Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First timer in Cairo

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

First timer in Cairo

I will be landing in CAI on a BA flight after midnight and intend to go to the Ramses Hilton for the night. Would appreciate comments from those who have fairly recent experience of Cairo:

What is the least expensive way of getting to my hotel without endangering myself in any way?

If this involves Uber/Careem, can I buy a SIM card and activate it instantly at T2?
Old May 20, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by puchong
I will be landing in CAI on a BA flight after midnight and intend to go to the Ramses Hilton for the night. Would appreciate comments from those who have fairly recent experience of Cairo:

What is the least expensive way of getting to my hotel without endangering myself in any way?

If this involves Uber/Careem, can I buy a SIM card and activate it instantly at T2?
I believe T2 should have wifi, but there again .....

As for the SIM idea; I'm often defeated by technology - but wouldn't you need to set up Careem/Uber all over again on the new number? That might be a faff too far.

You can book Careem in advance (from UK).

If that doesn't work, and you don't want to go outside to negotiate a taxi you could make use of the limo desk/agencies (you'll pay a premium)
or use https://cairoshuttlebus.com/book.html

The hotel will be able to send a car, but that might prove expensive.

Just DO NOT go off with any driver who presents himself to you as a limo driver in the arrivals area, however slick and be-suited he may appear. It's not something you'd do at home, and certainly not something you should entertain elsewhere.

BTW, if it's only an over-nighter the Rameses Hilton is bang central Cairo, and quite a hike from the airport. There are airport hotels, and others much closer than the Rameses, in Heliopolis/Nasr City.

Last edited by IAN-UK; May 20, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much IAN-UK for your response. Actually I am spending several days in Cairo and hoping to do a bit of mattress runnng while I am there. Chose the Ramses Hilton mainly due to its (apprently) central location. The only airport hotel where I could get some stay credit appears to be the Le Méridien but it is dearer than the Ramses.

What should be a fair price to pay from the airport to the Ramses? Is trying to bargain with a taxi driver outside the terminal at midnight a somehat foolish venture?

Also, is some other location, e.g. Heliopolis, a better choice for the first night?
Old May 21, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
'Is trying to bargain with a taxi driver outside the terminal at midnight a somehat foolish venture?' Errrrr, YEP!
Old May 22, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Chose the Ramses Hilton mainly due to its (apprently) central location. The only airport hotel where I could get some stay credit appears to be the Le Méridien but it is dearer than the Ramses.

What should be a fair price to pay from the airport to the Ramses? Is trying to bargain with a taxi driver outside the terminal at midnight a somehat foolish venture?

Also, is some other location, e.g. Heliopolis, a better choice for the first night?
If you are going to be staying in the city, you might as well bite the bullet and get there for your first night - the trip will be shorter than in the daytime. And you'll wake up without facing worry about the transfer.

Nothing wrong with the Rameses, except it always seems a little isolated, even in the city centre, surrounded as it is by some pretty scary roads.

There's no danger in haggling with the airport taxi drivers. Just that at that hour, and after a longish journey it might all seem a bit intimidating , and by going outside you might have burned your bridges (I'm really not sure if you can get back into the arrivals area, with its travel desks).

I imagine taxi drivers will be asking 200 or more, but will settle at 150 or less. But it's a journey I haven't made. Careem should be a bit cheaper. Taxi drivers seem to have become "unionised" and it might take time for one to break ranks and offer a fare below the one they have set among themselves.

But at the end of the day, even at 200 we are talking at well less than Ł10.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://londoncabegypt.com/#/home

Book on line, go to the Sixt desk on arrival, LE150 or so.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This is partly genuine concern, and partly paranoia, as I've been focusing on the worst news reports of kidnapping, etc...So don't flame me

But is the road from Cairo International Airport to Giza safe to travel in the early morning hours, from around midnight to 1AM? I've arranged an airport transfer that will shepherd me through immigration and to my hotel, and I travel alone all the time in Europe, Asia, South America, etc., in big cities and small towns, but never been to Egypt.

And, like I said, I've been feeding my anxiety with stories of people taken off the road. There's clearly never nothing to worry about, but just hoping for some reassurance (or validation of my anxiety lol).
Old May 24, 2017, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DMPHL
This is partly genuine concern, and partly paranoia, as I've been focusing on the worst news reports of kidnapping, etc...So don't flame me

But is the road from Cairo International Airport to Giza safe to travel in the early morning hours, from around midnight to 1AM? I've arranged an airport transfer that will shepherd me through immigration and to my hotel, and I travel alone all the time in Europe, Asia, South America, etc., in big cities and small towns, but never been to Egypt.

And, like I said, I've been feeding my anxiety with stories of people taken off the road. There's clearly never nothing to worry about, but just hoping for some reassurance (or validation of my anxiety lol).
Cairo's a 24H city: it seems always to be busy. Though there'll be less traffic around in the early hours, you won't be drifting through deserted unlit streets. There just may be additional security checks on the roads, but that will be driven by the political situation.

Sounds as though you've got yourself a hotel car or similar professional package so you've got nothing to worry about. Just make sure he identifies himself when you meet - there are the occasional chancers who might try to get you into another car service.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Cairo's a 24H city: it seems always to be busy. Though there'll be less traffic around in the early hours, you won't be drifting through deserted unlit streets. There just may be additional security checks on the roads, but that will be driven by the political situation.

