Community
Wiki Posts
Search

when to arrive at TLV?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
I Each person needs to individually determine the risk he or she is willing to take in order to get an hour of extra sleep, or eating on the way to the airport, compared to possibly missing the flight.
Exactly !!! Finally - someone who understands the meaning of logic and responsibility.
Was the lunch worth all of the pressure and hysterics?? I'm sure they will never do that again. BTW, when I said "departure lounge", I meant the departure hall.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbgg
Exactly !!! Finally - someone who understands the meaning of logic and responsibility.
Was the lunch worth all of the pressure and hysterics?? I'm sure they will never do that again. BTW, when I said "departure lounge", I meant the departure hall.
1- I could be wrong but I dont think anyone advocated that if a person shows up 3 hrs before their flight instead of 2 hrs that they are nuts. If anything most everyone agrees that everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with, and if you dont know (for whatever reason) if you will be pulled into a longer security exam or how long the lines will be, then its best to not cut it to close

2- Lounge or departure area are all the same to me I prefer arriving checking in , dropping off my bags and knowing that I can head straight to the gate as boarding will start soon after I get there.

People have talked up how great SIN or HKG airports are among others.Ive been to both numerous times and what I said above still holds even regarding both of them, being able to time it to get to the gate a few mins before boarding starts is what I try to do, regardless of the lounges or terms. For me a 14 hr flight is no problem, however getting to the airport and having even an hour to hang before boarding starts I try to avoid
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by craz
1- I could be wrong but I dont think anyone advocated that if a person shows up 3 hrs before their flight instead of 2 hrs that they are nuts. If anything most everyone agrees that everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with, and if you dont know (for whatever reason) if you will be pulled into a longer security exam or how long the lines will be, then its best to not cut it to close

2- Lounge or departure area are all the same to me I prefer arriving checking in , dropping off my bags and knowing that I can head straight to the gate as boarding will start soon after I get there.

People have talked up how great SIN or HKG airports are among others.Ive been to both numerous times and what I said above still holds even regarding both of them, being able to time it to get to the gate a few mins before boarding starts is what I try to do, regardless of the lounges or terms. For me a 14 hr flight is no problem, however getting to the airport and having even an hour to hang before boarding starts I try to avoid
People posting questions on the forum are unfamiliar with the airport and are looking for responsible advice, not instructions on how to play "airport chicken". You are giving advice without any background knowledge about the person and often not knowing the hour of their flight, discounting the possibility of the unexpected such as traffic jams, security alerts, etc. So I will continue to be the responsible adult here and recommend three hours to everyone; If they decide to arrive later and miss their flight it will be entirely their responsibility. (no "But someone on FlyerTalk said .......")
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:43 pm
Suspended

People posting questions on the forum are unfamiliar with the airport and are looking for responsible advice, not instructions on how to play "airport chicken". You are giving advice without any background knowledge about the person and often not knowing the hour of their flight, discounting the possibility of the unexpected such as traffic jams, security alerts, etc. So I will continue to be the responsible adult here and recommend three hours to everyone; If they decide to arrive later and miss their flight it will be entirely their responsibility. (no "But someone on FlyerTalk said .......")
1stly in almost post Ive said alot depends on ones profile and what time their flight is. And that its not a 1 size fits all for everybody. But if a person isnt flying out during the extreme peak times then I still hold 3 hours for most people isnt necessary.

Nor is the 2 hours they tell you to be at the airport here in The US for a domestic flight. Yet again if flying out during the main peak times even thou not going Intl, security will be backed up due to the 100s if not 1000s who are flying Intl and everyone goes thru the same TSA, or early morn flights are also bottled necked. But usually flying out at 11am no need for showing up 2 hrs before the flight, during peak times mentioned above 2 hrs may be cutting it short in many airports

and yes Ive missed flights since the line (even for Biz) wasnt moving and I had bags to check-in.Waited well over an hour on the line and ended up reaching the counter 2 mins after the deadline and was put onto the next flight. Now had the csrs behind the counter not small talk with each passenger when the lines are miles long Im sure I would have made it on time. And no I didnt change my ways but did change the times Im willing to fly out that airport, on domestic flights
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:54 pm

