Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Skype work in Egypt?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Does Skype work in Egypt?

A friend of mine contacted me the other day and said that her Skype stopped working when she arrived.
Any reason that happened? Is it blocked in the entire country?
I'm traveling there soon and most of my work is via Skype so please let me know.
Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:32 am

The Egyptian communication is used to keep people from politics, work and making money. External telephony is carried out exclusively via the Telecom Egypt (TE) network. The state is the largest shareholder in Telecom Egypt. It thus blocks foreign communication as well as possible. Viber, Kik, IMO, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and line are mostly not used for business communication abroad and are available because it does not affect the state: domestic telephony is handled by private providers. Skype audio and video were blocked for mobile networks many years ago, after their share of foreign telephony exceeded 15%. The same applies to all VoIP providers using the SIP protocol. VPN also does not really help: most of the ports usually used for VoIP have been closed successfully by Egyptian Telecom.

Usually, Skype can still be used in the DSL network. However, today (2017-06-28) even this was impossible for reasons I do not know.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Extremely useful,thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.