Sounds as though you've got yourself a hotel car or similar professional package so you've got nothing to worry about. Just make sure he identifies himself when you meet - there are the occasional chancers who might try to get you into another car service.
Thank you! And yes, I have a driver booked through a reputable travel agent who will meet me with a sign before immigration. Appreciate the insight!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Feedback

Just thought I would give some feedback on services / hotels I tried to use:

Initially looked at the Cairo Shuttle Bus, which wanted EGP 200 for the ride from the airport to the Ramses Hilton

Following FT suggestions, I looked at the London Cab, which wanted EGP 150 for the same trip. Decided to book it, but the credit card would not go through. They claimed I could pay cash to the driver, who would apparently be waiting for me with a sign and my name. Of course they were advised which flight I would be coming on.

I flew BA and they landed on time, but there was no London Cab driver outside Terminal 1. I also did not find any Vodafone or other phone vendor in this terminal and so could not call London Cab.

Ended up bargaining with one of the more decent guys hanging around outside and we settled on EGP 100. His English was minimal and my Arabic was even worse - so we settled into silent mode for the ride. However, he brought me to the Hilton without any issues.

I had to go to the Le Meridien Pyramids next and tried to order a car through Careem, using the hotel wi-fi. Car booked at an indication price of EGP 125, but even though I waited just outside the Hilton gate and the App showed the driver was at the Hilton, no car appeared.

So I was forced to bargain with another local, white cab. Agreed on a price of EGP 40 for the ride from the Hilton to the LeMeridien Pyramids and again got there without any hassle.

Meanwhile, Careem charged me money for what they claimed was my no-show!

Finally, needed to go to the airport and this time I tried just getting a road side cab. The first guy who stopped agreed to take me from Giza to the airport for EGP 100.

So I think I lucked out with the local cabs - albeit I rode in cars without air-conditioning.

Of course my trip was COMPLETELY SCREWED up by the QR ban - and instead of flying First / Business from Cairo, I ended up having to buy a coach ticket on TK because I simply had to get out and use up my pre-booked non refundable hotels in Asia.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Initially looked at the Cairo Shuttle Bus, which wanted EGP 200 for the ride from the airport to the Ramses Hilton

Following FT suggestions, I looked at the London Cab, which wanted EGP 150 for the same trip. Decided to book it, but the credit card would not go through. They claimed I could pay cash to the driver, who would apparently be waiting for me with a sign and my name. Of course they were advised which flight I would be coming on.

...there was no London Cab driver outside Terminal 1.

Ended up bargaining with one of the more decent guys hanging around outside and we settled on EGP 100.

...tried to order a car through Careem, using the hotel wi-fi...no car appeared.
Careem charged me money for what they claimed was my no-show!

Finally, needed to go to the airport and this time I tried just getting a road side cab. The first guy who stopped agreed to take me from Giza to the airport for EGP 100.

Of course my trip was COMPLETELY SCREWED up by the QR ban
I'd never use London Cab - it's an odd organisation, with limited resources aimed squarely at corporate contracts rather than ad hoc bookings. Sure, if it works out then that's fine...

.. and you do realise that the EGP50 saving you were chasing was less than $3?

So far Careem have been OK for me. When somehow a pick-up has been missed, they've reimbursed automatic "cancellation" charges.

I'm heartened by your good fortune with regular taxis. Most are straightforward, but of course the tricky one are always going to be out in force at tourist spots.

Sorry to hear you ran foul of the Qatar problems.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Looking at the Cairo airport website, I came across low prices for a "Shuttle Bus" service, e.g. Downtown for EGP 35.

Has anybody used this service and if so, any comments?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Just thought I would give some feedback on services / hotels I tried to use:

I flew BA and they landed on time, but there was no London Cab driver outside Terminal 1. I also did not find any Vodafone or other phone vendor in this terminal and so could not call London Cab.

Ended up bargaining with one of the more decent guys hanging around outside and we settled on EGP 100. His English was minimal and my Arabic was even worse - so we settled into silent mode for the ride. However, he brought me to the Hilton without any issues.

I had to go to the Le Meridien Pyramids next and tried to order a car through Careem, using the hotel wi-fi. Car booked at an indication price of EGP 125, but even though I waited just outside the Hilton gate and the App showed the driver was at the Hilton, no car appeared.

So I was forced to bargain with another local, white cab. Agreed on a price of EGP 40 for the ride from the Hilton to the LeMeridien Pyramids and again got there without any hassle.

Meanwhile, Careem charged me money for what they claimed was my no-show!

So I think I lucked out with the local cabs - albeit I rode in cars without air-conditioning.

Of course my trip was COMPLETELY SCREWED up by the QR ban - and instead of flying First / Business from Cairo, I ended up having to buy a coach ticket on TK because I simply had to get out and use up my pre-booked non refundable hotels in Asia.
Thanks for reporting back. ^
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:43 am

Looking at the Cairo airport website, I came across low prices for a "Shuttle Bus" service, e.g. Downtown for EGP 35.
You can downtown to Ramses Hotel for EGP 16.25 or EGP 20.41 for Shuttle Transfer Classic. See below link:

https://en.intui.travel/transfer/egy...,cairo_hotels/

You can also have another options for Private Transfer Minivan 1 - 6 passengers and Private Transfer 1-4 passengers.

It is advisable to talk with their customer care before booking anything.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMadeTraveler
You can downtown to Ramses Hotel for EGP 16.25 or EGP 20.41 for Shuttle Transfer Classic. See below link:

https://en.intui.travel/transfer/egy...,cairo_hotels/

You can also have another options for Private Transfer Minivan 1 - 6 passengers and Private Transfer 1-4 passengers.

It is advisable to talk with their customer care before booking anything.

(I think those might be euros, not EGP)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.