1stly in almost post Ive said alot depends on ones profile and what time their flight is. And that its not a 1 size fits all for everybody. But if a person isnt flying out during the extreme peak times then I still hold 3 hours for most people isnt necessary.
Do you honestly think that the average tourist knows when the 'peak times' are at TLV and what his security 'profile' is ?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Do you honestly think that the average tourist knows when the 'peak times' are at TLV and what his security 'profile' is ?
sort of Yes to both

1 the avg tourist will not be here on FT, although not everyone on FT is familiar with every Country and airport. Id say most asking about TLV pretty much arent new to flying but maybe to TLV. And most do mention about either having stamps(Visas) in their PP from countrys that dont recognize Isarel, or will be flying in from Jordan or Egypt

2- regarding peak times, Id say the vast majority of those flying will be flying during peak times, if the are heading to Europe as those flights are either 5am or 5pm. those flying non-stop to NA, those flights dont leave during the main peak times

Again I have no skin in the game people can arrive 4 hrs before so that they can be among the 1st to check-in when their carrier opens up. I find no matter which Country or Airport the carriers always say to be there way ahead of when one really be there

I think its best that we agree to disagree on this subject
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:15 pm

The only thing that we disagree on is the extent of responsibility when posting advice.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:02 pm
Suspended

The only thing that we disagree on is the extent of responsibility when posting advice.
All I can say is even while getting to TLV < 2 hrs before (not recommending folks do that) there are still any # of folks waiting to drop their bags off, thats been with AE,LX,OS,LH,UA,AC,BA,AZ, many of those flying were not Israeli or Jewish and there are folks still coming after Ive gotten there

Ive told some folks what they doing regarding connecting in TLV was a bad mistake, since most likely alarm bells will go off, but I stand by what Ive said, if a person isnt flying out at the peak times then in most cases there is no need to be there 3 hrs before. Since most carriers counter agents dont get there till 3 hrs before it takes them time till they get everything eaedy to start taking care of the passengers, exception would be LY since they have flights going all the time. If they are flying Biz or 1st 3 hrs again isnt needed.

the main advantage to being there 3 hrs before is you wont have to wait on the check-in line, as youd probably be the only ones there
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:23 pm

the main advantage to being there 3 hrs before is you wont have to wait on the check-in line, as youd probably be the only ones there
It's quite unlikely a person arriving 3 hours before would be the only on there, since there will be more "unseasoned" PAX who will arrive 3 hours before, actually it only takes one tour group of 50 pax to clog the check-in counter completely, one more reason not to arrive 3 hours before
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Har! That's when half the plane is already lined up and waiting for the check-in counters to open! And this being Israel, the agents show up at the T-3 hour mark, and take their sweet, sweet time ramping (and I mean the whole gamut: chatting with colleagues, getting some coffee, heading to the back because they forgot to bring a pen, booting up computers, loading printers, etc). It's T-2.5 before any action really happens, usually.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Ditto
It's quite unlikely a person arriving 3 hours before would be the only on there, since there will be more "unseasoned" PAX who will arrive 3 hours before, actually it only takes one tour group of 50 pax to clog the check-in counter completely, one more reason not to arrive 3 hours before
Outside of LY, the longest lines are always at T-3.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:28 am
Suspended

just got a call from Israel, a friends kid asked me when he should arrive to check-in, I told him at least 3 hrs before. His UA flight tomorrow night is soldout in coach as is the morning flight and most flights tomorrow even via Europe (at least out of TLV).

He wants the VDB so I told him best to be there when they open up the counters, the neg is if they end up not needing you not only did you waste your time getting there extra early and you will have to hang out there till apx an hour before the flight when they will know for sure if they need Vols or not

Of cause I told him if he doesnt want to VDB then 90 mins is more then enough
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Of cause I told him if he doesnt want to VDB then 90 mins is more then enough
At 90 minutes he is probably looking at IDB if he has bags to check or any of the "high risk" factors that will be flagged by security.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boraxo
At 90 minutes he is probably looking at IDB if he has bags to check or any of the "high risk" factors that will be flagged by security.
1- he will do OLCI so doubt they will IDB him at T-90

2- IDB will pay alot more then VDB and ca$h to boot

3- 1 bag and being religious doubt he'd be 'high risk' especially that he flys over 1-2x a year
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
2- IDB will pay alot more then VDB and ca$h to boot
IDB is obviously the wrong term, he will be a no show in such a case, irrespective of whether he OLCI'd/had a bag to send etc., it is his responsibility to be at the gate before it closes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.