Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Turnaround at HBE Alexandria Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP UA Gold QR Platinum Hilton Gold FB Sinbad

Tomorrow I arrive at HBE from DOH on QR at 1735 and would like to go back to DOH on QR leaving at 1855.
Transiting in CAI was such a bother, HBE being smaller (I am told), would I be able to do it without much hassle in the little time the plane is on the ground?
Thanks in advance

PS doing this because I was able to snatch a good HBE-KUL fare.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:57 pm

Would love to know your experience. I have to do the same in June. Please tell me how it went
Old May 28, 2017, 1:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cochinjew
Tomorrow I arrive at HBE from DOH on QR at 1735 and would like to go back to DOH on QR leaving at 1855.
Transiting in CAI was such a bother, HBE being smaller (I am told), would I be able to do it without much hassle in the little time the plane is on the ground?
Thanks in advance

PS doing this because I was able to snatch a good HBE-KUL fare.
Any updates, please? I plan on doing this in August.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP UA Gold QR Platinum Hilton Gold FB Sinbad
HBE is as surrealistic as CAI but less threatening but always the feeling of being doomed, with petty officials making your transit less than pleasant (anxiety). QR staff excellent.
Inform the desk at DOH that you are doing a turnaround.
Let the Cabin Crew inform the ground staff that you are doing a turnaround.
They will assign you a person, who will take you through the Immigration and then to the QR desk to issue boarding pass (you may have your boarding pass issued in Doha as well)
MAKE SURE THAT SOMEONE TAKES YOU BACK TO THE DEPARTURE LOUNGE THROUGH IMMIGRATION AND SECURITY PERSONALLY. I was just pointed out and that is when the surrealistic episode started in the office of the Chief Immigration Officer (a caricature for a developing country). make sure like in CAI, an immigration officer or a QR employee is with you all the way through, until you clear security. HBE is a charming little airport, reminds you of the airports of yore, an open space and much less security conscious.
As someone had mentioned elsewhere, in May I did one CAI turn around and another HBE turnaround and on my DOH JFK flight i had SSSS in Doha, on my boarding pass. No problem entering USA with Global Entry. Enjoyable (especially as you get to use Al Safwa lounge at Doha on the outbound flight), short flights and excellent QR service
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
From what I saw of HBE airport and its staff, I don't think I'd be attempting to do a turnaround. I think there would be too many hassles. I'd rather overnight in a niceish hotel.

And security didn't appear to be particularly lax either.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:42 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Grace B
I'd rather overnight in a niceish hotel.
FYI, Alexandria's at least a 40-45 minute drive away, with not much (besides impromptu fishmongers) in between the city and HBE.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
FYI, Alexandria's at least a 40-45 minute drive away, with not much (besides impromptu fishmongers) in between the city and HBE.
The hotel doesn't have to be in Alexandria. I recently stayed at a nice resort on the coast a 30 minute drive from HBE. And there was a large modern shopping mall, with a huge Carrefour hypermarket, on the way there.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:49 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Grace B
The hotel doesn't have to be in Alexandria. I recently stayed at a nice resort on the coast a 30 minute drive from HBE. And there was a large modern shopping mall, with a huge Carrefour hypermarket, on the way there.
The point is that there's no hotel within walking distance.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
The point is that there's no hotel within walking distance.
Not sure anyone suggested there was or asked if there was. But with taxis the price they are (or the exchange rate the rate it is!), who cares?

but to introduce another non sequitur, for those who know or who have "done" Cairo, your mileage run/cheap ticket gives you a great opportunity to have a look at Alex while lifting the pressure on connections; really worth a one (better two) night stay. Or you can see Egyptians at play in beach resorts very different to the international Sharms and Hurghadas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.