that she should think about--besides thawing meat and the mess?
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:57 pm

The following document may be of interest to your friend:

link
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

I am moving this thread from the Religious Travelers forum to the Middle East forum. The question regarding taking meat into Israel does not appear to have anything to do with religious doctrine, at least as the question is posed.

SanDiego1K
Senior Mod
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:52 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
the whole idea of doing this is just simply disgusting... spare a thought for the poor baggage handlers and other ground crew, and the likelihood of mess/smell impacting on other passengers' luggage
Old Dec 13, 2005, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by GK
the whole idea of doing this is just simply disgusting... spare a thought for the poor baggage handlers and other ground crew, and the likelihood of mess/smell impacting on other passengers' luggage
Actually, you may be flaunting your ignorance more than anything. On a recent trip to Cancun, we were faced with the situation ofthere being no food to eat for several days, unless we brought it with us. Otherthan Passover week, there don't appear to be any kosher options in Cancun.(for kosher options in Israel, see the other thread about kosher delis).

Anyway, we needed to secure an import permit in order to bring food into Mexico (insert your "Montezuma's revenge joke here --> [ ] ). We flew from BDL to DFW to Cancun, and with the meat wrapped properly, there was no problem. The hotel had even handledthis situation before.

The point being, that it is not unheard of to fly with frozen meat.
As to things to bring to Israel, I had a nasty incident in 1974 when a bottle of Heinz katsup broke in my suitcase and punctured the bag it was wrapped in.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 5:35 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Thumper
Actually, you may be flaunting your ignorance more than anything. On a recent trip to Cancun, we were faced with the situation ofthere being no food to eat for several days, unless we brought it with us. Otherthan Passover week, there don't appear to be any kosher options in Cancun.(for kosher options in Israel, see the other thread about kosher delis).

Anyway, we needed to secure an import permit in order to bring food into Mexico (insert your "Montezuma's revenge joke here --> [ ] ). We flew from BDL to DFW to Cancun, and with the meat wrapped properly, there was no problem. The hotel had even handledthis situation before.

The point being, that it is not unheard of to fly with frozen meat.
As to things to bring to Israel, I had a nasty incident in 1974 when a bottle of Heinz katsup broke in my suitcase and punctured the bag it was wrapped in.
He's the one that's ignorant? You should stop being cheap and get it FedEx'ed to wherever you need it to, because those shippers use dry-ice to keep the meat frozen, plus they know how to actually pack and ship meat (ie: not in a suitcase).

Although aircraft pits get cold, majority of them are heated. Add a connection where your bag is going to sit around somewhere, and you're just asking for a problem to happen.

If I come across a box or bag soaked in meat juice (which I have), I'm throwing that on the ramp under the sun to dry off for a few days and leaving it for a customer service agent to worry about because I'm not going to put that on a flight. We also have some FOD (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aer...aero_01/s/s01/) cans on the ramp that look under-used, too.

I doubt any other baggage handlers would be as sympathetic, either.

Last edited by cur; Dec 13, 2005 at 5:40 pm
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by cur
He's the one that's ignorant? You should stop being cheap and get it FedEx'ed to wherever you need it to, because those shippers use dry-ice to keep the meat frozen, plus they know how to actually pack and ship meat (ie: not in a suitcase).

Although aircraft pits get cold, majority of them are heated. Add a connection where your bag is going to sit around somewhere, and you're just asking for a problem to happen.

If I come across a box or bag soaked in meat juice (which I have), I'm throwing that on the ramp under the sun to dry off for a few days and leaving it for a customer service agent to worry about because I'm not going to put that on a flight. We also have some FOD (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aer...aero_01/s/s01/) cans on the ramp that look under-used, too.

I doubt any other baggage handlers would be as sympathetic, either.

1. It is illegal to ship meat into Mexico.

2. carry on luggage.

Reread the entire thread. You are the only one who mentions "checked luggage"
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:38 am
Original Poster

thanks for the link and the comments.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:04 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
They call me the "MEAT MAN"

Flying with meat - no worries - I do it all the time. I am an expert on this. I fly with Coleman coolers (last delivery included 22 coolers to the Sudan).

I ensure the product is frozen before hand and packed inside a heavy duty cooler (esky). I fly with Turkey, Duck, Pork (Muslim country so I inform the customs personel in advance it contains pork), other prok products, Sirloins and Seafood.

I pay $120 per cooler to ship from Canada to the Sudan. This covers about 60 lbs of meat or about $2 per pound for shipping. This is an incredible $$$ saver when you consider the price differences between this type of produce in North America and Africa (Quality is much better too).

So anyone for thanksgiving Turkey in the Sudan or delicious duck!

I just wished I got frequent flyer miles for excess luggage.

P.S. many businesses ship like this. In fact I met a fisherman flying from Palau to Guam with his coolers full of fresh seafood - he would arrive just in time for the morning Fish market. This is how he made a living. Ah - the opportunities flight have given us.

Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:49 am
cur

1. It is illegal to ship meat into Mexico.

2. carry on luggage.

Reread the entire thread. You are the only one who mentions "checked luggage"
1. So why was that brought up in the first place. That's not an important argument anyways.
2. Having frozen meat in carry-on luggage for a flight longer than an hour is just stupid and discourteous.

Checked luggage is a possibility as it is one of three means of transporting a good on an airline (carry, check, cargo), so I brought it up being that the initial post on this thread made no mention of either.

Originally Posted by davistev
Flying with meat - no worries - I do it all the time. I am an expert on this. I fly with Coleman coolers (last delivery included 22 coolers to the Sudan).

I ensure the product is frozen before hand and packed inside a heavy duty cooler (esky). I fly with Turkey, Duck, Pork (Muslim country so I inform the customs personel in advance it contains pork), other prok products, Sirloins and Seafood.

I pay $120 per cooler to ship from Canada to the Sudan. This covers about 60 lbs of meat or about $2 per pound for shipping. This is an incredible $$$ saver when you consider the price differences between this type of produce in North America and Africa (Quality is much better too).

So anyone for thanksgiving Turkey in the Sudan or delicious duck!

I just wished I got frequent flyer miles for excess luggage.

P.S. many businesses ship like this. In fact I met a fisherman flying from Palau to Guam with his coolers full of fresh seafood - he would arrive just in time for the morning Fish market. This is how he made a living. Ah - the opportunities flight have given us.

Cheers.
This is how you do it, not in carry-on luggage or regular roller-board luggage ^.

Last edited by cur; Dec 14, 2005 at 8:51 am
Old Dec 14, 2005, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by cur
1. So why was that brought up in the first place. That's not an important argument anyways.
2. Having frozen meat in carry-on luggage for a flight longer than an hour is just stupid and discourteous.

Checked luggage is a possibility as it is one of three means of transporting a good on an airline (carry, check, cargo), so I brought it up being that the initial post on this thread made no mention of either.

This is how you do it, not in carry-on luggage or regular roller-board luggage ^.
Wow, rebuke from the baggage boy.

1. Following the law is more important than the whims of the baggage boy for those of us who travel for a living.

2. As to being stupid, interesting definition, since you disagree with it, it is stupid.

Again, in the instance I referenced, shipping was not an option.

Lastly, I realize in your "handle" you say you are disgruntled, but for those of us who have participated in FT for many years, posting isn't always a contact sport.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is such name-calling really needed?

This thread seems better suited to Travelbuzz than the Middle East forum and it's interesting to learn how people transport meat -- whether they should or not.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have hauled quite a bit of meat from IAD-BWI to BVI(a place, not an airport) for charter sailing trips. Use a coleman type cooler and about 5-10 lbs of dry ice in single block for 40 lbs of meat. tape the cooler shut. lots of tape. The dry ice keeps the meat frozen for about 4-5 days.

Have also flown game from Texas to DC the same way.

Anyone want a source for dry ice in the BWI-IAD area send me a message.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by slawecki
I have hauled quite a bit of meat from IAD-BWI to BVI(a place, not an airport) for charter sailing trips. Use a coleman type cooler and about 5-10 lbs of dry ice in single block for 40 lbs of meat. tape the cooler shut. lots of tape. The dry ice keeps the meat frozen for about 4-5 days.

Have also flown game from Texas to DC the same way.

Anyone want a source for dry ice in the BWI-IAD area send me a message.
Do you put the meat in some kind of sealable plastic too?
Old Dec 15, 2005, 8:45 pm
cur

1. Following the law is more important than the whims of the baggage boy for those of us who travel for a living.

2. As to being stupid, interesting definition, since you disagree with it, it is stupid.

Again, in the instance I referenced, shipping was not an option.

Lastly, I realize in your "handle" you say you are disgruntled, but for those of us who have participated in FT for many years, posting isn't always a contact sport.
Nice, name-calling! FYI, I'm an IT consultant with a Bsc. in Computer Science that works out of home. I landed a PT job at AC so I can get cheap shipping with FedEx and free flights with AC.
1. I never said that you should import agricultural products into a place that doesn't allow it. I said that saying 'it's illegal to ship meat into Mexico' is an abusurd and irrelevant argument. Sort of like going into a presidental debate about corruption and saying "FREE TIBET!!!"
2. Have you've ever smelled what a meat-packing plant town smells like? Ever smelled what spoiling-meat smells like? It's bad enough in a kitchen, try putting that into a confined space like an aircraft for 2+ hours. I mean, shipping isn't an option (common courtesy DOES cost a lot of money), so you likely will find out pretty soon.

posting isn't always a contact sport.
hypocrite - hi-poh-krita: person who puts on a false appearance of virtue.

I'm not going to post on this anymore; Thumper is just too fastidious for me because I'm the baggage boy and he travels for a living.

Last edited by cur; Dec 15, 2005 at 8:47 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.