Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which US Passport should I enter Israel with?

Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

I was issued another US passport because of all the traveling I do. I have an upcoming trip to Tel Aviv next week. I have been there on Passport 1 (I got the yellow sticker on the back, but no stamps). Passport 1 however has travel to other Middle Eastern and South Asian countries. Last time I went, I was held for almost 4 hours.

Passport 2 is virtually untouched, except for one or two European stamps.

Which would be best?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

This is a destination specific question, so I'll move it to the Middle East forum, where such issues are commonly discussed.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by greycap7
Passport 1 however has travel to other Middle Eastern and South Asian countries. Last time I went, I was held for almost 4 hours.
Passport 2 is virtually untouched, except for one or two European stamps.
I believe you have answered yourself.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
I believe you have answered yourself.
That's what I figured as well. But since I have already entered previously on Passport 1 - I thought maybe there would be some type of sense to use it again.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:05 pm

Just be aware that using a different passport doesn't mean they won't know who you are, the combination of name + birth date + birth place are rather unique, and remember they have scanned your photo as well
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Just be aware that using a different passport doesn't mean they won't know who you are, the combination of name + birth date + birth place are rather unique, and remember they have scanned your photo as well
Fair enough. Thank you!!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:50 am
Suspended

Very true, however it also depends on if PP2 was issued after PP1, if it was then Id use PP2. However when the res was made which PP was used is also key, if PP1 then it depends if the info was already sent over to Israel or checked with them, if it was and you switch the info on the res that alone can result in way more then a 4 hr screening, or if PP1 info was in putted on the res and you hand them PP2 look out charlie! 4 days will be a drop in the bucket

Id say the key is having used PP2 info all along and knowing if PP1 was used when or if they sent the info over or if switching the info if PP1 was used to PP2 will result in a follow up message being sent over.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
Very true, however it also depends on if PP2 was issued after PP1, if it was then Id use PP2. However when the res was made which PP was used is also key, if PP1 then it depends if the info was already sent over to Israel or checked with them, if it was and you switch the info on the res that alone can result in way more then a 4 hr screening, or if PP1 info was in putted on the res and you hand them PP2 look out charlie! 4 days will be a drop in the bucket

Id say the key is having used PP2 info all along and knowing if PP1 was used when or if they sent the info over or if switching the info if PP1 was used to PP2 will result in a follow up message being sent over.
PP2 was issued after PP2. In addition, I traveled to Israel with PP1 where I was subject to a 4hr screening. I made the booking on PP1, but I realize now that I was planning on travelling on PP2.

I ended up cancelling the booking, and I think I will make another one with PP2.

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are any number of reasons for more than one passport, including that PP1 was lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed. None of that matters overseas.

Not sure why one would cancel the ticket and purchase a new one in order to change passport data. That also happens all the time.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
There are any number of reasons for more than one passport, including that PP1 was lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed. None of that matters overseas.

Not sure why one would cancel the ticket and purchase a new one in order to change passport data. That also happens all the time.
I would have CX the tkt and rebooked as well, simply due to not knowing if the carrier will forward to the Israelis that I changed my PP info when the PP 1st used was still valid for travel. Sure there can be dozens of valid reasons for getting rid of a perfectly valid PP and get a new one. But if I had gone thru a 4 hr security ordeal I wouldnt chance that by changing everything I just ended up causing myself to go thru it again

that said as someone mentioned up thread its very possible all their info will trigger them anyways even with a new PP, but if I can try and stack the odds in my favor to avoid going thru it by getting a new PP and using it on my res w/o ever inputting PP1s info, I most surely will do so, nothing to lose.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:50 pm

that said as someone mentioned up thread its very possible all their info will trigger them anyways even with a new PP, but if I can try and stack the odds in my favor to avoid going thru it by getting a new PP and using it on my res w/o ever inputting PP1s info, I most surely will do so, nothing to lose.
No doubt, OP should still be ready to answer the question about whether or not he has another passport, and be ready for the possibility of yet another long questioning.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:07 pm
Suspended

No doubt, OP should still be ready to answer the question about whether or not he has another passport, and be ready for the possibility of yet another long questioning.
and if asked answer 100% honestly OP by saying Yes, otherwise you will wish they only questioned you for 4 hours. And after they are finally done you might just find yourself on the next flight back w/o having been admitted and that will probably KO any future entry as well

The worst thing a person can do is lie unless they know 100% exactly what the questioner knows

exception would be if PP1 is offically cancelled then its void, so if asked do you have another PP the truth is 'no'. If asked did you have a different PP before answer s/b 'yes'.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:04 pm

Agreed. Whichever passport you decide to use - DON'T LIE !! And don't arrive so nervous that your body language alone makes you look suspicious. Relax.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

I actually cancelled because I realized it was Eid-ul-Adha this weekend, and it's probably not the best time to go.

I would have CX the tkt and rebooked as well, simply due to not knowing if the carrier will forward to the Israelis that I changed my PP info when the PP 1st used was still valid for travel. Sure there can be dozens of valid reasons for getting rid of a perfectly valid PP and get a new one. But if I had gone thru a 4 hr security ordeal I wouldnt chance that by changing everything I just ended up causing myself to go thru it again

That's what I'm thinking as well. I'm mentally prepared for the 4+hr grilling. I have a friend and she was grilled for 7 hours once.

I've been advised many many times by the State Department not to carry both PP. Would this be a good time not to heed their advice and take both?

and if asked answer 100% honestly OP by saying Yes, otherwise you will wish they only questioned you for 4 hours. And after they are finally done you might just find yourself on the next flight back w/o having been admitted and that will probably KO any future entry as well

The worst thing a person can do is lie unless they know 100% exactly what the questioner knows

exception would be if PP1 is offically cancelled then its void, so if asked do you have another PP the truth is 'no'. If asked did you have a different PP before answer s/b 'yes'.
I know... It was kinda rough last time, because they asked me an incredible amount of questions where I almost felt like I was guilty of doing something even though I hadn't done a thing.

Originally Posted by mbgg
Agreed. Whichever passport you decide to use - DON'T LIE !! And don't arrive so nervous that your body language alone makes you look suspicious. Relax.
That's easier said than done lol!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:19 am

I've been advised many many times by the State Department not to carry both PP. Would this be a good time not to heed their advice and take both?
I don't think anyone here knows the 'right' answer to that, i.e. which scenario will cause you less questioning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.