Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai and Sri Lankan Transit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, United 1K, AA Platinum Pro

I have an upcoming trip the Maldives and had a few questions about transiting / visa needs in Dubai and Sri Lanka.

I am flying Emirates from LHR-DXB and then flying on Sri Lankan DXB-CMB-MLE. My connection time in DXB is 3:30 hours and 2 hours in CMB. Do I need visas for either connection in DXB or CMB?

On the return, I'm flying Emirates MLE-CMB-DXB and then flying DXB-HKG on separate tickets. I have a 2 hour connection in DXB. Again, do I need a visa for that connection?

Any information is highly appreciated.

Last edited by vicmag76; Apr 10, 2017 at 10:52 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Welcome to FT!

In addition to reaching out to this community, you should check with each airline and each consulate/embassy. This is too import an issue to trust random internet replies. Get multiple data sources and make sure they align.

Last edited by 747FC; Apr 10, 2017 at 2:29 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Welcome to FT!

In addition to reaching out to this community, you should check with each airline and each consulate/embassy. This is too import. An issue to trust random internet replies. Get multiple data sources and make sure they align.
Will do. I also forgot to mention that I am traveling on a US passport.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
As a US passport holder, you don't need a visa in advance for the UAE for visits of up to 30 days; you would receive one on arrival at no cost.

I assume the UL flights are all on one ticket, so they will check your bags from DXB through to MLE (and vv) and you will transfer airside at CMB without needing to clear immigration. PS I think your third para is wrong ...

As you have separate tickets, I am concerned about the transfer times in Dubai. I would *not* assume that EK will check your bags through to MLE (and vv), which means clearing immigration, collecting your bags and re-checking. If the stars align, it's just about doable on the outward but very tight on the return. DXB is a very large airport and you will need to transfer between terminals 3 (EK) and 1 (everyone else); this is all indoors with moving walkways, but don't underestimate the distances involved.

Immigration can be a zoo; I think I've done well if I get from aircraft to kerbside in under and hour.

You can take advantage of the Marhaba meet and greet service at DXB that will 'intercept' your bags and transfer them to the next carrier without the need to go landside. ISTR the charge is around USD80. More here: http://www.marhabaservices.com/engli...ces/meet-greet (on the 'Transfer' tab).

Checking in online where possible will help.

I believe Sri Lanka has now moved to an online e-visa system, if you needed to cross the border.

And yes, double check with the carriers and embassies, and assume the worst case scenario.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
As a US passport holder, you don't need a visa in advance for the UAE for visits of up to 30 days; you would receive one on arrival at no cost.

You can take advantage of the Marhaba meet and greet service at DXB that will 'intercept' your bags and transfer them to the next carrier without the need to go landside. ISTR the charge is around USD80. More here: http://www.marhabaservices.com/engli...ces/meet-greet (on the 'Transfer' tab).
OP: Make sure you note to all concerned that in addition to being a US visa holder, that you are arriving from LHR.

Marhaba convenience is definitely worth the cost!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:58 pm
Company Representative, Milaidhoo Maldives

No, you don't need a visa to transit either Dubai or Colombo, but I would ask if you're not planning to visit Sri Lanka, why are you flying through there? Better just to go DXB-MLE and save yourself several hours of flying time and the opportunity to lose your luggage on an unnecessary transit. Emirates have several flights direct to Maldives every day.

Regarding luggage, most likely Emirates will check your luggage from LHR through to MLE but it's worth contacting the airline to be sure.

Kat
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MilaidhooMaldives
No, you don't need a visa to transit either Dubai or Colombo, but I would ask if you're not planning to visit Sri Lanka, why are you flying through there? Better just to go DXB-MLE and save yourself several hours of flying time and the opportunity to lose your luggage on an unnecessary transit. Emirates have several flights direct to Maldives every day.

Regarding luggage, most likely Emirates will check your luggage from LHR through to MLE but it's worth contacting the airline to be sure.

Kat
Thanks for the response. I'm flying through CMB mostly due to connection times and space availability. I'm flying with just carry-ons which should eliminate the risk of connecting flights (I haven't checked a bag in over 10 years).
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Without checked bags, on arrival at DXB, just follow the transit signs to the transit desk and pick up your onward boarding pass(es) (assuming you've checked in online beforehand).

Clearly there is still a risk if your EK and UL fights are on separate tickets, e.g. if your inbound is delayed and you miss your connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.